No announcement yet.

1980 Continental Town Coupé

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frigidaire compressor? The 79 Vic had that, and it used a belting arrangement like this.

Does this have the rare factory tubular upper arms?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      Frigidaire compressor? The 79 Vic had that, and it used a belting arrangement like this.

Does this have the rare factory tubular upper arms?
      No its some sort of Motorcraft unit that I haven't seen before. Belt is missing and clutch is seized, so it'll probably gonna get yanked eventually

Don't think I've seen an actual picture of what the tubular arms look like before, but this is what's on the coupé. Looks tubular to me

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
      '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
      '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Thats a Frigidaire. GM usually used them, but Ford did as well in the late 70s, after they got away from the piston compressor that looks like a lawn mower engine.

and those are indeed the tubular arms. Totally tubular doood
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My 79 Town Coupe had the one Gadget just posted. You could hang meat in that car. 4lbs of R12!
          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
          Past Panthers
          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Thats a Frigidaire. GM usually used them, but Ford did as well in the late 70s, after they got away from the piston compressor that looks like a lawn mower engine.
            Also sometimes referred to as a "Harrison log" (Harrison being GM's A/C division, "log" being the shape of the thing). Yup, the thing is a beast when it all works properly, that said I'm guessing there's good reason why the higher-end standalone A/C units (think roof-top add-ons for buses and Aussie long-haul trucks) still use piston compressors (Yorks) instead of the swashplate design most light-duty engine-mounted compressors have switched to since the 80s. I'm thinking I may just switch my disasterpiece to a York this summer, may actually fit better in space available as well.
            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
            The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

hmm... I wonder if there's a piston that works on efi boxes.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

York will do. They are very tall tho, so it must lay on its side - which causes it to pass oil into the pressurized circuits, which is not an issue in its intended use in A/C systems, but it does become one when it's used as an on-board source of compressed air for running air tools and filling up tires and other such shenanigans. It will require a custom mount tho, as it's intended to bolt on a flat square bolt pattern whereas the factory swashplate compressor uses two opposing pairs of bolts on the bottom plus the single stabilizer bolt on the top. However, it should be pretty easy to fab a conversion bracket for the bottom mounts, and the top side shouldn't present much of a challenge as well if a welder and an operator for it are available.
                The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

The only issue is I don't even know if it works. I'm not sure I want to throw $100 bucks at a new clutch/belt just to see if it works, only to have to replace other parts of the system. I didn't miss it once I ripped it out of my 84, I just drove faster.

'80 Town Coupé

Comment

its a Lincoln. The AC needs to work just on principal alone.

Comment

Exactly! Lol
                      -Nick M.
                      Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                      03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Its also going to have a 408w eventually. There won't be much refined about its behavior. Plus, I can use that space for the monster turbo I've been thinking about...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

'80 Town Coupé

Comment

This.
                          Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                          Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Comment

well you can at least be cool in your unrefined Lincoln with a working AC.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The wind that car will be breaking with a 408 in it will keep him cool enough.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I think it takes more than air conditioning to make him cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X