Need more help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14: Ignition pickup (PIP) was erratic – Ignition Systems
    So you were on the right track when you said it seems like the ignition system. You mentioned putting a new distributor in, which should have a new pickup inside, so perhaps a defective part. I think this code would be the one I would want to address first.

63: Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) signal too low TPS
    Might cause you some issue but I don't think it explains what you have described as well as 14.

34: EVR – EVP sensor is/was high – EVR (if that's a memory code)
    This one would rank lowest of the three on my list to address.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

34 could mean the EGR valve is stuck open. If so, you'll have low vacuum and the fuel mix will be very rich.

Black plugs is rich fuel mix. Low vacuum to the MAP sensor would definitely do that. Check the vacuum line if you haven't and give the rest of the lines a looking at while you're at it. The MAP sensor reads engine vacuum to determine load. Lower vacuum is assumed to be more load, which means more fuel. It doesn't know if you're chugging up a hill or just have a vacuum leak.

63 usually means the TPS is bad

14 is a stored code, so this may or may not be fixed already

Are these all stored codes, or engine running codes or what? Stored codes may be fixed already, engine running codes means its broken now.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Autolites... Ditch those for Motorcraft plugs while you're investigating what others said.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Just put brand new ones in last night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Uhhh yeah... go with gadget's advice on the codes, ignore what I said.
            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

The TPS will cause it to do some weird things. High idle, die in neutral, ext. I replaced my TPS and the code 63 went away. I'd get that squared away and then re-evaluate. I also took care of code 34 with a new EGR position sensor. My EGR was a little dirty and I cleaned it, but It was working fine.
              Last edited by Salty Dog; 03-23-2017, 11:09 AM.
              1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LE SOLD

1972 Ford F100 Custom - 5.9 - Stock

2011 Ford Fusion SE - 2.5 - Stock

2018 Toyota Highlander XLE

Comment

I wonder if the timing chain could have jumped or the cam is washed out

Comment

If it runs the chain probably did not jump. Whenever I've seen that, you lose all compression. usually it bends valves. The ignition timing would also have moved significantly.

Unlikely the cam is damaged, but if it was you'd have a lot of top end clatter. That one I can speak to, since I trashed a cam from some very unusual circumstances. Short of the lifters being damaged in such a way that they stop rolling, the cams pretty much never wear.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Check for voltage feeding the TPS as well. I recently had this issue with a 91 F-150 5.0, TPS was coming up bad both by codes and testing with a volt meter. It was completely dead. Turns out there was an open in the wiring circuit feeding the TPS, MAP sensor and EGR valve. EGR was deleted already, but the MAP sensor had power to it and was trying to function normally but couldn't due to no TPS signal. I spliced a wire into the feed wire at the MAP sensor and the other end into the feed at the TPS. I still had a faulty TPS, but changed it for another one I had lying around and presto! Runs like a charm now.
                    Prior to the fix, it was flooding very, very badly, wouldn't stay running when cold at all, and would idle very high when warm unless the IAC was unplugged. Which was very strange as nothing I ever had would even run without the IAC plugged in and operating at least semi-properly.
                    You should have 5V to the TPS, EGR and MAP KOEO. If not, investigate wiring before throwing parts and/or money at it.
                    Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                    Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Comment

Only have this much vacuum

Comment

Either bad timing or a leak. Assuming your engine is not totally worn out.

Just by the way the timing indicator can be confusing. I forgot which part of the indicator you are supposed to use to set the timing. I seem to remember it was not the part I thought it was many years ago.
                        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Its the top flat edge that you use. Also, there are marks from about 30 BTDC to 20 ATDC on there. Make sure you have the 10 BTDC line marked. I once set mine to 10 ATDC and it ran pretty stupid. I've also accidentally timed it to TDC by looking at the wrong mark.

15 inches either means the timing is way off, the engine is totally pooched, or a big leak. A leak that big should make for a very high idle.

Comment

Idle doesn't go up at all, idles fine actually

Comment

Could the ect have something to do with it?

Comment

I forget what is the ECT?

You set the ignition timing targeting the portion of the pointer gadget referred to?
                                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
                                X