85 ltc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L1011tristar17 View Post
    I don't think Kansas requires front plates, so you can have souvenir plates on the front. North Carolina is the same way too.
    Yup, as long as there is no registration sticker on it then they don't really care.

85 LTC, Dark Canyon Red?/ 3.55 open/ HPP Wheels/ 4 Tone Horns/ ***POTM 5/2017*** SOLD
    06 LTC, Silver Birtch, Fully Loaded [ The Daily ] ***POTM 4/2018
    97 Mountaineer, 5.0 H.O. , 135k, Now with functioning window

89 LTC , Lowered, Straight Piped, (SOLD) 88 LTC (SOLD) Rough and Dirty, 2000 MGM, 2002 MGM, 96 MGM, 2005 MGM LSE (SOLD)

Comment

Car is looking good!

There maybe a service bulletin and the owner's manual even suggests you can use 5W-30 in colder climates but my '88 didn't like 5W-30, made it super thirsty. 10W-30 cut back on the oil consumption quite a bit.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I think Ford stopped making (ok, badging, lets be honest here) 10w30, which had more to do with changing the suggestion than anything else. Same as why they suggest Mercon V in everything now, they don't sell original Mercon.

If it works, it works. You'll know if its not happy.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

This makes the second town car with 3.55 open I've seen. Unusual indeed. Car is looking better all the time.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

More progress.

Replaced the speedo cable, the speedo is off by 5mph, not going to worry about that for now.
            Replaced the drivers door handle.
            Replaced the drivers door window motor...

there's yer problem

Installed a new motor, lubed everything up and it worked great...
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0B4...ature=youtu.be

...until I drove to the gas station. Now it's acting like the motor is not making contact with the regulator gear.

Anyway, took the RF door panel off and lubed that window regulator and got it working nicely.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-co...ature=youtu.be

cleaned various parts I removed with the Ford approved cleaner

and vacuumed the drivers seat.

85 LTC, Dark Canyon Red?/ 3.55 open/ HPP Wheels/ 4 Tone Horns/ ***POTM 5/2017*** SOLD

89 LTC , Lowered, Straight Piped, (SOLD) 88 LTC (SOLD) Rough and Dirty, 2000 MGM, 2002 MGM, 96 MGM, 2005 MGM LSE (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              2 is an open. The axle tag would say 3L55 if it was a traction lock model. K is the door sticker code for 3.55 traction lock. I presume 2 is the open code.
              This site seems to be accurate... http://www.policecars.us/crownvicnewvin.html

Comment

Speedo off? Perhaps someone swapped the trans out at some point. Doesn't make sense that they'd go about changing the speedo gear for the hell of it.

Haven't driven my '88 is about a month. Good lord is it super comfy and smooth compared to the '92 F250 I've been tanking around in. Love it. New tires + alignment have done wonders for the ride quality. Your pics remind me that I found door handle trim for my car too, just need to clean it up and throw it on.

Comment

Given the mileage and the weak internals of pre '88 AODs a trans swap is a possibility. Shit even my '89 got a JY trans swap at some point in its life. Granted it had over 170,000 when I got it but still. The less than optimal trasmissio cooling (even tow package cars only got a dinky tube and fin cooler; nowadays we have aftermarket stacked plate units that do a better job) boxes got from the factory didn't help either. These are all easy fixes though, as I'm sure you've found. Very interesting you've got 3.55 open rear end, that's a highly specific option choice by whoever first ordered the car. Box Lincolns all came with 3.08 open by default if I recall... either way 3.55s are great. You get acceleration and fuel economy!
                  Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 02-14-2017, 10:28 AM. Reason: Added some context
                  '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                  '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                  '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Base Lincolns came with the 3.08's and SigSeries cars got a 3.27.

Comment

Pulled it in today and cleaned the interior.

Then pressure tested the radiator and found the upper hose puking at the thermostat housing, replaced that hose and retested only to find that the radiator has a leak too. Hopefully once I replace that it will be the end of these coolant leaks.

The more I look at this car the more original parts I find which makes me think it might have 75k actual miles.

Ran it through the car wash and was reminded that it needs new weather seals, but shined up decently.

Oh and the new drivers window motor I installed on Monday is toast, pretty sure the internal plastic gear set is stripped.

Comment

Vehicular bonding at it's finest!

Comment

You can fix the window motor gears super easily.

Shines up nice!
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Good get, looks like this has potential (and you're well on your way). I always find the base model Townies to be a bit of an oxymoron. Sure, they're better appointed than a midrange or low trim LTDCV but at the same time it seems like they water down the "prestigious image" Lincoln wanted to sell at the time. But every manufacturer has done it, so it's not that unusual. Just seems odd to me.

That mention about Sig Series Townies getting 3.27s is interesting. I coulda swore my 84 had 3.08, but I'll take another look. It would explain why it's not as much of a dog as everyone tells me it's supposed to be. It's practically quick off the line.

Oh yeah, and...long live EEC-IV CFI!

Current driver: Ranger
                            Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                            | 88 TC | 91 GM
                            Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                            Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                            | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by blkpnthr View Post
                              Good get, looks like this has potential (and you're well on your way). I always find the base model Townies to be a bit of an oxymoron. Sure, they're better appointed than a midrange or low trim LTDCV but at the same time it seems like they water down the "prestigious image" Lincoln wanted to sell at the time. But every manufacturer has done it, so it's not that unusual. Just seems odd to me.
                              Me too, I love a signature series or higher trim with the rest of the options like the Digi Dash, slightly better gear and load leveling suspension. I prefer the signature series cars though, they got the cool roof treatment with a call out, turbines (which were often deleted for credit), the pillowed interior and stainless trim along the bottom. I guess to their credit all box Lincolns were made at their own plant in Wixom, MI where Fords and Mercury's were made elsewhere so there is that.

That mention about Sig Series Townies getting 3.27s is interesting. I coulda swore my 84 had 3.08, but I'll take another look. It would explain why it's not as much of a dog as everyone tells me it's supposed to be. It's practically quick off the line.
                              I know that is a thing at least from '87 and on. I'm not sure about the cars made '86 and earlier..

Oh yeah, and...long live EEC-IV CFI!

Comment

Looks to be a keeper! I might be shunned but I prefer the standard dash. I think they're kewl.
                                Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Working...
                                X