19lb injectors without computer swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

19lb injectors without computer swap

Is it possible to upgrade from the stock injectors to orange 19lb injectors if you upgrade the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator? Or will the computer still make the car run too rich and idle/run like crap? I'm sure this has been answered a few times but I couldn't find the post. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance. The car is a 86 MGM.

It'll run too rich if it runs at all.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yeah, it'll run rich. The stock injectors aren't the power limiter.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Zero reason to do it on a stock engine, the factory 14#ers are plenty.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

eACH SIZE INJECTOR has different specks the ECM has to have programmed in.
          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Have a set of GT40 heads, a explorer intake, and 1.7 rockers and didn't want to throw them on and have it run too lean because the injectors won't keep up. Thanks for replies, I appreciate it.

Comment

With major engine changes like that the SD computer may just be ok with it. Worst case, you just swap them back out. My MAF lopo computer in the broken '90 took some time to adjust to the 24# injectors and eddy heads, intake, 1.7's, etc, but the right combo of things may let the SD one work just right. I say give it a shot. The Heads may bump your compression enough to make everything alright.

Comment

I doubt it honestly. I've seen that combo run lean with the HO cam and the appropriate ECM and injectors. I think I'd be throwing the cam and the ECM on the list for a swap if you're already down to the bare block. Pulling it isn't all that much more work at that point.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Not_your_grandpas_marquis View Post
                  Have a set of GT40 heads, a explorer intake, and 1.7 rockers and didn't want to throw them on and have it run too lean because the injectors won't keep up. Thanks for replies, I appreciate it.
                  Throw in a HO cam and Computer, then you can run the 19# and have a full HO swap.
                  2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                  2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                  2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                  1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

If you want an HO cam let me know. I have one that came installed in the rebuilt block I purchased from late model restoration. (I got the one with forged pistons and have no complaints aside from most of the threads needing to be cleaned out). Just PM me and we can work something out.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I'de definetly do a mass air ecu and 19's. The trouble with sd is it can't measure air flow quantity, at all. It just measures intake pressure which is essentially the same on a 150hp and 350hp setups.

I'm running 14.1's at 4300lbs just on motor, 20's mph cruise and passing etests on my comp xe258 which needs the 1.6rockers I have with those heads.
                      If interested, I'm switching to the xe270 after all the porting which needs 1.7 rockers. We could trade rockers and sell ya the xe258 if you're still on a cam hunt.
                      Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                      HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

I always thought of speed density as the "educated guess" system. Works fine if the parameters are programmed right but its got no ability to correct for changes in engine flow.

I actually have 1.7 rockers with an XE258. Not sure if thats what they suggest, but its what I had. My old Crane rockers were just wasted, and I had a nice near-new set of Scorpion rockers doing nothing. Hasn't blown up yet, and the Scorpion rockers fit under my stock 85 Mustang valve covers.

Comment

The primary pitfall of speed density is that it is dependent on manifold vacuum for reference with the pre-programmed VE tables. This is why aggresive cams with narrow lobe separation angles that don't generate enough manifold vacuum don't work with speed density. The computer can't make heads or tails of what part of the VE table it should use resulting in a badly running engine constantly hunting for idle. Based on what I've read, one should be able to get away with higher flowing heads, intake and throttle body as long as they stick with a stock cam profile or go with something that has an LSA similar to stock, like the XE258HR with its 114° LSA (stock HO cam is 115°). Bottom line, you pretty much have to keep it mild.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/elect...l-injection-2/

http://support.moates.net/theory-speed-density/
                          Last edited by Giraffe; 01-30-2017, 07:52 PM.
                          —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                          1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                          1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                          1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

It all sounds good on paper, but I know I'm not the only one who had fairly mild engine setups with stock cams run very lean with speed density. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "it should work fine". I used to do tech support once upon a time, and probably even said it myself. Sometimes it does, sometimes it don't.

Comment

"Your experience may vary" is a good byline for this kind of thing. You could slap a bunch of crap together and it may just work fine, or...be a total shitshow. Smart money is on MAF or tuning, but hey, if you wanna try it out, it's your car.

Comment

Working...
                              X