1989 Mercury Colony Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed, I love that car.

I'll most likely go the HO route too. Her car needs it most as it has the misfire. Got an engine lined up, just have to pull the trigger and get started with it all...
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

So this car continues to be a "turn key" car. Even with its massive oil consumption, pinging, etc it still does great.

It's AC continues to be amazing.

I bought a 96 V8 Explorer to replace the motor in the 89. THink I'll put a Mark 7 camshaft in with a Mark 7 PCM and drive/enjoy. Big project, it'll take awhile!

I do have some replacement seat foam for the driver seat. Prior owner(s) must have been really large, overweight people. The foam is dead and crumbling and gone in places. I can feel the springs and reinforcement in the seat cushion and backrest!

The JBL speakers from the 88 TC I got really are GREAT in this car. For factory Ford Premium sound with those speakers on the dash and doors, they sound GREAT.
      -Nick M.
      Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
      03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

What is massive oil consumption?
        Our K1500 seems to use no oil below a certain RPM, so at 70mph, no oil burn. 80+, burns about 2/3qt in 150miles.

LoL! about the seat thing, I know what you mean. When I bought my TC I smiled to see the original owner was a tiny guy of no more than 140lbs, if that even. Compared to him I'm a fat ass.

Is it the football amp?? I've got some JBL amps if you'd like to buy one to upgrade.

Comment

2-3 quarts every 250 miles lol. Chooching!

Yup everyone's favorite football amp.
          Mine works fine - so does the radio!
          -Nick M.
          Columbia, SC

Comment

wow... the only vehicle I ever drove that needed that much oil for had a bad rear main bearing seal leak that went down on the cats and would smoke bad when stopped at lights. That was a chevy silverado that my used-car lot owning uncle let me borrow for a few weeks. (he never let me drive any decent cars, just the wrecks.)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Reminds me of the engine that was in The Ice Car. It was breathing oil out of the PCV and a bit quicker than what you're seeing toward the end, but it still ran well enough. My dad and I put a hose in place to vent it down into the rear of the passenger fender to keep the car running until I got The Scab on the road.
              Eventually I would like to get that engine apart and see what's going on. I'm thinking worn rings, but I doubt I'll get to that engine anytime soon if ever (too much going on this summer and summer isn't even here yet).
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Holy shit, and I thought our boxes were bad! I'm guessing you see a lot of smoke out the tail pipe? I never see any with the K1500 or our boxes. Just a good thing we check the oil all the damn time.

Vic, it's funny how that thing went from not using oil to just wham over night type of thing. What kind of oil did you run in it?

Comment

It wasn't over night, there were warning signs. Lower intake leaked oil by the distributor when I bought that car. After fixing that the oil pressure switch sprung a gushing leak. Also, there was always oil in the TB and IAC (at least after changing the original clogged PCV screen filter). The part that was over night was the not staying running when I came to stops unless I helped it. That could have been a combination of things since I put the same intake and associated sensors on the "new" engine and don't have that problem.

As for oil, I've always ran the cheapest conventional stuff. Maybe not the best choice but that's what has been used without issue in the engine from my '89 which is at about 120k miles since being rebuilt back in 2003.
                  Last edited by VicCrownVic; 04-14-2017, 08:30 AM.
                  Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

My 66 is a smoke show hahaha. It's like 150 miles 2-3 quarts of oil lol and it's making a mess.

The remaining clear coat on the hood is really peeling now so no more clear on the car except below the wood grain haha
                    -Nick M.
                    Columbia, SC

Comment

Oooh, I was under the assumption it just happened. OH well, it's all better now. I run Valvoline SynPower in everything with Purolator Boss oil filters. I used to run Castrol years back. Valvoline seems to be doing just dandy.

Damn, that is a lot of oil haha.

Comment

Dang, that is a lot of oil. I don't think The Ice Car was quite that bad, but close at about 1qt every 100 miles.
                        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I took this car on a trip back in may up to greenville SC and back. By the time I was about 10 min from my house on the interstate, the car had a bit of a skip. When I got out of the car, the fuel pump was SCREAMING. I parked the car for most of summer and hardly drove it. Early November, I got the car out, and took it for an oil run (waste oil). It did a skip/buck once or twice didn't think much of it. NExt day was taking it up to Rock Hill SC and it was skipping badly. Had to make a U turn and bring home. I'm sure a plug is fowled, the fuel pump probably isn't happy either. The motor is just tired and worn out. Too bad, the car really was a smooth runner. Rode well and ran well.

Once I finish the front end rebuild on the BMW and do the timing chain guides on it, I'm going to start taking the Explorer motor out of the Explorer and get to building it up to put in the Colony Park!

----

Pro Tip!

I noticed when moving the vehicle out of its parking spot, I heard a sloshing sound in the rear. Thought it was jump seat area - dry.

Noticed the back pocket behind driver wheel was making sounds. I squeezed and pinched the fuel overflow hose and some crap came out of it. Droplets but still sloshing. So ran my hand around and felt some fiberous material coming out of a hole. Moved it and water came out. Looked and saw the drain hole had some crap in it - kept pulling and more and more crap came out.

It was the insulation matting glued to the back quarter had fallen into the pocket (old glue). So it clogged the drain! Now it flows beautifully. So if you want to prevent rotting out that quarter, keep an eye on that!
                          -Nick M.
                          Columbia, SC

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
                            Once I finish the front end rebuild on the BMW and do the timing chain guides on it, I'm going to start taking the Explorer motor out of the Explorer and get to building it up to put in the Colony Park!
                            If you need a second pair of hands, you can always give me a call. Should be more fun with some extra ponies under the hood.

My Cars:
                            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Part two of the adventure today was moving my rusty POS Ford explore out to the concrete pad by the workshop. This involved playing Chinese fire drill with the fleet. Using the equivalent of dollar tree tiedowns we were able to hook up the frame of Zack’s 87 colony park. After three efforts made to turn the explore, we were able to move it out of its spot that it was parked in March 2017 in my backyard . We were able to drag it from the rear crossmember (as the bumper had rotted off and fallen), as well as sticking the tiedowns in the rot holes to connect to pieces of the frame.

Now the process can begin. Time to pull the motor! 96 explorer V8 motor into a 89 colony Park. Let the fun begin…
                              -Nick M.
                              Columbia, SC

Comment

Explorer motor is removed.

Hope in next couple of weeks to be able to remove and haul off junk explorer. Then can let wagon disassembly begin!
                                -Nick M.
                                Columbia, SC

Comment

Working...
                                X