Adding Factory Tweeters from 2005-7 model to my 2003

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding Factory Tweeters from 2005-7 model to my 2003

So on my 2003 Town Car - they did not come with factory tweeters. The THX cars received tweeters opposite the side view mirrors. I scored both NIB on ebay. So now I am trying to figure out how to hook them up in my car. A large long wiring harness 2 pin connector is there since cars that had them from the factory would have the wiring. I'm wondering how can I hook this up without splicing factory wiring. I have some aftermarket speaker adapters which I figured I'd need since I'll need a crossover right?

I'm a big n00b to car audio...can anyone assist me in layout, and what crossover or parts I should purchase? I can snip donor wiring from cars at junkyard too.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

IIRC, the tweeter should have the high pass filter built into it (capacitor typically). You should be able to run it in parallel to the woofer on that door. Pics if you got em of the tweeter.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Unfortunately, I looked thoroughly over the tweeter sail panels - no filter or nothing - just two strands of wire that are super long that run to a Ford speaker connector.

I use to be in to Tauruses. Yes we all make mistakes in life. The 98-2007 had MACH audio as an available option on those cars, which used a radio control unit like the 95-7 Town Cars. The stock RCU was like 12 watts, pretty weak sauce. The MACH RCU pumped it up to a whole 80 watts. Seriously, for a factory system, it really did sound and perform well.

Anyways, the MACH tweeters had a filter or something built in line. I was wondering if I could splice that into these Lincoln THX tweeters, then tap that into the factory wiring. Then I'll have what I think will be mostly highs coming up high and maybe some mids, with other mids and lows down low.
      -Nick M.
      Columbia, SC

Comment

Here is what I would do. You could probably just wrap it in tape and wire tie it inside the door. Take the output to the current door speaker and attach to the input. Then connect the new tweeter and existing speaker.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-Tre...257Ciid%253A17
        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
        Past Panthers
        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Ah ha I see what you got there. Hmm that does seem like a good solution.

I dont understand much with car audio, still learning.
          -Nick M.
          Columbia, SC

Comment

Working...
          X