PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally got her home

Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigvin View Post
    I'm guessing you were the same guy I settled up with when I picked the car up Monday night. You are the man.... White walls out ftw on a white top Vic with spoke hubcaps 
    Thank you again for taking care of her. Drove beautiful the whole ride home. I called Rob and thanked him as well for adjusting the price the pump for me.
    No problem. Just a heads up, the driver rear hub cap is not held on by a retainer, the thing is in the trunk but it looks like the nut that was welded to it is long gone.
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Too much stuff to list in my signature...
    Blue
    Gone! But Parts from it will live on in others!

Yeah I saw the retainer when I vacuumed the trunk before... Also found the nut for the hubcap lock bolt in there as well. But no spare tire cover
    So got It inspected today, put on the new driver mirror glass and cleaned out the interior as well. Tried a spot on the hood with some rubbing compound and boy is it toast lol. Trunk not as bad and roof being the worst. Also the front bumper is no way workable other than sanded and painted at this point.
    Here are some pics of the aesthetically debilitated areas.
    Hood
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170224_170817.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	47131

Name:	20170224_170851.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	47132
    Roof

Name:	20170224_170859.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	47133

Name:	20170224_170906.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	47134
    Trunk

Name:	20170224_170913.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	47136
    Bumper

Name:	20170224_170841.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	47135

Dash

Name:	20170224_170817.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	47131

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Take some tinfoil and water or coke and rub the front bumper. Will make it more bearable for the time being.

Cant help you out with the rest of the panels. They are toast.

Clean trunk interior or sure.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

If that doesn't work, fashion a hat from the remaining foil to protect your thoughts from the lizard people. At least some good should come of it.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I know the woes of toasted paint on the roof. I don't have any surface rust coming through though, just really faded colors from a meh repaint many years ago under the first owner. I'm glad my bumpers haven't rusted like that, though. That's rough.

Luckily everything is repairable in time. You have a good base to start on and essentially the only way to go is up. Should turn out nice when you're done.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (210K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Last car I had with really bad bumper chrome, I ended up taking a wire brush on a drill to de-rust it then I painted it. Not the most awesome look if you're into chrome, but better than rust.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I have 3 good retainers for those bolt-on hubcaps for boxes from my 88 MGM. That part should be the same.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

The hubcaps will stay on fine without those retainers, I removed those annoying things after the first year of swapping summer and winter tires. Hubcap retainers and wheel locks, two things that will get removed from my cars.

Alex.

I got rid of mine too, along with the hubcaps. No love for those rattly annoying things.

oddley enough, mine never rattled.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein

my center caps were actually the problem. they would rattle until I got going fast enough for them to stop. I honestly just don't like wire spoke wheels anyway so losing them was no problem for me.

ah... yeah... the centers are meh. Only one of mine rattled... but that's mainly because it was missing one prong and it didn't rattle much beyond 5mph IIRC and never could hear it in the car because tunes.

Well tried the aluminum foil and it started ripping to shreds. The pitting is pretty bad and will have to be steel wooled and top of bumper painted for now. The car actually runs and drives great for it's age and how original it is. As I go through it the more little things I see like some of the exterior trim is missing some chrome etc... I can't complain for the price, I only paid $750 for the car so putting $1k into it for now isn't to bad. The fuel pump set me back... was unanticipated and was hoping to take care of some of the cosmetics first. I'd like to at least get the front brake hoses, rotors/pads done for now so I have some more confidence running around in it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12