1994 f-150 motor into Vic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1994 f-150 motor into Vic?

Question here. Besides changing out the intake and things would this work with my computer of my 86 Vic? I know the oil pan will need to be swapped, but what else.

Is the firing order the same as well? I heard some years it's HO and others it isn't. My Vic needs a motor and this engine. Luckily I am not relying on this car for daily driving now so my situation isn't desperate.

But it will be after the engine swap.

5.0 in place of a 5.0??? what year car?
    The heads and cam would be different i would think but probably not enough to matter.
    sigpic

Comment

94 is the first year of HO/351W firing order in truck 5.0s.
      Therefore, your 86 LTD computer will not work with the truck engine as is.
      However, you can do different things to make this setup work.
      You can use an HO Mustang computer to enable the engine to run; leaving the current HO firing order cam in the truck engine. If you want to retain speed control in the Vic, use a Lincoln Mark VII computer. You would have to use the 19 lb/hr injectors from the truck and a higher flow Mustang fuel pump as well.
      Or, you can use the cam, injectors and fuel pump from the Vic engine and leave the Vic computer as is.
      Basically you have two options:
      1. Use all 86 Vic parts on the truck block (including camshaft) for a stock 86 Vic setup; or,
      2. Use truck block, heads, injectors, cam, with Mustang parts such as fuel pump and computer for an HO conversion.
      It really depends on what you want and what resources you have. The blocks are the same across the board.
      If the 94 truck is an automatic, do not use that computer in the car as it controls the transmission as well.
      I'm not sure if a computer in a manual trans truck will work in the car or not. Maybe someone else here can answer that part. I'm not sure if the 94 truck would be speed density (which your 86 Vic is) or mass air. If it's mass air, it definitely won't plug and play in the Vic. Conversions are possible, but I'm not well educated on that part.
      I'm going through all this right now with my 88 Lincoln. My donor engine is a 93 truck engine, last year for the regular firing order 5.0. I've gathered most of the parts to do the HO conversion, with hopes and plans to have it built within the next month or so. Waiting on my income tax refund
      Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
      Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

'86 Panther should still have standalone non-ECM cruise, so that's one less thing to worry about. HO ECM will still be needed tho, Mk7 one may be easier/cheaper to find than a Mustang one. Come to think of it I should have a D9S hoarded up on the shelf...

No need for fuel pump swap, factory Panther one is good enough to supply 19 lbs injectors.

Truck EFI is batch-fire, it opens 4 injectors at a time. Cheap ass basterds! You don't want that, keep the Vic's SEFI setup.

If truck cam is HO order it would work. Lots of torque down low, not so much in high RPMs, if you don't revv up to the Moon it would be alright. Should be a roller cam in '94 already too, so that's good.

No MAF on most OBS trucks unless it's Cali emissions specs. '94 should still be your regular speed-density setup.

Truck heads are E7s, you want those, don't mess with them.

You'll want to take the front accessories and timing cover from the Vic and put them onto the truck engine. For obvious reasons i you look at bot setups side by side.

Truck exhaust manifolds won't do you any good, you want Mustang or Mk7 shortie headers. Got a pair of those on the shelf as well, lol
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

The truck intake wont fit under the hood. Water pump is reverse rotation. Your 86 should have stand alone cruse control
          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
            No MAF on most OBS trucks unless it's Cali emissions specs. '94 should still be your regular speed-density setup.

Truck exhaust manifolds won't do you any good, you want Mustang or Mk7 shortie headers. Got a pair of those on the shelf as well, lol
            Um, my 96 F150 has MAF, and it's a Canadian truck, certainly not California. I know the 93 I got my engine from was speed density, I just wasn't sure about the 94. I figured it was probably SD.

Truck manifolds won't bolt up to stock box panther downpipes either. Agreed, the manifolds are only good for boat anchors. Better off keeping the Vic manifolds if he only wants a running engine with minimal fabrication and is OK with iron pieces for now.
            Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
            Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Shit. So the firing order is different god damnit! Nice to know that the cruise control is stand alone. That was a worry. I will probably be using my Vic's intake and stuff. I am not trying to make a racing vehicle here. Just a nice daily. So hopefully the stock headers fit from the Vic.

So I need an ECM.... Hmm may have to look at eBay. So mustang or Mk7? Might have to check out eBay. Any other things I need to know besides swapping more then a few parts? Finding these parts around me has been a bit of a pain. That's why I jumped on this engine. Everything else had five times the mileage and cost twice as much. So 350 for a running 94 motor with under 100k... I think I got a decent enough deal. But damnit about the firing order. Oh well.

I replaced the fuel pump with a CNT 255lph e85 back when I thought my fuel pump was causing me issues.( it was cheaper to purchase that pump and a NOS hanger assembly than to buy a shitty specter one. Also future proofing is nice.)

So let's see the parts I for sure need to get.

ECM..

Any thing else?

Comment

Is this the type of ECM I want? A ds9 costs 125.. And this guy costs a lot less. yet I can't decipher the ECM serial coding.
                http://m.ebay.com/itm/1985-1986-Ford...%257Ciid%253A4

Is an E6sf 12A650 what I am looking for? Or do I need to just take the kick in the nuts and pay the 120 for a d9s...

Comment

Any mustang/t-bird/Mark VII speed density computer should work (86-88 or the D9S). Use the 19# injectors from the truck and your current intake, timing cover, oil pan, water pump, and other accessories and keep the wire harness. Should be plug and play if it's from an automatic car. The manual ones are coded for a different idle speed and may cause issue. The VM1 in that auction is for a manual car.
                  Last edited by sly; 03-01-2017, 07:41 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If you are on a really tight budget, stick the Lopo cam in the new engine, use your existing everything else outside of the long block and no need for an ecm change. The heads are a bit better on the truck engine but not enough for the ECM to notice.

Now most folks would argue that while you had the engine out and the truck heads to do an HO conversion. That makes sense if you have a few extra bucks. That computer you linked to is not good for a couple reasons. It's from a 5-speed which is not something you want. It's also from an 86 which wouldn't be calibrated correctly to your better truck heads. You don't have to have a D9S but it will work. Any automatic trans speed density HO ECM will work for your 86. 1987-88 Mustang or 1987-92 HO Mark VII would be ideal. Here's a link to some of the ECM catch codes - remember look for speed density and the models above to be sure you're getting an HO. http://eectuning.org/forums/download...fc478c064bc309
                    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
                      Um, my 96 F150 has MAF, and it's a Canadian truck, certainly not California. I know the 93 I got my engine from was speed density, I just wasn't sure about the 94. I figured it was probably SD.

Truck manifolds won't bolt up to stock box panther downpipes either. Agreed, the manifolds are only good for boat anchors. Better off keeping the Vic manifolds if he only wants a running engine with minimal fabrication and is OK with iron pieces for now.
                      That's why I said "most", I know some late OBS trucks got MAF even without Cali emissions. Pretty sure it's just the 302s tho, cause baby car-like engine

Factory manifolds suck even with E5 heads, gonna choke the E7s down pretty good. Also much easier to change manifolds while engine is out, than once it's installed. Using factory Mustang/LSC headers should be direct match to the rest of the exhaust IIRC, been a while since I messed with a car that was all factory there.

Originally posted by DrHax View Post
                      Finding these parts around me has been a bit of a pain.
                      I got a D9S ECM from a Mk7 LSC. I was hoarding it for someone doing an HO swap locally, but I'm winding the whole car-fixing thing down so I don't foresee needing it any time soon or likely ever, and worse comes to worst I know where to get another one anyways. Got LSC headers as well, same deal there. Headers are optional as stock manifolds will bolt right up to the truck heads, but I see no point in keeping factory restrictive manifolds if there is better stuff out there for cheap enough, especially give the amount of work that is swapping engines. Do keep in mind that the headers do NOT have oxygen sensor ports in them, so you'll need your H-pipe modified for that. Adding said ports to the headers is doable, but the sensor will be in the direct line of fire of one cylinder more than the other 3, so it may not read quite as accurate. Never done it that way, if you wanna be quinea pig I can try and make it happen.

Use your lower intake from the Vic. You want the larger HO (Mustang and Mk7) upper intake and throttle body, they do make a difference. EGR spacer will need modifications, Jeff Boudah on here IIRC does those at a VERY good price, probably about half as cheap as it will cost you at a local machine shop.

Your fuel pump will work just fine. Use the truck injectors with the Vic fuel rails.

So for parts list:

- ECM (mandatory if HO firing order, check how the distributor wires are hooked up and you'll know)
                      - headers (optional)
                      - upper HO intake, TB, and modded EGR spacer (all optional)
                      - timing set aka chain and gears (optionally mandatory, stupid not to replace when all else is apart)
                      - timing cover gasket kit (mandatory)
                      - water pump (optional, but it's hard to reseal a used water pump due to Ford's moronic design of them)
                      - oil pan gasket (mandatory, you are swapping pans after all, use the Felpro one-piece kit)
                      - rear main seal (optional, but you are right there, and even tho new engine is low on miles its age isn't so)
                      - valve cover gaskets (optional, same deal as the rear main, use Felpro Perma-Dry only)
                      - intake manifold gasket set (mandatory, you are swapping intakes)
                      - exhaust manifold gaskets (optionally mandatory, factory didn't use gaskets with the manifolds but I doubt they will seal again on their own if moved from one engine to another)
                      - RTV (mandatory for the intake and oil pan jobs, optional but highly recommended everywhere else where a paper gasket is involved, I use Permatex Ultra Grey exclusively and it's never let me down)
                      - coolant (mandatory, get 3 gallons of premixed 50:50 long-life in any brand)
                      - hoses: upper rad, lower rad, thermostat bypass, pump-to-pipe short, pump-to-pipe long, and the two pipe-to-heater in the back of the engine (optionally mandatory, at least do the four heater hoses, rad hoses are easy enough later on but the small stuff is a giant PITA.
                      - thermostat and gasket (optionally mandatory, if yours has never been changed now would be the time)
                      - spark plugs and wires (optionally mandatory, at least do the plugs)

That should be about it, I'm sure I forgot something but this is a pretty complete shopping list. Some stuff you can do without, some stuff you can get away with skipping for some time and you'll be kicking yourself in the ass later for not doing it, and some stuff you just must do no matter what.
                      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

Any mustang/t-bird/Mark VII speed density computer should work (86-88 or the D9S). Use the 19# injectors from the truck and your current intake, timing cover, oil pan, water pump, and other accessories and keep the wire harness. Should be plug and play.

Looks like the program codes (catch codes) you want to look for are
                        DB1 DX3 VL2 DY3 D9S Others may work as well.

reference: http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page17.html
                        Look for SD-SFI /AUTO
                        I know with some TBirds and MARK VII, they supposedly used the lopo engine and computer. (8KC) So if that code shows up under Crown Vics in that list as well, ignore that code.
                        Last edited by sly; 03-01-2017, 07:59 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post

I got a D9S ECM from a Mk7 LSC.Do keep in mind that the headers do NOT have oxygen sensor ports in them, so you'll need your H-pipe modified for that. Adding said ports to the headers is doable, but the sensor will be in the direct line of fire of one cylinder more than the other 3, so it may not read quite as accurate. Never done it that way, if you wanna be quinea pig I can try and make it happen.
                          I don't think my Vic has an H pipe. It's a single exhaust, and when I was installing the glass pack replacement for my broken muffler I do not remember an H pipe. Just the headers bolting to the Cats which went to a Y like shape.

I wouldn't mind a o2 sensor on the headers. I've seen hot rod efi's weld a bung to the header and call it good. Heck even the Mexican VW beetle o2 sensor is placed pretty close to the one of the cyclinders more so than the other 3. What ever works works. I want to do this right with longevity in mind.

If anybody has parts they want to sell let me know. I honestly would not mind purchasing pieces from you guys since I know they should work. An HO conversion would be nice. Since my Vic isn't required for daily duty immediately I can work on these things.

Comment

OK, got you covered on the ECM thing then. What's your location anyways?

The headers, let me see how dimensions will work out before I reach for the welder. May have to angle the sensor a bit to get it where I want it, but that's no big deal.

I said H-pipe, you have Y-pipe, same deal. On a Panther the difference is from the cats back, the two "downpipes" that contain the four cats (two per side if they haven't been aftermarket-replaced) are always the same whether car has dual exhaust or single. You will want duals with the E7 heads, heck even factory heads benefit from dual exhaust, the E7s pretty much need it.

Comment

Isanti Minnesota. The zipcode is 55040.

Comment

Working...
                              X