No announcement yet.

85 ltc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah my exterior lights, other than the coach lamps, are stock. I do need to replace my front markers though. They're dipped bulbs instead of amber glass and they're basically white with a faint orange tint at this point.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      yeah my exterior lights, other than the coach lamps, are stock. I do need to replace my front markers though. They're dipped bulbs instead of amber glass and they're basically white with a faint orange tint at this point.
      That's ancient, lol. I need some new low beams, cause these suck

Snagged a pair of door seals from a 96 Ranger at the junkyard.

vs the old...

85 LTC, Dark Canyon Red?/ 3.55 open/ HPP Wheels/ 4 Tone Horns/ ***POTM 5/2017*** SOLD
      06 LTC, Silver Birtch, Fully Loaded [ The Daily ] ***POTM 4/2018
      97 Mountaineer, 5.0 H.O. , 135k, Now with functioning window

89 LTC , Lowered, Straight Piped, (SOLD) 88 LTC (SOLD) Rough and Dirty, 2000 MGM, 2002 MGM, 96 MGM, 2005 MGM LSE (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by LSE_Dave View Post
        I need some new low beams, cause these suck
        Not sure if you have a particular brand preference for your bulbs, but I've got GE Nighthawk Sports on the lows in the '87. They've got a really nice white color and are rather bright for sealed beams on factory wiring (probably would be better if I'd give it a relay upgrade). I probably should have upgraded the high beams at the time too, since they're not too hot on the brightness factor.

If you really want to upgrade, I'd suggest the Hella E-Codes. I'll likely upgrade the wagon to these on the low beams when one of the sealed beams go out. You can get the glass ones on Amazon. Only downside is they don't meet DOT specification, but ECE instead. It appears most folks that comment about them haven't had any issues with glaring other motorists, assuming you aim them properly like you should with any sealed beam. The benefit is you have a replaceable bulb inside of the housing so it's a bit more "modern" in the sense you just replace a capsule bulb instead of the whole thing. IIRC, the low beams use an H4 bulb. If you do the high beams as well, you would use an H1 bulb.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
          Not sure if you have a particular brand preference for your bulbs, but I've got GE Nighthawk Sports on the lows in the '87. They've got a really nice white color and are rather bright for sealed beams on factory wiring (probably would be better if I'd give it a relay upgrade). I probably should have upgraded the high beams at the time too, since they're not too hot on the brightness factor.

If you really want to upgrade, I'd suggest the Hella E-Codes. I'll likely upgrade the wagon to these on the low beams when one of the sealed beams go out. You can get the glass ones on Amazon. Only downside is they don't meet DOT specification, but ECE instead. It appears most folks that comment about them haven't had any issues with glaring other motorists, assuming you aim them properly like you should with any sealed beam. The benefit is you have a replaceable bulb inside of the housing so it's a bit more "modern" in the sense you just replace a capsule bulb instead of the whole thing. IIRC, the low beams use an H4 bulb. If you do the high beams as well, you would use an H1 bulb.
          Yeah, I was thinking about using the NightHawks for now then upgrading to an H4 aftermarket setup later.

85 LTC, Dark Canyon Red?/ 3.55 open/ HPP Wheels/ 4 Tone Horns/ ***POTM 5/2017*** SOLD

89 LTC , Lowered, Straight Piped, (SOLD) 88 LTC (SOLD) Rough and Dirty, 2000 MGM, 2002 MGM, 96 MGM, 2005 MGM LSE (SOLD)

Comment

Relay them. That bought me probably 3 years on the original low beams. It picked up better than 2 volts at the headlights. I replaced the OE plastic high beams after the car got repainted. I figured I'd worry about them when they were the worst looking part of the car.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It now saddens me to inform that you can't find American made glass sealed beams any more. I'm on my third chinesium one from Sylvania for our '89 K1500. All we have out by me are the chain parts stores and that's all they carry. That truck also had a high beam previously replaced with a Chinesium Sylvania that I just placed in the trash and replaced it with OEM originals from a junkyard truck since well I can't get ones that will work reliably. Not sure how this relates to topic but there it is.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Found out why the door doesn't seal correctly, the window frame is rotted and floppy.

I tried to adjust it but that just made things worse, now it hardly makes contact at all.

That's daylight from inside the car.

And installed 1 LED, compared to a normal bulb...

Comment

On our truck and my Fireturd, the main turnsignal flashes and then the sidemarker flashes with it.. I'd like to make my Town Car do the same thing, have you thought about that?

Comment

Could it also be that the weatherstripping is from the ranger? You can bend the channel the weatherstripping slips onto over to get it to seal better.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Probably not so much rotted as the welds broke. The rust is just minor from water getting under the paint. To take a guess at it, someone used to slam the door shut by the window frame or they used the window as a handle to haul themselves in or out of the car. Depending how bad it is, you may be able to repair it with some careful reinforcement.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                        On our truck and my Fireturd, the main turnsignal flashes and then the sidemarker flashes with it.. I'd like to make my Town Car do the same thing, have you thought about that?
                        I had my 2000 MGM setup that way, called the sidemarker mod. It would blink in unison unless you had the parking lights on, then they would alternate.
                        Here's a vid... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xGI9w2gSgE

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                          Could it also be that the weatherstripping is from the ranger? You can bend the channel the weatherstripping slips onto over to get it to seal better.
                          They fit perfectly, and just a bit larger than the factory ones I took off, but still wouldn't make contact with the bent window frame.

Forecast calls for rain, went to the hardware store and grabbed some window sealer strips.

No daylight and hopefully no water or road noise. Need to do the other side sometime too.

Comment

Originally posted by LSE_Dave View Post
                            I had my 2000 MGM setup that way, called the sidemarker mod. It would blink in unison unless you had the parking lights on, then they would alternate.
                            Here's a vid... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xGI9w2gSgE
                            Yeah that's it! Great way to describe how it operates and from your video seems like an easy thing to set up. I'll have to add that to my to do list.

Comment

I did the Daniel Stern Marker Flasher mod to my Vic Years back. Its cool.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Put together a parts list for an external trans cooler and temp gauge for the 85.
                                Plan is to install it inline with the factory "cooler" for now and see where the temps are, then probably install the thermostat bypass if it's not getting hot enough.

GlowShift trans temp gauge-

Hayden 677 stacked plate trans cooler, the medium sized one.

- Trans line adapter kit.
                                - Gauge pod
                                - InLine adapter for gauge sending unit.
                                - Thermostat bypass
                                - Various items to be procured locally.

Comment

Working...
                                X