No announcement yet.

85 ltc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drove the 85 to work and heard water sloshing around in the RR door.
    Cleaned the crud from the drains, much better now.

Then noticed what appear to be the original upper ball joints.

The more I find the more I think, it might actually be an original 75k mile car.

85 LTC, Dark Canyon Red?/ 3.55 open/ HPP Wheels/ 4 Tone Horns/ ***POTM 5/2017*** SOLD
    06 LTC, Silver Birtch, Fully Loaded [ The Daily ] ***POTM 4/2018
    97 Mountaineer, 5.0 H.O. , 135k, Now with functioning window

89 LTC , Lowered, Straight Piped, (SOLD) 88 LTC (SOLD) Rough and Dirty, 2000 MGM, 2002 MGM, 96 MGM, 2005 MGM LSE (SOLD)

Comment

Checking the door drains is something that should almost be done annually. I don't know how shit gets down there but it does. I've had my driver's side door get stopped up twice.

FWIW, our '89 K1500 has 223k+ miles on it's original ball joints....
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
        Checking the door drains is something that should almost be done annually. I don't know how shit gets down there but it does. I've had my driver's side door get stopped up twice.

FWIW, our '89 K1500 has 223k+ miles on it's original ball joints....
        Ya, it was on the long list of shit that this car needs

It sounded like a grenade going off when the lower BJs on my 88 C1500 went at 130k. Those old Chevy's are terrible about that.

85 LTC, Dark Canyon Red?/ 3.55 open/ HPP Wheels/ 4 Tone Horns/ ***POTM 5/2017*** SOLD

89 LTC , Lowered, Straight Piped, (SOLD) 88 LTC (SOLD) Rough and Dirty, 2000 MGM, 2002 MGM, 96 MGM, 2005 MGM LSE (SOLD)

Comment

Funny,

When I had steering stuff replaced I went to get an alignment and with the mileage on it I just assumed all of that trash had been replaced at some point. Guy at alignment shop said the stuff was most likely original from what he saw. Not sure I believed him but what good was it going to do to argue with him? He said the stuff was tight so guess there's that however I see the upper BJ's are dry rotten so it's a matter of time.

Comment

upper ball joints hold up decently, its the lowers you have to worry about. About 120k seems typical.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The nuts are rusted to frig. What would one do, air hammer them off? I'm going to run them till they pop or get loose or we sell the thing. Done enough work to that damn truck but at least it's reliable now.

Comment

If thats what it takes, sure. If they're not loose, leave it the F alone. Prime directive and all. Just make sure you check it once in a while so you don't get surprise suspension disassembly.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                  The nuts are rusted to frig. What would one do, air hammer them off? I'm going to run them till they pop or get loose or we sell the thing. Done enough work to that damn truck but at least it's reliable now.
                  Burn it, sell it, crush it, all the above. The riveted ball joints on those Chevys can be whorrendous to change.

Comment

A lot of things used rivets to hold it to the arm. Boxes among them. An air chisel makes short work of it. If the nut is rusted solid to the stud though, thats a different problem.
                    Last edited by gadget73; 04-22-2017, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Sorry I put the above in the wrong thread. Should have gone in "What did you do today" Brain fart.

Sly: FIXED!
                      Last edited by sly; 04-23-2017, 08:29 PM.

Comment

"Surprise suspension disassembly" haha

I'll keep an eye on it then. The nuts are so rusted they have probably created their own unique size. Will most surely require an air chisel now. Distributer shitted out over the weekend but now at least it's running on all 8 again.

Comment

Recently-

performed a trans flush,

and an evac and recharge on the AC

I didn't have time to diag it but it's not working correctly... But, the compressor was activating.
                          It would turn on at 45 psi and run for about 2 seconds and drop quickly to 20 psi.

Comment

If the charge is proper, my guess is clogged orifice tube. The drier in mine failed and all of the little bits from it were in the tube. Hopefully its that and not full of black shit. That would mean the compressor is hosed, and you need a full system flush as well.

Comment

I have a new tube and high side R134 port to install. Hopefully I can take care of that in the next couple of days, not that I need to but rather want to.

Comment

If you're opening it, I'd stick a drier in there too.

Comment

Working...
                                X