X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a non motor craft tfi, not sure if that could be it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not likely but possible. I had a TFI module that I picked up from the JY that caused a miss at high rpms. Swapped it out and the miss went away, then I swapped it back in after a while and the miss was there again.

When were the plugs and wires last changed? Also double check that all of the plug wires are making good contact if they have been changed recently. Air filter due for a change?

You can also try reading codes to see if there is something that the computer is aware of being bad.
      If you don't have a code reader that's no problem, the link below has pictures illustrating how to hook up a test light or analog voltmeter to read codes if you don't have a check engine light (I think yours does but I'm not certain), otherwise only the jumper is needed and you can count CEL blinks.
      http://www.troublecodes.net/ford/

That link has some information that may not apply to your car, but it also has a list of codes.

Another link with code retrieval info: http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page13.html
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Wires and plugs were changed not to long ago, air filter is new, good fuel pressure good spark from coil, going to mess with the distirbotor

Comment

Timing doesn't change anything, put a spark tester on the coil and it's kinda patchy when you touch throttle. All it does is bog and start to pop and back fire which makes me think igniton, I have a feeling it might be the cheapo tfi I got but still unsure

Comment

is the TPS any good? if thats bad it will have a dead spot in the throttle. Should get a code for that.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Tps woudlnt make this happen, car will still run without the tps just not the way it should, something wrong with igniton

Comment

New TFI may be bad. Sometimes new parts just die.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Eery time my car was rnnig good then filled it p and ran bad was crappy fuel
                  Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                    Eery time my car was rnnig good then filled it p and ran bad was crappy fuel
                    Re read the post and read yours again please.

Comment

Did you check the vacuum and the pressure regulator?
                      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by colejackson72 View Post
                        Timing doesn't change anything, put a spark tester on the coil and it's kinda patchy when you touch throttle. All it does is bog and start to pop and back fire which makes me think igniton, I have a feeling it might be the cheapo tfi I got but still unsure

It's a shame that good money was spent on a replacement TFI if it is the problem. I'd hate to see you get another one and still have the same problem, but you may be right.
                        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

New tfi and still didn't change

Comment

I am at a lost here, timing is spot on new tfi newer coil newer distirbotor, new fuel pump tank filter

Comment

Head back to the codes and see if there is any direction that can be gained there, unless you already checked and came up with nothing.
                              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

One thought crossed my mind is you may have a timeing chain that is out of kilter and yes it can happen in high mileage engines so see if that is the case good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X