No announcement yet.

Need to Find Home for Gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perty seats. They fit in really nicely that way.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Packman, the issue with plastic is the line has to run in close proximity to the exhaust manifold, and there's only so much heat it can take. So firts order of business should be running the plastic line thru some rubber hose, vacuum and washer fluid hoses work good for this. Then find some of that heat-shield sleeve material that you see on spark plug wires and power steering hoses, slide that over the rubber hose where it runs around the manifold. This should make things lots more reliable and quite a bit less likely to give you any issues. Or, get the SS braided turbo feed line from ebay and run it from the engine to a simple 1/8" NPT union somewhere on the fender skirting away from the exhaust manifolds heat, then use the 1/8" NPT compression fitting provided with you gauges kit to connect the plastic line to the same union. Hell the GrimmSpeed turbo line is 4ft long, that should be enough to reach the firewall even, so even less heat for the plastic line to bask in there.

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
      Perty seats. They fit in really nicely that way.
      +1, on both counts.
      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
        locate or built yourself an adapter to go from 1/8" compression to 1/8" NPT.

I've never seen compression male on any adapter, pretty sure it doesn't exist. NPTM and NPTF to compression female exists though, likely it would have to use a short length of tubing with the compression ferrules to tie the two together.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          I've never seen compression male on any adapter, pretty sure it doesn't exist. NPTM and NPTF to compression female exists though, likely it would have to use a short length of tubing with the compression ferrules to tie the two together.
          Yeah that's kinda what I figured. Standard compression-to-NPT fitting will do the job. I truly hate compression-only gauges, to the point where my NPT-port one is so oldschool it has the stupidest backlighting in the form of a rubber grommet holding a rice-grain-sized miniature bulb with wires soldered directly to it. Yeah that bulb setup didn't live long, so the gauge is now externally lit via LEDs. Still great works as far as oil pressure indication goes tho. The 4ft stainless line was long enough to run directly between the engine and the gauge, my oil pressure ports are at the back of the engine tho. Still, there is enough length that the line could reach the front of the engine as well if so needed, as is the cause with Windsor-type engines, but it would have to be routed differently under the dash thru a firewall grommet in a different location.
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
          The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I plan on using the autometer angle mounts and putting mine above the glove box, and/or in the A-piller.

Tim
            2000 Ford Crown Victoria
            84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
            85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
            89 Lincoln town car: RIP
            89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
            1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
            1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
            2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny View Post
              I just took out the ashtray and bolted mine there.
              Okay, exhumed this thread to ask how to remove the ashtray? Mine looks to have rivets and bolts; and I am not sure what to do with the cig lighter.

Comment

on boxes (up to 89)... you remove the 2 screws for the radio trim and then one screw up underneath, just behind the ashtray.

on aeros and whales you release the clips and slide the ashtray/cup holders all the way out and there's 3 screws holding the track up.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

C4. Pack the ashtray with it, and it will come free of the car. You're on your own for any incidental damage that results
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oh yeah... Cig lighter is constant power, so mind that... it just unplugs.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

It's been so long since I took it out lol. It unscrews??
                      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Buddy of mine and myself made up an adapter plate to put a gauge in the clock location if that interests you.
                        Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                        Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                        Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180314_083434.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	1283427
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20180314_083201.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	1283428
                          Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                          Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                          Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Originally posted by marquis_82_withneons View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]49886[/ATTACH]
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]49887[/ATTACH]
                            What size is the hole?

LOUD EXHAUST IS FUN! AM I SHOUTING?
                            1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by marquis_82_withneons View Post
                              Buddy of mine and myself made up an adapter plate to put a gauge in the clock location if that interests you.
                              I solved that problem by finding a center console from a Sub Forester (1994), cutting it in half, and using the forward half as the gauge holder. I have it in my Reader's Ride thread. My problem is that the driver is vertically challenged and with the seat moved all the way forward; some of the gauges sit under the ashtray.

Comment

i got an autometer gauge pod for a superduty/ram that put 3 gauges above the rearview mirror. they look great and you can see them perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                                X