Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP Wheel Size help for my Colony Park!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP Wheel Size help for my Colony Park!

Just picked up my Merc, and it desperately needs some love on the muscle side of things. i have 2 different sets of cragars i could buy, both being staggered.

My question is can i run 14's in front? concerned about clearance with the front rotors.

Heres a pic of my 1986 Mercury Colony Park! Thanks in advance. Click image for larger version

Name:	16976202_1163334057097206_1047982535_n.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	1303809

Don't reckon you should have any trouble with 14's long as the backspacing is ok. Rotors on these things are tiny. That being said, measure twice, cut once.

By the by, welcome to the forum, that's a gorgeous Merc you've got there. You could always go 16 or 17" on wheels too, fill the fenders a bit more and there are plenty of tires available that are the same diameter at the stock stuff. Cragar does make some wheels that would look badass on these cars. Wish i'd been more patient when I bought wheels. Just have to get another car I guess.
    Last edited by knucklehead0202; 02-28-2017, 11:27 PM.

Comment

I believe you can use 14s. 1979-1982 Ford/ Mercurys had 14s as standard equipment. My 79 Ltd wagon had 14s. 82 Merc had 14s. 83 Merc has 15s.
      Post more pictures when you can. Include interior shots. Your car looks to be a special order.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2030.jpg
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	1281419Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2031.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1281420

These are all i could get cause its rather snowy here now. why would you think its Special Edition, im curious.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by WiscoTruckGuy; 03-01-2017, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Yeah, i was looking at some cragar-style OEM mustang rims that were 17s. I just wish they were chrome! Click image for larger version

Name:	ford-mustang-rims-3589b-b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	1281422

Comment

If you think you will ever do the big brake upgrade, get at least 16's.

Comment

I wouldn't run a 14". Too much sidewall, makes the handling go completely to shit. 16" will handle a lot better. Tire selection in smaller sizes is also not nearly so good, so you may well be left with a choice between trash.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I had 15's Cragar SS on my 82. They use the same center as the 14's but with a smaller rim obviously. No problems to report. The rim is steel and the same as any other steel rim, 14's fit fine. The 11in drums are close but fit.

I recommend holding out for the 15's as well. Handling is a huge difference even compared to 15's and getting 215/75/14 tires is getting difficult. They do make the same style in 17 and they look really good.
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Decent 14" tires are getting as expensive as 17s these days. And hard to find as well. Go at least 15", larger is better to a point.
                  The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                  The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscoTruckGuy View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]47163[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]47164[/ATTACH]

These are all i could get cause its rather snowy here now. why would you think its Special Edition, im curious.
                    It isn't a "Special Edition" but a customer special order. The Colony Park mostly came with upgraded features in packages. When a customer ordered one from the dealer, the customer had more flexibility to pick and choose options.
                    A few of items stand out on yours. There are no bumper strips. The radio is the low end basic model. The optional digital clock was not ordered. You have the optional ATC. The seats are the standard pattern, not the plush or leather type normally found on the Colony Park. There could be other items that the pictures don't show. You have a nice car especially from WI. I used to special order my new cars in Minnesota in the 80s. They were much cheaper at that time from the west coast prices. Like $3000 + cheaper ! It isn't that way anymore.
                    Last edited by Mainemantom; 03-02-2017, 01:16 AM.

Comment

After I found my wheels, really wanted to get these. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...45/overview/or these. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...1245/overview/
                      Both also available in chrome. For stock-ish tire diameter you'll want 255/50/17. Looks sexy as shit though. Really helps fill the fenders. Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1281423 That's the old car but I put those wheels and tires on the new one, same year, color, etc.

Comment

Nice car man! I hope your keeping her out of the salt! Also, what's up with the mismatched hood ornament?

Comment

Working...
                        X