Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please save this 88 Towny from an unappreciative loser!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please save this 88 Towny from an unappreciative loser!

this is a project car my friend and i started working on.. it was my buddies car. a few of you on here may remember it but anyway 3/4 of that list was done by me personally. its a very sound car.. the issue i have here is that the dick thats selling it, bought it from my buddy to flip it. obviously most people who are gonna buy it arent gonna give a shit. its a little rough but overall solid. however in a few winters it will be trash.. since so much time effect and care have gone into restoring here id really not like to see it get sold to somebody whos not gonna appreciate it.

the list is accrate on the ad. all of it has been done, just not by the seller.

for those a little more tech savvy, it has monroe air shocks in the rear with new cargo coils. most of the car has been converted to LED. fresh tuneup. (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil) new brakes, newly rebuilt trans, mustang shorty headers, 2.5" H pipe with O2 bungs and cat delete.

any questions, ask me

https://fortwayne.craigslist.org/cto/5994048574.html
    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

You see how much gas is in that thing? Wow, and here I thought I knew how to fill up my tank!
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

yea... lol... i also know price is negotiable
      Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
      Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
      Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
        You see how much gas is in that thing? Wow, and here I thought I knew how to fill up my tank!
        Hahahaha jesus! Never gotten that much in the LTD. Lucky to get that POS to full. Wonder if he filled up the trunk too. If the price was lower it might gain some traction, but I wouldn't pay more than $1500 from some riddler who didn't do any of the work.

Comment

Mine goes 75 miles between a fill-up and the time the needle drops to F. Its a Lincoln thing, we're more optimistic than you pessimists with the never-full Fords. On the other hand, empty is empty, we can't drive for 50 miles on E.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah the '90 stays right in the middle for a LONG time before dropping quickly to 1/4, then E, but certainly more than 75 miles. Guess the Lincoln just empty their tanks more smoothly, lol.

Comment

My 88 stays pegged full for about 40 miles but takes 70 to actually point at F. E means about a quarter tank left (when the low fuel light comes on). The DOT directly under the E is the real "better get your ass to a gas station" mark. The 93 takes about 40 miles to get down to F but E means E on that one. You have MAYBE 20 miles or so of range from E in that car.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                If the fuel sender on that thing works on low resistance when empty and high when full, I'm gonna venture a guess that the sender doesn't have proper connection to the gauge. Just did that myself last week, forgot to plug a connector back in after messing with its associated wiring and it just so happened that one carried the frame harness grounds - no external ground for the gauge (plastic tanks, so wired ground is mandatory) means open circuit means "high resistance" means gauge readings high as a kite.

Also appears the front corner lamp are missing their lenses? I know they are clear lenses from the factory, but this is way too clear, like pretty much invisible clear.
                The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

On mine, I think the arm is a little bit tweaked from the tank swap. I know what it means though, and its repeatable. 1/2 tank is pretty dead on 10 gallons used.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Fuel sender for analog '88 LTC will be the typical box resistance:
                    Low fuel = high resistance = 60-86 ohms
                    Full fuel = low resistance = 8-12 ohms

Unlike the oddball '89 LTC that uses the same resistance range as all '90+ panthers:
                    Empty = 15 ohms
                    Full = 160 ohms

So I guess something may be shorted.

Every box I've ever owned goes a bit above F, but I've never seen anything like that.
                    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

So the '89-up are like what I got, 160 full but if you leave the ground off it moves the needle way past where it normally parks when full to the brim (which is quite a bit past the F mark to begin with). On the opposite end I need 5 gallons from bone dry till the float even touches, that's 15% of the total capacity for that tank - seemed reasonable reserve, seeing how she can easily pull down 10mpg when fully loaded and in adverse conditions (steep mountains, shit winter fuel, rabid werewolves howling on both sides of the road). In a Panther that would equal to 3 gallons, which will give you about the same driving distance if bad-case scenario.
                      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

That's how my fuel gauge is, it's wayyyy up past full like that until it's almost empty, then hunts around for a little bit before settling on empty. There is still is bit of gas left in the tank, but not much once it goes to E. Resistance on my sender is out of whack, and it's not easy to find a sender for those two tank unit cars with analog gauges. I have to reset the trip odometer each fill up and get looking for a gas station at about 300 km. With highway driving it'll still not be on E and take significantly less to fill it back up, but then again it's no secret these cars are a lot better on gas on the highway than in stop-and-go driving.
                        If I were to pay $2k for a car, I'd want it to include both park light lenses installed. Though it is awfully nice of the seller to include complimentary cocaine on the seats for the new owner lol.
                        Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                        Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Comment

I was kidding around with the fuel gauge thing fellas!

Sent with my phonic while eating biscuits & mustard with French-fried taters mm-hmm.

Comment

My gauge does weird stuff too so I figure someone has been in the tank before and that the sending unit is dinked. Ashley's is perfect.

Sent with my phonic while eating biscuits & mustard with French-fried taters mm-hmm.

Comment

That's a damn nice lincoln. Just a little too much $$$, and too far away.

-1994 Lincoln Town Car...always under construction

Comment

Working...
                              X