Intake manifold info for interested...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake manifold info for interested...

So I accidentally on purpose ended up with a BBK SSI intake manifold. If you haven't seen it, they look like this. https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8

Anyhow, I know one of our members had a question about them a while ago, about whether it would work in a panther. Well, wonder no longer! The upper is completely reversible, and the vacuum connections look to be workable/adaptable to whatever may need done. They do provide extra ports. The intake is drilled and tapped in the proper areas for ECT and IAT sensors, so no worries there. In reading about it, some mentioned how weird it was that it relocates the EGR valve onto the upper intake. This seems to be the case, although it'd be a simple matter of an EGR block-off plate since we'd have to use our EGR spacer for throttle bracketry. Otherwise, the design is interesting, although this intake looks like it would be a bigger benefit to something larger displacement and/or forced induction, as it looks to have a very large plenum volume.

In reading a few tests they concluded something similar, that it's not a great idea for a stock motor, as it really doesn't start making power until air is really moving, shifting the power curve up higher in small-displacement stock-ish engines. A modded car with heads, cam, etc, may benefit more, and it'd probably be very happy on a stroker. The valley baffle is very impressive as well, basically running the full-length of the lower intake with a small area to allow airflow, but strangely some folks complain about oil-sucking with this intake. May be operator error but looking at this it seems less likely than other intakes I've seen.

Anyhow, figured i'd throw the info out there and i'll try to get some more pics up too. Hell I may end up selling it as I already have a good intake but we'll see what happens. My brother and I have enough crap to just about put together 4 engines at this point and neither of us are getting much done on our 2 cars these days, lol. More to follow and open to questions about specifics I can look at or photograph.

I had been looking at that just for asthetics, found one local for relatively cheap...but the seller didn't get back to me and the ad disappeared. Need pics.
    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Thanks for that info. I had wondered. They do look killer. Although it would say ISS if reversed. Working in a high school, that's in school suspension.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Looks like the SSI plate is reversible too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
          Looks like the SSI plate is reversible too.
          Yeah, that. It's just a rectangle.
          1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Where does the EGR valve actually live, down in the middle of all that?

Not really weird, honestly the Ford design of routing exhaust gas all the way up through the intake is sort of weird. Does more to heat the intake and cause it to get loaded up with smeg than anything else.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Got home late today and i'm hiding the intake in my trunk so the old lady doesn't see it, lol. Will try to sneak home early tomorrow and get some pics. Hard to describe but i'll get some pictures. Yes, the top cover is rectangular and is held on with 8 little screws so seemingly reversible. Also allows access to the plenum for port work, which this one seems to have a little of. Again, haven't decided but it may be up for sale. I'll do my damnedest to get some pics of it on here tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
              X