No announcement yet.

1989 Mercury Colony Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the heads off the engine this evening. And the intake and Plenum. Taking the heads to the machine shop tomorrow morning. Just want to make sure the heads are good, as well as have a new valve seals installed.

Zach is coming to help me remove the engine in my 89 on Thursday. It’s supposed to be 96°… Glad it’s fall :-(

Goal is to have the explorer motor in the wagon by the end of the day. I can do the remainder of assembly from there with timing cover, water pump etc.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Panther engine removal isn't as bad as Explorer engine removal, but it had it's moments. The exhaust was a real chore. Something just seemed off about it since I've dropped the early style converters from my car, and there was room. This one just didn't on the upper ones, plus, they were hulk tight. I think we spent more time getting those bolts off compared to most of the other work.

Anyway, engine did come out last night. Nick zapped off the oil pan and pickup. Distributor and fuel rail was pulled off. The sensors and related front Panther bits will likely be snatched off later.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Fire is the best lubricant for exhaust bolts. Heat until bright red, they zip right off. Need an oxy-fuel torch for that, propane won't do it. Plumber's torch might but it will take longer.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well Zach did the update - thanks Zach!

Yea. I have a few friends from New England. I’ve learned about the value of an torch - also known as bolt/nut remover haha. But glad it’s apart.

I won’t be taking this car on the tour of Lake Erie - but I will take the 90 in a few days.

I’ve removed all I care about short of the tube for the heater core, timing cover and harmonic balancer. It f8nally rained here for the first time in a month. Can you say drought? Engine is tarped. The good engine is in the garage.

Ordering magnaflow cats and a mark 7 D9s pcm.
          -Nick M.
          Columbia, SC

Comment

Here is the Marti for the wagon.
            2MEBM79F9KX702334_dlxrpt.pdf
            -Nick M.
            Columbia, SC

Comment

what is a deck lid release on a wagon?
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Very cool, glad you're making progress. You should whack a cam and a better set of heads on that beast if you're going to all this trouble. Oh wait, you're not going MAF are you? Shit, nevermind.

Comment

I really like reading the Marti Reports on these.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                    what is a deck lid release on a wagon?
                    im a bum and never responded. Excellent question i have no clue lol Ill go look through my brochure to see if there was some kind of special release mechanism...my 89 does not have any kind of button in the glovebox.
                    -Nick M.
                    Columbia, SC

Comment

Haha yea Im being "lazy" knucklehead - just using stock exploder stuff.

So Zach (Kodachrome Wolfe) has been an immense help thus far. Having a second person around to provide some ideas/guidance is a huge help. I know what I'm doing, but motivation is lacking at times. And I have too many projects...

So exciting news - the wagon has been pushed off the concrete pad since I'm done hooking crap up under it. I still have a solid day of tinkering around with stuff to get things set up properly (TB, IAT, plenum, EGR, vacuum , etc). Then its finally time to START IT!!! What a mother it was getting the flexplate, bell housing, engine and all lined up. I am not a GM guy, but the utilization of bolts on the torque converter is SO much better than trying to line up three things at once. Anyways, its all in and installed. Even replaced a couple of MISSING bell housing bolts. Accessories are mounted. 3G Alternator is installed (and now I understand why everyone recommends - I never followed why). The connector fitment at the alternator is the main thing. Resistance increases as spades seperate from heat/age/time and you have fire - esp if wires touch. My 90 still has the OG alternator...that thing needs to go!

Anyways, once that's done I'll be back in business and look forward to seeing how it runs with D9S Mark 7 PCM (thanks again Derek and Ashley!!!).
                      -Nick M.
                      Columbia, SC

Comment

torque converter studs are probably the single biggest PITA about installing an engine in a Ford.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          torque converter studs are probably the single biggest PITA about installing an engine in a Ford.
                          I learned about this on a friends 97 Town Car, then on my Taurus a few times. Dumb.

I did like the AOD's drain plug for the converter. Nothing there for the 4R70W.
                          -Nick M.
                          Columbia, SC

Comment

yeah. The other cute trick about those studs, it is possible to force the engine up to the trans without lining the studs to the flex plate. You'll have to remove the engine and replace the pump after you do this, but it is possible if you really are determined. Never done that personally but I have it on good authority.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              yeah. The other cute trick about those studs, it is possible to force the engine up to the trans without lining the studs to the flex plate. You'll have to remove the engine and replace the pump after you do this, but it is possible if you really are determined. Never done that personally but I have it on good authority.
                              That I have heard about too. Just a really dumb design. Cest la vie.

I made sure to spin the converter, while pushing to make sure it sat back properly. I will get back to the wagon after I finish my garage mega cleanout and intake gaskets on the F One Fiddy.
                              -Nick M.
                              Columbia, SC

Comment

IT RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOO.

Mega big THANK YOU to Zach - Mr. Kodachrome Wolfe. I can't believe it runs. It fired up last night at 1130And to be honest, the Explorer sat for...almost how many years 2? 3? before it ran. Engine made some sound on initial crank. But everything quieted up in a matter of a minute. I lost the dipstick tube! cant find it anywhere. Off to Pull A Part...

More on how things look, are done, etc later. Mark VII PCM works fine at idle and blipping the throttle in park. I have not driven it. I have some exhaust leaks to plug from the new cats air tubes/pipes.
                                -Nick M.
                                Columbia, SC

Comment

Working...
                                X