Aod ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aod ?

Got an AOD was reticently looking a it has a single output shaft not an inner (that slides out) and outer one. Is this factory if so what year did this appear.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

I thought it was the input shaft that was supposed to be a two piece. I thought the output shaft was always one piece.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Pretty sure thats not factory. It sounds like the one piece input shaft mod to work with a non-lockup converter. I think that needs to be a specific converter too, not one meant to work with the standard double input shaft setup.

If you mean the output shaft at the back end, those are all one piece as far as I know.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Output would always be one piece.

1 piece input shafts are available; this eliminates a lock up feature.

You can also run a NLU converter with the (2) piece input; I did this with my coupe. I believe the TC is just not splined for the inner input.
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Instead of the inner spline being tied to the shell, I think the turbine has both spline profiles cut into the center of it. It drives both shafts from the same part basically.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yes, 2-piece input, 1-piece output. I presume you meant 1-piece input, which would be a non-lock-up. Not sure why I don't just go crazy and go that way since I hardly ever drive my car. Just want it to be cross-country cruisable, even after I put the stupid motor in it. I drive the freeway like twice a year, and literally put about 2500 miles a year on the car. Should just build a 408 Windsor with a TKO600 and 4.10 gears for all it matters but I guess i'm just a pussy...

Comment

These days, whenever I see someone build something with a transmission lacking overdrive I just kinda sneer at it, especially if it was something born with OD & fuel infection. Like welcome back to the 60's. Way I see it is, you're there and you might as well go the extra mile.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Depends on your purpose I guess. A track car that would never shift to overdrive doesn't need it. I don't drive 1/4 mile at a time though, so I have no use for that personally.

Non-lockup doesn't mean non-overdrive. You do lose some efficiency, but third gear will feel noticeably perkier. OD won't see much change but it will make more heat without a cooler. Its stronger though. That shell drive setup that the stock AOD uses is not very strong, all things considered. The inner shaft is pretty dinky. Thats the purpose of the one piece shaft, but also why later transmissions used a solenoid and a clutch arrangement to lock the converter. No goofy input shaft setup, and you can have an un-locked third gear as needed.

Comment

The locked third gear is actually my sole dislike of the AOD. Well that and no easy manual second without playing shift jockey.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

yeah that does kind of suck. Not much to be done for it outside of making it never lock or changing to a different trans type.

Comment

Working...
                    X