No announcement yet.

1980 Continental Town Coupé

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope you can find front seats in better shape from a junkyard.
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by phayzer5 View Post
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers
      I'd be offended if that wasn't such a fitting statement.

The bad thing of that interior is the color is oddly rare. Maybe try white front and rear seats? would set off the interior in pimp fashion.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
      The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
      It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
        The bad thing of that interior is the color is oddly rare. Maybe try white front and rear seats? would set off the interior in pimp fashion.
        I was thinking, since the carpet needs replacing along with the seats (rear seats are usable, but leather is cracked in places), that I'd just go with a simple black carpet and seats. For those, I was thinking of keeping it all in the family and going with a set of mark 8 buckets. Maybe replacing the center panels with some sort of tan/ light brown velour to tie it all together.

I've had thoughts down the road of redoing the top and painting the car black above the pinstripe/body top edge for a two tone look.

Maybe dark cordovan for the top/paint and seats instead of black?

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
        '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
        '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Idk what the Mk8 seats look like, but Mk7 LSC seats are some of the most comfortable ones I've ever had to spend hours into. In a stick-shift Mk7 even, on an interstate turned parking lot, so lots of clutching action and still I never felt any fatigue anywhere. Lots of adjustability in the LSC seats, even the very front of the bottom pillow can be extended forward a bit for better leg support. Made by Recaro supposedly, which would explain the ergonomics. Hell I got Recaros of my own, they are bare-bones model with minimal adjustment options (fore-aft, tilt, and height for the driver only) and they still just feel right and super-comfy.

Another seat donor to consider would be Taurus SHO. Super-comfy again, lots of adjustments, bit more square than the LSC seats tho so may be a better match style-wise for a box Panther. Also generally somewhat wider than LSC seats, so possibly better suited for a person with a wider build who may feel a bit cramped in the LSC seats.
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
          The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

If you're not an average height/average weight person or under - the Taurus SHO seats are a bit narrow up til 95. The 96-99 SHO seats are more accommodating. No special adjustments except the 96 model year had articulating head rests.
            -Nick M.
            Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
            03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

The SHOs I had were your typical 6-way power plus air side bolsters and lumbar support. Non articulated head rests tho. Pretty comfy for me, but I am not of a wide-frame build. Friend with several Mk7s dislikes the LSC seats cause they're too narrow for him, he prefers the Bill Blass version - quite a bit less side bolstering there tho, they are very much like Towncar seats in that regard.

Sit in and try out is the best way to pick them really.
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

At the Pull A Part! Bring a trash bag to cover the nastiness on the seats.
                -Nick M.
                Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

my chief complaint with Mark VII seats is that they get hard. My driver's seat is very comfortable, its got a lot of ass time in it. The passenger seat is like sitting on a public bus seat, hard as a friggin rock. Also, leather, which doesn't age for shit. I will never understand the fascination with putting dead animal hide inside a car. It cracks and gets to looking all shitty after a while.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I was thinking, since the carpet needs replacing along with the seats (rear seats are usable, but leather is cracked in places), that I'd just go with a simple black carpet and seats. For those, I was thinking of keeping it all in the family and going with a set of mark 8 buckets. Maybe replacing the center panels with some sort of tan/ light brown velour to tie it all together.

I've had thoughts down the road of redoing the top and painting the car black above the pinstripe/body top edge for a two tone look.

Maybe dark cordovan for the top/paint and seats instead of black?
                    You could die your door panels. I used the paint that they call "dye", holds up pretty well. I will say. Maybe do a tu-tone look on the door panels too? I do approve of the two tone, I've been thinking that for mine, too.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      my chief complaint with Mark VII seats is that they get hard. My driver's seat is very comfortable, its got a lot of ass time in it. The passenger seat is like sitting on a public bus seat, hard as a friggin rock. Also, leather, which doesn't age for shit. I will never understand the fascination with putting dead animal hide inside a car. It cracks and gets to looking all shitty after a while.
                      I thought that's the same kind of material Panther seats got, which is vinyl of some sorts? But yeah, you're right, stuff does get rocky and cracked...

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
                      You could die your door panels. I used the paint that they call "dye", holds up pretty well.
                      That "dye" also works well for headliners and such, and even carpets!

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                        I thought that's the same kind of material Panther seats got, which is vinyl of some sorts? But yeah, you're right, stuff does get rocky and cracked...

That "dye" also works well for headliners and such, and even carpets!
                        Mine didn't crack, it just started to wear away on the arm rest and show the red underneath. But that's after a summer of daily driving it. I would just do more coats and maybe clear next time, on arm rests.

Did not hold up on the carpet on the bottom of the doors well.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Yeah, arm rests will take abuse, especially if you don't wear long sleeves. Not sure clear will help you there, but certainly worth a shot. The carpet thing, idk about durability there, I'll take your word for it. I only dyed the carpet under and behind the seats anyways, so it's not going to wear out.

Comment

Holy cow how did I miss this thread? Very happy you were able to find a recipient for those good parts off your '84. The fact it's the in same color just sweetens the deal. Far cheaper to repaint those taillight extension/filler pieces than it is to paint a whole car. Only thing to watch out for is water traps and rust behind the roof trim/under the vinyl top- the frenched rear window cars are notorious for that. Can't tell if it's just dirty or if it's faded from the pictures. Regardless, I wish you the best with her!
                            Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 03-20-2017, 12:16 AM.
                            '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                            '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                            '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Did some minor stuff to the car recently. Replaced the door pins, which turned into a debacle after the but/washer thing inside the body fell out of its clips. Disassembled the rear trim to fix that up.

Figured out that the brakes go to the floor because the driver front brake line is rotted out just before the rubber. Decided to steel (!) The one from my 84, which turned into a "why not big brake things while I'm at it", so I ripped all that off the 84

Picked up some steelies at the yard during the memorial day sale. Need 16"+ for the big brakes, and instead of dropping $600 on new tires for the cobras, I figured I'd roll in stealth mode for awhile on some used 16s for cheap. Having thoughts of going with something in 18x9 anyways, so I might sell the cobras to fund that.

Score of the year so far: brand new EnS bushing kit for ~$13 shipped and sold by Amazon [emoji1]

P.S. - What kind of fuckery is that pulley?

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                              '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                              '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

P.S. - What kind of fuckery is that pulley?
                                Must be a 351 thing, as I've worked on a '80 Town Coupe with the 302 and I don't recall seeing that mess. Why Ford used this instead of the twin serp belts, idk, could very well be a 1-year-only thing till their shit together for the later ones.

Comment

Working...
                                X