1989 Mercury Colony Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
    From what I remember, The one piece seal has to be installed in about 1/8 inch, not flush with the block. There is a special installation tool that makes it fit in that way. I remember reading if the seal is flush with the block, it WILL leak. WagonMan
    And this was the correct answer! Tat was my mistake, it's supposed to be staked back a touch, not flush.

BTW - Hello everyone. It's been awhile!

So it sat parked for a few months, then in December 2020, I drove it over to the transmission shop and paid them to do the rear main seal. Its a few hundred dollars of work, but my fault - so I can pay the stupid tax.

After I got it back in January, I put a car cover over it - I became busy with other projects. It was mobile enough for now. In like February this year, a 89 LTD Crown Wagon showed up at a Pull A Part an hour and a half from me. And thanks to Kodachrome Wolfe, he confirmed it had the K code rear end - it was a tow package wagon. A 3.55 Trac-Loc on a car with 96K original miles. So I went and pulled the rear end out (love southern cars).

Then in August, I decided it was time to do the upgrades on the suspension and rear end. Kodachrome Wolfe again came out - helped me pull the old axle housing out, and at least set the new housing in place with bolts in - that's not a fun job!!! The car sat for a few weeks, as I didn't have time with my job. He then came back AGAIN and helped me get everything bolted back into place. I replaced both rear dead yellow Monroes with some Bilsteins. Same with the fronts - both nearly dead Monroes replaced with Bilsteins. Did I mention I installed a Police rear sway bar and arms in the rear? The drums were cut, pads were replaced. 1 axle shaft replaced (found a NOS ford one), new bearing and seal. Driver side was left alone - it was fine. Bilsteins nuts (lol) require you to hold the shaft with an allen while tightening. I had room in the town car to do this - there was no room in the wagon. Zach had a great idea - replace the nyloc nuts with regular nuts and roll - agreed, so we did just that. the IAT was plumbed into the factory airbox up front. All brakes were bled. and a burnout test run was performed on the garbage old tires- the car runs GREAT! Wow. Lots of good tip in power for a land barge. Shifts are too firm, I need to dial back the TV pressure. I'm happy with it. The handling is hilarious considering what the car looks like - it shouldn't be able to turn so well for what it is (and how it looks!)

I did replace the return line for the power steering since it was making a mess with some newer style clamps - the old factory ones were not working properly. Greased the whole front end - which is still in good shape, no play in ball joints or tie rods. Very dry under the car now. Still lots of touch up stuff to do - add ons I'd like to do. But all in time. No rush. I installed some new Cooper Trendsetters with white walls on the 15" factory turbines. I just drove the car 165 miles for 3 continuous hours to my parents. It didn't lose a drop of oil or coolant. Can't tell the temp since the gauge reads pegged all the time (need to fix that). Also want to fix the exhaust leaks from the flanges and (non-existant) air piping.

I'm very happy again how well this car runs and drives. Many thanks to a truly great friend, Zach (Kodachrome Wolfe). Without him, this project would not have gone as well as it could have. I'll post some pictures of the car in the next few days after I wipe it down. Shame how faded the wood and paint are, so it's not much to look at.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

I have a full set of Bilsteins myself ready to install. I noticed the nylock nuts they provided and thought the rears would be a pain. I may go the same route. Thanks for mentioning that.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
        I have a full set of Bilsteins myself ready to install. I noticed the nylock nuts they provided and thought the rears would be a pain. I may go the same route. Thanks for mentioning that.
        Yea. I have the size noted (box with the nuts) - Will get that for you tomorrow. I may get another set so it's double nutted. Very happy with the ride quality.
        -Nick M.
        Columbia, SC

Comment

Always fun times with this car. It was definitely nice to finally not see it in an assumed service position. I think it's been about two-ish years since the heavy drivetrain work started and I definitely don't recall it going anywhere during then.

The Explorer swap and the K-Code made his wagon a pretty lively party once everything was going. Bilsteins on the corners and police rear bar definitely got it solidly planted on the road since I drove it like I stole it on the initial run out of his driveway. The LSD in the K-Code was not worn out and was working great on the hard rips.

His wagon definitely hits differently than a HO swapped one since the torque is more available down low. Certainly interesting being able to compare the two setups now in similar-ish vehicles. Still wouldn't mind toeing up the '87 up with his '89.

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
          I suggested the normal nuts over the nylock style ones because the old Monroes used regular nuts, which made removal a breeze. Throw a wrench on top, then twist the shock body and they spun right out. Same deal for installing the Bilsteins like that, since we fooled with the nylock setup for maybe about 20-25 minutes before it became obvious how much time was gonna be wasted trying to fit that trash up there. I think we had the rears fitted in about 20 minutes with normal nuts by just performing the removal technique in reverse.

Since I don't think a photo of the finished engine ever got posted, I did take one:

Very unassuming Explorer engine hiding out.

My Cars:
          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

The least nicest looking vehicle in the fleet, has the best battery in the fleet.

Once your wagon is back from the Doc, we can definitely do some side by side comparisons. Hopefully before the pollen begins!

Glad you took a picture, I neglected to. Love the custom IAT gasket, lol. Maybe one day when I flush coolant, I'll re attach the block heater setup.
            -Nick M.
            Columbia, SC

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
              Yea. I have the size noted (box with the nuts) - Will get that for you tomorrow. I may get another set so it's double nutted. Very happy with the ride quality.
              Yes. Please share!
              ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtvic View Post
                yes. Please share!
                m10-1.5
                -Nick M.
                Columbia, SC

Comment

copy. thanks!
                  ~David~

Comment

It's been about a year since I lasted posted about this car. I believe I fixed the cowling water leak - time will tell.

Otherwise, I've flushed the brake fluid and replaced the leaking master cylinder. Starter was stuck so whaled on it with a hammer, it's worked fine ever since. It's taken a 3 hour trip to my parents on the coast, gone up to Greenville, SC (2 hours), and it's gone into the applachians in the deep mountains of NC (some roads were like a 12% gradient). Temperature never went above 205 that I witnessed. AC works. Steers well. Good power. ALways entertaining to drive as it drives, stops, and handles way better than it looks.

The exhaust leak from the air tubes is annoying but I can hopfeully quiet it down. I did install cats back on the wagon as the exhaust smell was too strong for me. They are aftermarket. I had to get some exhaust wrap to enclose the top half of the cats - it was baking the floor board to over 100F, making things extra toasty in the summer. I do not like the Auto Climate Control garbage in this car - I wish it was manual, maybe a way to convert it someday.

I'm in the middle of converting to vent windows at the moment.
                    -Nick M.
                    Columbia, SC

Comment

E code headlight upgrade is complete. Hella housings with H4 bulbs. Headlight harness with relays installed. Light output is the equivalent of using a candle inside a lantern to a modern Mag lite with LEDs. Great light output, beam pattern is not blinding. I am very happy with the setup. Now as I traverse New England and Eastern Canada next week, I'll have a bit more confidence at night. Thank you again very much for the help Zach!

Vent windows are installed and work great. Replaced the wiper switch since the knob randomly flew off the end.
                      -Nick M.
                      Columbia, SC

Comment

Working...
                      X