PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1989 Mercury Colony Park

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

torque converter studs are probably the single biggest PITA about installing an engine in a Ford.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Southern

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    torque converter studs are probably the single biggest PITA about installing an engine in a Ford.
    I learned about this on a friends 97 Town Car, then on my Taurus a few times. Dumb.

I did like the AOD's drain plug for the converter. Nothing there for the 4R70W.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 (2x) TC, 06 TC, 07 TC
    03 BMW 540iT, 04 Ford F150 4.6 XLT Reg cab, 8ft bed

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

yeah. The other cute trick about those studs, it is possible to force the engine up to the trans without lining the studs to the flex plate. You'll have to remove the engine and replace the pump after you do this, but it is possible if you really are determined. Never done that personally but I have it on good authority.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Southern

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    yeah. The other cute trick about those studs, it is possible to force the engine up to the trans without lining the studs to the flex plate. You'll have to remove the engine and replace the pump after you do this, but it is possible if you really are determined. Never done that personally but I have it on good authority.
    That I have heard about too. Just a really dumb design. Cest la vie.

I made sure to spin the converter, while pushing to make sure it sat back properly. I will get back to the wagon after I finish my garage mega cleanout and intake gaskets on the F One Fiddy.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 (2x) TC, 06 TC, 07 TC
    03 BMW 540iT, 04 Ford F150 4.6 XLT Reg cab, 8ft bed

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123