CFI idle to high, how to adjust or can't I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CFI idle to high, how to adjust or can't I

My 85 2 door has a high idle. when I get to where ever I am going. I put it in park the idle goes high maybe 1500-2000Rpm like the choke is stuck. Is this adjustable or not. really doesn't matter how far I drive it. It still goes to high idle.

please help

Tim
    2000 Ford Crown Victoria
    84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
    85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
    89 Lincoln town car: RIP
    89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
    2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

There are two idle screws on this, one is the high idle, the other is the base idle. High idle is on the passenger side, tucked in near the hockey puck. The base idle is the plunger thing on the driver's side, the screw at the bottom of the plunger moves the "sled" that it mounts to.

Make sure the high idle is actually dropping out first. Most of the time when they do this, the linkage is gummy and it won't drop out. Flushing it with carb cleaner will usually take care of the problem. If you have changed the alternator and not connected the choke heater (the hockey puck) correctly, it also will not drop out.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well cleaned the throttle body. still high idle. Did cap rotor, wires and plugs. because I had a vibration at higher speeds through the gas peddle. So a slight engine miss. Thinking that the miss may affect the o2 sensors thus adjusting the mixture? I still have the high idle. Plus a gas smell after shutting it off. I also run through gas like a 1000 HP race car. I use almost 1/8 tank just driving 10 miles to work.
      Is there a replacement for the base idle solenoid? Not that I want to put to much into the intake of this thing since I am switching to either carb or EFI.

Tim
      2000 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

is the smog pump still there? if the valves on that are not bypassing and its got air going into the exhaust all the time, the sensor will see the engine as running lean and it will fatten the fuel mix to compensate.

The plunger only activates when the AC is on. Otherwise its just a screw. If the vacuum solenoid that runs it is messed up it will bump the idle ~200 rpm though.

Is it sitting on the high idle cam or on the low idle stop? That will determine what needs fixing.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

All of what gadget said but in addition to the plunger thing, it will activate at speed on the freeway, to keep the throttle from just snapping shut should you take your foot off- instead it lets it come down gently.

Figure out if it's actually coming off high idle and then look at the idle speed adjuster on the driver's side. IIRC it's like an 8mm socket. I'd say if the plunger on the driver's side isn't making contact with the throttle linkage then the high idle is probably still engaged. Also, with my car someone bumped the idle speed up to cover up clogged up EGR issues. When I tried to put the idle where Ford wanted it, it began to stall out all the time. So expect that type of problem if someone did the same thing to your car. The joys of CFI ownership. No need to slap a carb on it though.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I believe it is the high idle cam. The piece on the pass side. As soon as I tapped it it dropped down to a low idle.

Tim
            2000 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

vacuum pulloff is either not working or the linkage is sticky. Pull vacuum on it and see if it works and holds. if its leaky, you have your answer. Also possible the choke heater is bad or not hooked up, so verify that too. Stock it ran off the alternator stator, if you have changed the alternator from the stock design and not connected it properly it won't work.

Comment

I was able to verify that it seems like the choke heater is hooked to the Alt. A white/blk stripe comes from the choke pull off and goes to the lower part of the Alt. Drove it a few times where it would barely idle, from the get go. while others I needed to manually disengage the choke.

Tim
                2000 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

do you get about 6 volts across the two wires going into the heater with the engine running? The heater is the spring that applies it, and as the engine runs it gets weaker. This allows the pulloff to drop it out. One piece turns it on, the other turns it off. Both have to work or it doesn't function correctly.

If it won't disengage the high idle, the vacuum pulloff may not be working. Pull vacuum on it and verify it works and doesn't leak.

Comment

Working...
                  X