No announcement yet.

Intellitronix Gauges in a box Vic? (86)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IIRC the VSS sends the vehicle speed to the computer, which does something with it. You could use that signal for your speedo too. You might also be able to tap the computer's tachometer lead for your tach as well.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

VSS is the Vehicle Speed Sensor. It's mounted on the driver side of your AOD transmission. My '91 uses the same VSS as your '86 but starting in '90 the speedometer is electronic rather than mechanical like the '89 and older panthers. So the '90+ speedometer uses the VSS signal just like your Intellitronix gauge will. I'm not quite sure where to tap into that signal though. I would imagine that the stand alone cruise has an input from the VSS so you can probably just tap that, but I have no idea where that would be. I'm sure someone here does.

Or like Derek said, tap into that signal at the ECM if it's there.
      Last edited by VicCrownVic; 03-21-2017, 11:47 AM.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Okay cool. Thank you so much for the information given. This has to be the most helpful place I've ever been too.

Comment

I found the VSS harness all alone running from the transmission up behind the passengers side of the intake manifold (back of it of course) then over near the booster and into the cabin of the car along with some other wire. Green and black two wire harness on my 87 Crown Victoria if memory serves me right.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1281514Click image for larger version

Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1281515Click image for larger version

Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1281514Click image for larger version

Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1281515 here is what I got so far. The gauges are screwed in and mounted. I had to trim quite a bit of the walls and such to make this work. One annoying tidbit the grey wires and their sodder labels on the board aren't labeled like the instructions state they are.....

I am thinking about wiring the purple wires to pin 16. Not sure if that would work, but eh?

I'm happy I'm at the point where I don't have the cut plastic with exacto knifes and a drill bit somebody brazed to something during the 1940's anymorel.. Yeah those were my tools during this...

Trying to figure out the best way to sodder 6 wires to one pin..

Comment

6 wires to 1... solder the 6 wires to another wire and then solder that wire to the point you're going to.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

What Sly said. Make the connections before you get to the printed circuit so that you only have one wire to solder to the printed circuit.

Also, something I learned when doing similar modifications when I installed my '98-'02 P71 cluster in my '91 MGM. When you solder to the printed circuit don't do it so close to the stock connector. Heat from soldering can cause the adhesive to let go then those ends will peel up. I was able to save the ends (only had it happen on 1 or 2) by gluing them back back down. I made adapters ('90+ has two cluster plugs) and didn't leave myself room to work with, but in your case you have the whole printed circuit to work with. Soldering away from those ends might still cause the copper to no longer adhere to the plastic but it's not critical in the middle of the circuit like it is at the end where if the copper peels the pins on the connector can rip it off.
                Edit: I can't tell in the picture, but if pins 1 and 2 are joined very close to the connector like they are on the MGM cluster, you'll have no choice but to solder very close to the connector on one of those pins... just be careful not to keep too much heat on there for too long.

I'm looking forward to seeing the end result.
                Last edited by VicCrownVic; 03-23-2017, 09:52 AM.
                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

The technique I like to use is to put a blob on the printed circuit first after very lightly scraping the trace to clean off some of the oxide coating. Then tin the wire. Then put the wire down on the blob and iron on top of the wire and let the wire heat up first and as soon as the solder on the trace melts, remove the iron. If the trace lifts some superglue will fix it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I also used super glue, which so far hasn't seemed to cause any issues.
                    Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

What they said about the heat and the de-lamination. 100%true. What out for it.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I like it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0570.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1281518

What do you guys think?

I need to get an led for the gear shifter but that's it.. oh yeah and throw in the new engine with the correct sensors and wire up the wires does anybody have the pin red out for the ECM?

Comment

A touch too bright for me but that's purty neat. If I had my '85 I'd enlist you to make one so long as it dims.
                          I used the word bright but I guess what it is the "glow" around the numbers, the fuzz, if you will that gets me.
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Went to oriellys and picked up some led bulbs. I know I could buy them cheaper online but meh... I'll put them in. I'm going to need to modify the bulb holder for the shifter selector light. The circuit split in half on me. Delamination was an issue with with pin 8 and 2 the rest i was able to get far away from considering my car isn't on fire I'd say things worked out.

The glow isn't as bad as the pictures show it. The first time I put it in it didn't have the cover holy fuck that hurt. Also I ended up using the original cover I just got that dark tint lens spray. This was pretty costly and labour intensive, but damn am I pleased with how it looks.
                            Last edited by DrHax; 03-24-2017, 05:14 PM.

Comment

That looks absolutely amazing!!!
                              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I ended up trying one more coat of spray which was a bit too much.. hmph. :/ Also I need to see about removing some around where the gear selector is the led blinkers show up fine but the led light doesn't illuminate the selector enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X