LED Headlight Bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED Headlight Bulbs

This is for a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis LS.

I'm trying to replace the headlight bulbs with 9007 HB5 LED bulbs.

Those bulbs fit into the hole.

The problem is the plastic locking ring that holds the headlight bulb in place cannot installed due to the non-removable heatsink being in the way.

Has anyone been able to get around this issue ?

Have you checked behind the oring for set screws?

Comment

GM_Guy,

What are you referring to when you say oring and set screws ? On the headlight assembly or the bulb ?

The 2003 Grand Marquis has a black ABS headlight retainer ring with interior tabs.

Over a halogen bulb, this retainer ring is easily screwed in place.

However, LED bulbs have fixed heat sinks / fans that block placing the retainer ring over the bulb.

Is there a work around for this ?
      Attached Files

Comment

Try putting the locking ring on the bulb before putting it in the housing. I don't know if the retainers are solid enough to keep you from finagling them over the "wrong" way.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

sly,
          Tried that, but the tabs on the retainer ring won't fit past the red o-ring on the LED bulb.

Comment

In the picture... you see the 45º picture... there's a set screw. That probably allows removal of the heat sink. You'll probably have to remove the heat sink, put the ring on and then put the heat sink back on.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by uihdff View Post
              GM_Guy,

What are you referring to when you say oring and set screws ? On the headlight assembly or the bulb ?
              The bulb. In the picture with the three views of the bulb, on the front view you can see the set screw he's talking about right above the red o-ring, it's the shiny metal dot in the black plastic. Takes a small allen (hex) wrench of some sorts by the looks of it, I'm guessing something metric. Pull those (I'm guessing there are more than one) out, remove the retainer by sliding it up and over the LED, drop the locking ring over the LED till it rests at the bottom over the heat sink, reinstall the retainer with the small allen bolts. That should do it hopefully.
              Last edited by His Royal Ghostliness; 02-13-2017, 01:54 PM.
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
              The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

sly and His Royal Ghostliness,
                Tried that.

There are two allen screws.

The allen screw on the bulb is for clocking and does not separate from the heat sink / fan (HSF).

When you remove the allen screw on the HSF, you see the wiring through the HSF to the bulb is soldered to the bulb's circuit board.

The wiring would have to be cut to allow the HSF to be removed to allow the retainer ring to be attached.

It's difficult to believe that because of the retainer ring, LED bulbs can't be used.

After looking at various LED bulbs, even the smallest HSFs block the installation of the retainer ring.
                Last edited by uihdff; 02-13-2017, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Remove the O-ring, and see if there is another set of set screws hidden by the oring.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                    Remove the O-ring, and see if there is another set of set screws hidden by the oring.
                    ^^^ This ^^^

I seem to recall running into that issue with some stupid HIDs that I was removing in favor of standard bulbs, needed the lock-rings out of them HIDs and that's exactly where the screws for the retainers were, under the darn O-rings.
                    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

next time... get LEDs with those steel ribbon heat sinks. Those will fit damn near anywhere.

Comment

Or just keep slamming stock halogens or the Xtravisions in. I love Xtravisions, they really make a difference over stockers. Any time I've driven Ashley's '89 with her stock halogens it's like driving while squinting compared to my '88 with it's Xtravisions.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

sly,
                          I've already send the LED bulbs back.

These are the brightest led bulbs with the cooling belt I can find - 9600 lumen total.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-LED-Dual-...-/222311664153.

Is there a brighter bulb with a cooling belt - 10,000+ lumen total ?

Comment

DerekTheGreat,
                            I've tried the Sylvania SilverStar Ultra bulbs and they significantly decline in brightness within a year.

It's time for this car to enter the modern world of LED.

If only I had a 3D printer to make my own retainer ring.

Comment

Originally posted by uihdff View Post
                              sly,
                              I've already send the LED bulbs back.

These are the brightest led bulbs with the cooling belt I can find - 9600 lumen total.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-LED-Dual-...-/222311664153.

Is there a brighter bulb with a cooling belt - 10,000+ lumen total ?
                              This, I don't know... but lemme do a quick google... also... halogen 9007 produces 1350 lumens... so 3000 lumens would be plenty... can't find any from my usual sources... i'll have more time to look later.

Comment

Working...
                              X