Need more help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need more help...

Car ran fine night before, get in today needed gas so I went out of fill it up, started having a dead miss every once and while under throttle so I filled it up with 93 like I usually do and it kept doing worse and worse, floored it up the road see if maybe just needed to be cleared out and it got worse to the point where it barley idles now and won't run at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_3204.MP4

Comment

Check the fuel pressure.
      If it's EFI (in tank fuel pump) the hose inside the tank between the pump and tank output may have split and most of the fuel will then dump right back into the tank. Has the fuel filter been changed recently?

Edit: '87, 302 should be EFI.
      Last edited by VicCrownVic; 03-10-2017, 08:25 PM.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Ah, you filled it up. Definitely a fuel pump then. They only die when its most frustrating to change you know.

Not kidding all that much, though I'm sure its coincidence. Check the fuel pressure, go from there. Fuel or fire, but this definitely sounds like fuel to me.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If you can check fuel pressure if below 36 psi need new pump.

Comment

Anything below 36 is bad?

Comment

I'm not at home w/service manual but I think 36 is in the good range. We're you able to get a reading?

Do you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key on but don't crank the engine? It should prime when you do that. If you don't hear it, it's likely a dead pump based on the slow death. A relay is either on or off, so it doesn't seem to be the fuel pump relay.
              If you do hear the pump it could be the in tank hose, or the pump going/gone weak, or even a clogged filter.
              Last edited by VicCrownVic; 03-11-2017, 03:34 PM.
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

This is what I got, barley idleing

Comment

So does that mean it's the pump in the tank?

Comment

32 with vacuum connected to the regulator, 42 without is the norm. 25 is too low. The regulators very rarely fail, but if you pull the vacuum line off and it has gas coming out of the reg, there's your trouble. regulator is on the fuel rail, and has a vacuum line going to it.

Fair chance its the pump, but try changing the fuel filter first. You might get lucky.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If the fuel pump reads below 36 PSI chances you will need a fuel pump my car the fuel pump went south car idled fine but no go fast it measured below 36 PSI so I had it replaced now my car runs fine.

Comment

It could be the pump unit fell apart inside the tank. My 88 Town Car did exactly what your car is doing now a couple of years ago. Turns out the pickup tube was almost fell off the pump, so it wasn't building up pressure even though the pump itself was working fine. I tried everything to avoid dropping the tank and removing the pump, but int he end I ended up having to do the big job.
                        Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                        Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Comment

I've had experience with fuel pressure at 20psi with a water logged fuel filter. Replaced and fuel pressure went back to normal. It can damn well be just the fuel filter after getting some shite gas.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

New fuel pump and tank, same thing, gonna try a new filter tomorrow

Comment

Learn from Karl Childers; Simple things first!
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                              X