Keyless Entry Control module location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keyless Entry Control module location?

My new to me '89 Town Car Signature has keyless entry, but I don't have the code to open it. I know from past ford cars I've owned which had keyless entry, that they put a sticker on the passenger side trunk hinge which has the code listed on it. It's been peeled off on mine, so no dice there. I also know that the code is printed on the outside front of the Keyless entry control module box, so that's what I'm trying to find now. Anyone know exactly where this module lives within the car? That should give me my code.

Module lives on the passenger side, up in the kick panel area kind of forward of the glove box. If you flip the glove box all the way out you may be able to see it.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Uh, you should have asked us directly or checked the owner's manual first

The orig. owners put the sticker in the owners manual on the page for it. Don't need to go tearing into the interior trim for it.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

So that explains where that sticker went, lol. Someone took it off the trunk hinge arm and taped it on the keyless entry page inside the manual. First time I've seen that done. Saves me the trouble of dropping the glovebox now at least. I'll be taking the interior completely apart for detail cleaning anyway. Seats, Carpet and plastic interior trim panels out etc.. I'm kinda OCD about cleaning when I first get a car.

Comment

The stickers were supposed to be given to the new owner to put where they thought best. It became a common practice for the dealer to suggest the deck lid arm or place it there for them. Another popular place was inside the glove box or behind it where it could be seen. Some folks just left the uninstalled stickers stuck in the manual. There were more then 1 supplied.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

The Keyless Entry Number is on the Keyless Entry Module which is behind the drivers door panel in every car I've ever seen.
            Maybe TC's are different?

Comment

They had the number on the module for many years. Then they stopped putting the number on it from many reports. Does not mean it is not somewhere else. The 2012 Escape has it upside down in small print on the smart junction box which lives under the center console.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
                The Keyless Entry Number is on the Keyless Entry Module which is behind the drivers door panel in every car I've ever seen.
                Maybe TC's are different?
                No modules in the door in any Box Panther.

Current driver: Ranger
                Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                | 88 TC | 91 GM
                Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

+1 only aeros and whales for behind the driver door panel. Boxes are way different.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I can personally say it's where gadget says it is on box TC's. I pulled a spare from a yard last year or the year before and that's where it was.

Comment

One nice thing about those modules, they're sort of primitive inside. If you're a bit savvy with a soldering iron you can change the permanent code to whatever you like, or decipher what it is if there is no sticker. Somewhere I drew up a diagram with how it all works but basically its a number of diodes that determine what digit each position wants to see, and they are grouped in a fairly obvious order so you can figure out which digit is which set of parts.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Derek, if you still have that spare and ever want to open it up, I have soldering equipment...
                        Plug the spare in, make sure it works, then modify.
                        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I believe I do!
                          That's great to hear, gadget, I might just have to test the spare when I find it. The one my car was born with doesn't do the auto-lock thing when you throw it in gear like Ashley's old 89 does. Unit I pulled was from an '89 if that makes any difference. I think I started a thread on this way back and the consensus was that they have had the autolock feature since '85 at least. Only thing that makes me think to the contrary is my owner's manual says nothing about it whereas Ashley's had a whole page dedicated to it.

Comment

possibly the lock relay is questionable, though if you can get the doors to lock with the button, its working. It relies on input from the reverse light switch and the seat switch too, so if either of those are dinked it won't lock. Not totally sure, but given Ford's penchant for doing stupid things, it may get retarded with LED lights in the reverse light spot. Just a thought in case you have those. I know the cruise control goes stupid if all of the brake lights are LED. One normal bulb is enough to make it work though.

Honestly i dislike that feature. You can program it off, and I always did that on the Mark VII because it pisses me off to be trapped in the car.

Comment

Growing up around and in Detroit makes me want doors that lock and so I always end up locking them anyway. I've had people come up to our cars in the past and last thing I want them to be able to do is open the door. Lincolns and probably boxes in general are sweet in the sense that if you go to open the door while locked it unlocks and opens the door as you pull the handle. When I go from driving our Ford truck to the Chevy one that's one thing that irritates me about the Chevy- it doesn't do that.

Anyway, with the stock module it will lock and unlock the doors with the buttons and will also pop the trunk as well as turn the interior lights & key ring lights on. I might just leave it be seeing as that's the way it was intended to be. No LED's but I do have Sylvania silver stars in the ditch light & reverse light sockets.
                              Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 03-23-2017, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X