Intellitronix Gauges in a box Vic? (86)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intellitronix Gauges in a box Vic? (86)

Hey guys. After having my crown Victoria do a lot of crazy things before its engine died and flashed the light of death.. I kind of want to know what the hell is going on with the new engine I am throwing in. I always dug the digital gauges the Lincolns got and such.

When putting custom gauges into a box is there anything I need to be wary of. Also how do I remove the gauge cluster. I removed the screws yet it ain't budging so that's a thing.

If you are at the stage where you can wiggle the instrument cluster, you will need to reach up behind the cluster to squeeze the speedo cable retainer, and while holding that, pull the cluster away. If its never been apart, it will put up a bit of a fight.

Alex.

Comment

Its easy to remove the cluster when you know how to do it. Like what was said above....reach up FAR behind the dash and feel for the speedometer cable. Push up on the tab and in the pull out and in one motion. Then SLOWLY pull the cluster away and attack the harness that clips in. Next up is the shift indicator. That will most likely break when trying to squeeze it between the shift tube to remove it from the car.

Why are your removing the cluster?
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Too take measurements and see what size gauges I can purchase. I'm eyeballing a couple on eBay that are digital and would actually give me some valid information other than the "We're fucked!" Engine light Can provide. My avatar should give an idea of why I want extra gauges to go with the new motor I purchased.

The only thing that leaves me scratching my head is the gear sector. Not exactly sure how I'm going to pull that off.

Comment

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dak-dgs-1b/overview/

works for me. Donald

Comment

Cluster is 14x5 1/4, I measured it yesterday...thinking about doing things...
            1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

I think I figured out something. Since the LED light kits I am looking at come with a smoked piece of acrylic and seeing through this is an issue. My brain thought what If you were to just wire up an LED to the sector slider to illuminate which one it's over.

Hope I worded that correctly.

Comment

Well I jumped on a create a dash kit.

by http://m.ebay.com/itm/Create-A-Dash-...=1360167019020

Not something I need, but it is something I do want.

Comment

Got my cluster out without breaking a thing! Now for some questions. Has anybody attempted putting in these digital gauges? I noticed the simple ribbon cable with a copper backing which is very easy to sodder too. ( modified a few things in the past that use this basic cable style.)

I know nothing about what inputs go to the original gauges. So I am not entirely sure which digital gauges I can simply wire to the original harness and call it a day.

I have A mph gauge with built in turn signals and trip meter. (Turn signals I presume I can just wire to the original location. And it comes with a transmission sensor.

Tach ( not 100% sure how I'm going to wire up this )

Oil. ( came with sensor.. Could I just replace the sensor and use the original wiring going to the dead engine light?)

Volts..( I presume I could feed off of the amps light right?)

Fuel. (Comes with a built in resistor this I am positive I can wire up to the factory location.)

Temp. (Once again not sure)

Also anybody know how to remove the speedometer units from the face plate. Mine works perfectly fine I just want more information at any given time . if somebody needs the fuel gauge or even the speedometer with a face plate just let me know. I just want a face plate. Hell it can be missing everything since the only thing I am retaining is the shift selector.
                  Last edited by DrHax; 03-19-2017, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Here's what I came up with for '89 (since I don't have an '86 EVTM), it should be the same for '86 for the most part.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Intellitronix_for_89_CV.png
Views:	1
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	1281508 Click image for larger version

Name:	89_MGM_CV_Cluster_Pinout.png
Size:	281.0 KB
ID:	1281509

For quick reference I labeled the wires 1-11 in the diagram from your instructions.

For the connections, it looks like your assumptions are correct and most of them can be made at the stock instrument cluster connector (C400), except for wire 3, 11, and most likely 8.

Wire 3 will connect to the output of the VSS. You shouldn't need the sensor that came with the kit but you will need to find where to tap into the VSS output. Assuming '86 and '89 are the same, pin 3 at the ECM would work, but my assumption may be wrong.

Wire 11 you will need to run to the green wire at the coil.

Also wire 8 I don't think will be connected to the stock cluster connector, but you don't actually need that unless it's too bright for you at night. If it is too bright I think you would tap into the output of the headlamp switch but I'm not certain of the details. Wire 8 only senses when the headlamps are on and dims the gauge lighting when the headlights are on.

I wasn't able to find which pin the HI beam indicator+ is on the cluster connector but you can trace that on the back of the cluster pretty easy.

Other than the speed sensor, replace the stock sensors like you were thinking.
                    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Name:	image.jpeg
Size:	961.2 KB
ID:	1281510

Nice to know this seems a lot easier then I was expecting!

Here's a crappy quick mock of what I've done. Turns out I can most likely use the original turn signals and the shift selector I will most likely wire an led light to the gauges power so it's always visible if the gauges are on. I think I may end up raiding some cheap ball point Pens for the part you click down to make the buttons uniform and the same height!

My fiancée thinks the whole idea is stupid and looks so.

Comment

I was digging out something for another project I'm working on and happened to find a spare '88-'89 MGM cluster... or what's left of it.
                        So I took a look back at the pictures I posted yesterday and made some edits.
                        As 87gtVIC pointed out in your other thread, pins 1 and 2 are tied together on the printed circuit on the back of the cluster so (if you're solderig right to the printed circuit like you said) you will need to break the connection between the two like he said.

Updated diagrams:

Name:	Intellitronix_for_89_CV.png
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1281511 Click image for larger version

Name:	89_MGM_CV_Cluster_Pinout.png
Size:	316.1 KB
ID:	1281512
                        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Thank you so much for your help! I was trying to dig through my service manuals but I was finding nothing only on how to remove the cluster. Good thing about pin 1 and 2.

I got the gauges mounted now I just need to make the cover for the dash and see where I need to trim.

Comment

The service manual doesn't usually have as much detail as the Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM) when it comes to electrical stuff. Although there was at least one instance where I found better detail in the Service Manual, so both are good to have around for electrical mods but the majority (if not all) of what you need will be in the EVTM.
                            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

For the VSS the car is getting an HO swap ( because of me purchasing the wrong motor.) going to be swapping with a ds9 ECM. Now what is the VSS? I saw mention of it with the service manual. I know in 1986 the cruise control is standalone, what exactly does the VSS do?

Comment

Working...
                              X