Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to Find Home for Gauges

Hey guys,

Where do you mount your gauges? Other than the speedo gauge cluster and the face of the dash where the police gauges go; where to mount? I have 4 gauges that I should use (water temp, oil pressure, voltmeter, a/f gauge); plus the tach, which will be mounted on the corner of the dash; and the trans temp gauge which has its own pod. The only place that I can see is under the glove box. I can do that with the risk of people bumping their knees on them. A pillar will need modification/fabrication skills that I don't have at this time.

The police gauges: they must be flat gauges, as there seems to be not much room for regular 2-1/16" gauges. The back of them hits the inner panel. Plus, it appears that if I cut holes, they will cut into the HVAC ducting. Thanks for any input.

Packman

There is ample room for the police gauges mounted above the glove box. The only issue is if you have auto climate control. If so, like me, you need to relocate the unit further to the passengers side. Plenty of room behind for gauges after the plastic is cut away. No fear of contacting the HVAC ducting. I run autometer gauges in that location that are DEEP. Don't let this discourage you.

In the past I mounted gauges onto the ashtray below the climate control. I used christmas trees (that hold the door panels on) jammed in the hinge (under neath and out of sight) to make sure the ashtray did not accidentally open. Worked fine for MANY years.

You can buy pods that sit ontop of the dash. This may be another option for you. I think one of those ontop of dash pods may be cool if reversed onto the headliner like an overhead console.

Triple gauge pod

Quadruple gauge pod!

Some ancient pictures circa 2009

My install of the first police auxiliary gauge pod

Second police gauge pod fitment

Second install of Police Aux gauge pod (metal style)

Speedometer mounted gauge install

All pics are from 2009 and 2010 EVERYTHING on the car has changed since. I still run the police gauge pod but with autometer gauges now.
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 02-20-2017, 05:50 PM.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Funny, I clicked on your Reader's Rides thread before going to this one. My CV has the Auto Climate; which (surprise surprise!) doesn't work anymore. Just the heater and fan. If I can run 3 of the gauges in the dash (my SunPro set), then I will run the other 2 gauges where the ash tray is. Nobody smokes and the cig. lighter doesn't work either. I think that's the least complicated route. THanks for the pics and advice Dave. Much, much appreciated.

Comment

NP.

Finding the actual ford piece may be a bit of a task so try this out:

Radio gauge pod.....adapt to above glovebox area

Same idea
        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

My Dad has sheet metal in the basement; I will cut it down appropriately, cut the holes, and mount the gauges with angle rings. I have 2 dash panels to play with (thank you donor '86 Country Squire, wherever you are) as well.

Comment

If doing angled rings there is no need to make a metal panel. Can go directly to the dash panel instead. Just have to really carefully layout where you will drill the holes so everything turns out even.
            ~David~

Comment

Yah, will need to drink a little something first though. Don't measure or cut straight dead sober. :-/

Now that I'm thinking of it; where do you run the wires and tubes for the dash panel mount gauges?

Comment

you can route wires/tubes out the grommet right above the passengers side footwell out into the engine compartment. Will be located deep under the blower motor behind the passengers side inner fender.

Dont know if mechanical water temp gauges will reach from that location. I run electric gauges where possible as you can install them anywhere. You are limited to around 6feet with the mechanical ones.
                ~David~

Comment

Hmmm........something to think about. Got my SunPro gauges years ago when I still ran my Malibu (was meant for that car). I'll see if I can make these mechanical gauges work. If not, then I will go electrical.

Comment

Suggestion, if you run electric gauges, consider a connector plug that will let you undo the whole bank of them. You can get multi pin male/female connector sets on ebay for small money. Makes it real nice if you need to pull the panel loose for some reason. I have I think a 6 way one that gives power, ground, illumination, and signal for my water, oil, and voltmeter setup.

If you go mechanical, use flexible stainless braided line for the oil pressure. The plastic melts and the copper will fatigue between the engine and the dash.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      Suggestion, if you run electric gauges, consider a connector plug that will let you undo the whole bank of them. You can get multi pin male/female connector sets on ebay for small money. Makes it real nice if you need to pull the panel loose for some reason. I have I think a 6 way one that gives power, ground, illumination, and signal for my water, oil, and voltmeter setup.

If you go mechanical, use flexible stainless braided line for the oil pressure. The plastic melts and the copper will fatigue between the engine and the dash.
                      +1 on both of these suggestions. I run multi-pin connectors for all my add-on shit: my left-hand switch panel uses a 24-pin square connector, the trim panel that's around it has another switch and some indicator lights on it so that got 4-pin round connector, and my right-hand switch panel gets 8-pin round connector for the "remote" wires going thru the firewall and a 4-pin round connector for the "local" wires that provide power and ground ans such off the dash main harness. Factory Ford connectors too, but I've been collecting harnesses and wires for years so I can repin them pretty much as I please.

For the stainless oil line look up turbo feed lines on evilbay, GrimmSpeed is cheap enough and has decent quality plus usually comes with an AN-style fitting on one end and also a proper adapter from that to NPT. Do keep in mid not all oil pressure gauges will have the 1/8" NPT threaded port to accept such a line tho - actually most of the cheap shit like Sunpro and the likes use a compression-type fitting to attach a copper or plastic line to the gauge directly, if you got that style you're pretty well fucked unless you can locate or built yourself an adapter to go from 1/8" compression to 1/8" NPT.
                      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I have a cupholder that I made and added 3 gauges to

I also added 3 to the A-pillar
                        1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

I just took out the ashtray and bolted mine there.
                          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

BlackVic_P71: I saw your write up on how you did the A-pillar gauge mount. Not at that level yet.........or ever. I was thinking about a floor mount cup holder or something. Thinking about a trip to the JY and start looking for center consoles to mess with.

His Royal Ghostness: yes, cheap SunPros with compression fitting and plastic nylon tubing. Giving some thought of getting a braided steel hose cover if they make them that small.

p71towny: Pez dispenser

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	1281386
                              Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Working...
                              X