I'm Back...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm Back...

No wait, put down the flaming pitchforks and torches.

...can pitchforks even catch fire? I dunno...

So a couple of years ago I ragequit this place because, well, I emotionally overloaded. Life wasn't going great and I guess I just got on some people's nerves here with my questions about my 86 MGM.

Well, I guess, a few things:

a) I'd like to apologize. To anyone who has read my posts and felt frustrated. Especially to Scott (Lincolnmania), since this is his castle after all. I believe my ragequitting post mentioned something along the lines of considering donating and then deciding not to. Well, for what it's worth, I would like to pledge $100 USD to the site because the information here has helped me with my car.

b) I'd like to ask if I could come back. I still have my 86, and in fact it's in the process of some wicked upgrades. I promise not to post a lot.

Yeah, so. That's it. Lincolnmania, if you read this, I sent a PM with regards to how to donate since I'm not great at this Internet money thing...

- Mike

GTFO! Your kind is not welcome here. j/k welcome back.

Comment

Welcome back!

I tend to stay out of controversy as much as possible, but do remember when that all went down.
      I can't speak for anyone involved but, from what I've seen, the people here tend to be good at moving on especially after you've admitted your mistakes. Also, I don't think the amount of questions is an issue unless you get into the habit of asking questions that someone else already gave you an answer to.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
        unless you get into the habit of asking questions that someone else already gave you an answer to.

Well, honestly, I do this because I have a memory issue. It's not deliberate, I just forget.

Ask my wife.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
          GTFO! Your kind is not welcome here. j/k welcome back.

Thank you.

Comment

well, i can't speak for anyone but myself. that being said, i don't remember anything that would concern me about you. (then again, i don't remember what i had for breakfast yesterday!)so, all good here! welcome back.
            I'm not completely oblivious to reality, I just choose to reject it when it doesn't line up with my opinions. (thanx Thain!)

Comment

Shit if reiteration were an issue I think they would've kicked my ass out a while ago. I wouldn't sweat it buddy, this isn't CVN after, we're not a bunch of dicks...

Comment

Ah yes, I remember. You had (and still have, from what I've read) one of the most interesting cars on this site. LS trim boxy box generation Grand Marquis with cloth seats AND the 351. Loved the exterior color, silver with red stripes, and how the interior was color coded to match. Classy but sporty! I found it neat how you could get 351Ws in civilian cars all the way through '91 in cars bound for Canada. After 1980, your only route for a 351W from the factory in USDM boxes was the P72 LTD/LTD Crown Victoria, and it wasn't a popular option. Trivia time! 351W blocks can take some 600 WHP/WTQ before blowing up, a huge improvement over the 302W blocks. So you've got the best of both worlds- the aesthetics and the performance potential. Pretty neat! I was excited to see how things would pan out with your '86.

What I didn't find neat was, well, the.... other stuff you described. And while I don't remember everything that happened in your 385 series (want to say it was a 460 or 428) swap thread and other threads, I won't contest how you characterized some of your behavior- a decent chunk of it was out of line and a few select pieces were completely unacceptable. That said, I think there's a lot to be said for someone who can admit to their wrongdoing, understand why it happened, and try to do better moving forward. Far as I'm concerned you're welcome here.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk cars, life, or anything of the sort.
                Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 03-19-2017, 11:55 PM.
                '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

I dunno if my car is "interesting", really.

It doesn't have any red stripes on it, unless I've gone color blind.

But yeah, I actually did finally pull the trigger on some upgrades for it and am still awaiting a few final pieces.

I found a 351W out of a Ford F250 with a Transmission that had 60,000 some KM on it and I got both for $500, then I paid the guy $1500 to do an engine and transmission swap.

Next, it was time to do some incidental repairs. The reason I kept blowing ignition control modules was due to a short circuit in the ignition system in the steering column. I took it to a place once upon a time and they evidently didn't do a good job on it. So, no more blowing up ICMs...

Oh, the 351 I got a performance intake manifold and put a 4bbl 750 CFM carbeurator on it. It's all shiny and stuff, and I have an electric choke now so I don't need to stomp the gas pedal as hard to start it...

The fuel pump was pulling 6 PSI in fuel, so it needed to get replaced.

We deleted the air conditioning stuff, as well as getting rid of the catalytic convertors. The mufflers needed a replacement, so those got done.

The back end...ha. Well, me being me, I decided I wanted to upgrade from the 2.73" limited slip differential to a 3.73" posi-trac unit. Only, there was some confusion as to whether the unit I got was for a 28 spline axle or a 31 spline axle. The stock axles were chewed up so it was decided to replace them, only Ford doesn't make 31 spline 30 7/8" axles apparently. I ended up with a 31 spline differential, and I could not return it for exchange because the mechanic had already assembled the ring gear and carrier and so forth.

So, I'm awaiting some 30 7/8" 5 bolt 31 spline axles from El Paso, Texas. Paid $600. Yay.

The fuel tank got recoated, and the brake lines needed replacing, as well as the master cylinder and brake booster.

Finally, there's a patch of rusted out metal underneath the driver's door that needs some welding done.

So she's sitting on rear jackstands waiting for axles, and then I'll be apparently doing burnouts. Or so I'm told. The mechanic predicts some 320HP at the wheels. I'm skeptical on that.

Oh, a few other mini-upgrades... he put in a tachometer and is connecting the oil pressure gauge at long last, and the spark plugs and wires were replaced.

And how can I forget? I ordered some LED dual beam headlamps from Carid.com which may or may not arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Windsor View Post
                    Well, honestly, I do this because I have a memory issue. It's not deliberate, I just forget.

Ask my wife.
                    Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                    Shit if reiteration were an issue I think they would've kicked my ass out a while ago. I wouldn't sweat it buddy, this isn't CVN after, we're not a bunch of dicks...
                    I guess it's not so much the re-asking of the same question that's necessarily the issue, but if you do it in a way that implies that the last guy can't possibly be right then you're opening yourself up to some flogging. Usually flogging doesn't start right away, so it's good to take the hint while you're still getting warning shots.

This may or may not have been the issue, and if so I don't think it was the main issue. Either way, hopefully it's water under the bridge at this point and I'll try to leave it be since I wasn't involved. Those that were involved will either accept the apology or not. If they don't, don't dwell on it.

As for the mods, sounds fun! If I recall correctly, life was hitting you pretty hard around the time when things went south here on the forum for you. Glad to see things seem to be going better.
                    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Just don't make us get out the paper...

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Toilet paper?

Comment

Howdy and Welcome back.
                          And yes, pitchforks can burn. The dried up cow dung makes a good fuel.

Alex.

Comment

Sounds like you're doing things right and getting the supporting systems up to snuff. Think you'll be very happy once it all goes together. Good limited slip and consistent fuel trim plus functioning brakes is a good place to start. It's definitely boring waiting for parts to come in and things to be put together though, went through that last summer. But doing it right and not cutting corners makes it all worth it, mang.
                            '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                            '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                            '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Welcome back to the Party!!

-ryan s.
                              08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                              97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                              94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                              73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                              12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                              Originally posted by pantera77
                              Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Working...
                              X