2002 GM Oil/Coil Pack/Computer? ABS/BRAKE Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2002 GM Oil/Coil Pack/Computer? ABS/BRAKE Issues

Okay, the 2002 I got from my brother had finally thrown trouble codes/check engine light, indicating a bad #1 Coil On Plug pack. Replaced COP & plug, 1 week to the day later, and it fries/goes bad again (COP & Plug replaced for like $10 labor by my mechanic).

Right before it acted up, I think was getting a sulphur/rotten egg smell, possibly from the heat (which will roast you the F out only set at 65 due to blend door actuator being bad, if put into self test mode it just sits there and clicks forever, maybe it's a stuck door?) Anyway, mechanic mentioned it could be a plugged catalytic converter making the rotten egg smell, but weird thing was it was while I was driving, not while stopped where the fumes could have been blown back at me. I dunno. Stalled twice backing into the driveway after the rotten egg smell then started missing and flashing the CE light when my dad was taking it to play cards.

The BRAKE and ABS lights are constantly on, and no codes are able to be pulled from the computer for these. Mechanic thinks the ground wire for the ABS brain might be broken, so I will have to chase that down, or have it chased down. I guess the lights did go out once, my dad said he was driving up the hill and the traction control light flashed and then both lights went out and stayed out for the rest of his drive, until he started the car again, of course.

Here's the reader's ride thread http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...and-Marquis-LS

My mechanic thinks the Coil Pack issue was a defective part, or I could have a bad cam lifter/clogged Catalytic converter, or may need to put a new ECU in it if it acts up again. The burning oil issue was probably due to whatever problems the car had, and it was dumping fuel into the oil and then burning it off in the other cylinders. Then if it sat with fuel in the cylinder, you'd start it up and whee, cloud of blue smoke. I ended up putting 5w30 in it to top it off, and it doesn't seem to be using oil anymore that I can tell, yet (I must've found the wrong info online as it says 5w20 on the cap, but 30 should be okay, I know not to run anything thicker).

If anybody has any suggestions/insight, feel free to chime in. I'll update this thread as stuff happens, or doesn't.
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Thoughts on the rotten egg smell, do the normal drivers of this car drive like a friggen snail and afraid to accelerate with determination? Drive it like you stole it to clean it up.
    Don't buy cheap gas. Name brand only. And of that, name brands that are known to be better than others.

Alex.

Comment

I can't see where cam or lifter problems would have anything to do with the COP dying. Dud COP is possible though. If it was running on all 8, I don't really think it sounds likely you have an ECM problem either. Basically all the ECM does is switch the negative side of the COP on and off as needed. Not activating it wouldn't damage the COP, it just would have a dead cylinder. If it stayed on, that would kill the COP but it wouldn't actually fire either since the switching off is what makes the spark.

The Brake warning light is usually low fluid related. If the fluid is low, the ABS is disabled. Check the reservoir on the MC, make sure its topped up and the float isn't stuck or something. It can also come on if the parking brake isn't fully released, though I don't know if that interlocks with the ABS system.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Mechanic did speculate the "rotten egg" smell could have just been raw gas dumping into the cylinder and going into the exhaust or wherever, I just don't know why it would smell inside the car, afaik the exhaust leaks at the collectors got fixed. And my nephew beat the everloving piss out of this car, but it was probably running super rich for ages because of the bad coil and exhaust leaks fooling the Oxygen sensors into thinking it was stupid lean.
        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Turns out the oil loss was all from a stupid goddamn plate where the oil filter mounts. Guess it was giving the underside of the car a free oil bath for ages. My nephew was a oil-change monkey and neither he nor the assholes where they had the oil changed last could figure or point it out.

Glad to have that solved finally. May dig into the ABS/brake dash light when it warms up myself.

Comment

Ah, the oil filter adapter gasket. Yeah thats common on a 4.6.

Check the brake fluid and float before you get too far into it. The brake warning light is not related to the ABS system, but the ABS system will probably not work if the brake light is on.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X