No announcement yet.

LED Headlight Bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never noticed a decline, my bulbs have been in for two years and I drive the car daily. Then again I've got sealed beams, not sure if there's a difference really.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Looks like the braided heat sink one has been discontinued. That's why I couldn't find it earlier. Bah.

I did find the trick to installing the ones you had though... supposedly the heat sink unscrews after removing the set screw and you very carefully remove it over the external ballast connector and then install the retainer ring and put the heatsink back on. Very much a PITA. The eBay link you posted seems to be one of the only sources left for that one. It should work like a charm and be plenty bright. Of course, compare to the halogens pointed down the road to see how far they actually throw light to be sure. 9600 lumens is plenty close to 10,000 for the pair. I think most of the 10K+ sets are actually overdriven and won't last long. Another source would be the GTR gen3 (pretty expensive - 3-4 times as much, but easy to install), but they're a mixed bag when it comes to the reviews. I do know it's hard to find good LED bulbs though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

sly,
        Where did you find that information ?

When the HSF screw is removed, you can pull the HSF away from the bulb and that's it. It looks like the manufacturer ran the wiring through the HSF and then soldered the wiring to the circuit board.

I tried removing the clocking screw and pulling the bottom part that holds the red O-ring. However, there was too much resistance and I didn't want to chance breaking something.

Even if I could have gotten the retainer ring on, the height of the HSF prevented the dust cap from being secured.
        Last edited by uihdff; 02-14-2017, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uihdff View Post
          sly,
          Where did you find that information ?

When the HSF screw is removed, you can pull the HSF away from the bulb and that's it. It looks like the manufacturer ran the wiring through the HSF and then soldered the wiring to the circuit board.

I tried removing the clocking screw and pulling the bottom part that holds the red O-ring. However, there was too much resistance and I didn't want to chance breaking something.

Even if I could have gotten the retainer ring on, the height of the HSF prevented the dust cap from being secured.
          Ah... must be a different design. The one I found had a small plug on it that went to a ballast then to the plug into the car harness and had that same style bulb fixture. But it was screwed on instead of slip on.

either way... pain in the ass.

find one that has a removable collar or is small enough to get the lock ring over it. Definitely go with a fanless option as those generally last longer.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Just wanted to let everyone know this bulb didn't work out either.

The bulb could be installed with the retainer ring and was held securely. The dust cap couldn't be use though due to the wiring harness being so bulky.

The problem is that there was no difference in brightness between low and high beam. It was as if it supported one setting.

Unfortunately, it couldn't be determined whether it was on low or high beam.

The difference in brightness was remarkable. The Sylvania halogen bulb was like looking at an amber turn signal light. The LED bulb was like looking at the noon sun.

Comment

well crap.

This is why I've never done anything like this to mine.

Comment

New video review showing bulbs brightness and beam pattern. Several good ones and even more horrible ones.

Comment

Working...
                X