No announcement yet.

Rock(er) On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its hard to give physical dimensions of the panels because, the factory stamped pieces have lots of bends and angles. A decent body man will usually cut out the bad metal pieces and replicate them. This way, they fit properly. Best would be to talk to a body shop, to see if repops can be bought and call around some wrecking yards. You might get lucky and get a pair of rust free ones from a scrap car. The stuff is out there but, have to search for it.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Yup.. my wagon is the same. And it looks like other have had the same problem too. There was a 86 out at the junk yard that someone too the rockers out of before it was scraped.

I was lucky to find a low mileage rust free one in the yard... about 20 min later i cut the rockers out. I will use these in the wagon some time this summer.

[/URL]
      Last edited by Steveh66; 03-23-2017, 01:20 PM. Reason: broken link

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
        I'd like to see pics, NFW is it clean everywhere else aside from the rockers. We looked at a Town Car back in early February that looked clean aside from a spot on the driver's side dog leg... Got my flash light out and looked at the frame, rust spots everywhere. Guess that's solid to some people but not me. Don't make me upload a pic of my Townie or Ashley's old one lol. I'd also like to see the area where the front door hinges bolt to the A pillar, that's a common area for rot too.
        Well, here's mud in your eye. Just got off the phone with the guy, and he reiterated that the car's underside is solid.

And I'll take pictures of the car once it's all done, of course.

And geeze, Derek, it almost sounds like you want my car to not be fixable. Phooey.

Comment

I'm trying to save you money and grief here! I work in the corrosion industry and am highly critical of body work, paint work and corrosion. Unless of course the car has some sentimental value to it I'd just find one that has no rust and begin to oil it annually. Anything that is going to humid/salty conditions will just rot again, and fast once repaired. No refinish job will beat what the factory put on in those days, trust me on that. Even now, the stuff I'm seeing gets worse and worse due to environmental concerns. So yeah, it's better for the world and such but not for your bottom line.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I was just being lighthearted in my reply before...

Sentimental value? Yep. Irrationally so. You aren't the first and hopefully won't be the last to give my car the "pfft that thing treatment".

And there is no grief that you're saving me from here. The car HAZ TEH G00D ST33L D00D.

It's gonna be alright, I promise.

Now, as for the environment, I, uh, must have misplaced the catalytic convertors someplace...yeahhhhh... that's the ticket...

Comment

Like what was said above...its too difficult to give you dimensions of the rocker panels as it varies due to all of the different contours it takes.

Cut out the old and weld in the new. It is a big project! Good luck.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                Like what was said above...its too difficult to give you dimensions of the rocker panels as it varies due to all of the different contours it takes.

Cut out the old and weld in the new. It is a big project! Good luck.

That's fair, and the mechanic is in the process of fabrication as he got the dimensions anyhow.

I'm excited for this, it's been a long time coming.

Comment

For the record, Panthers hold together quite well with very rusty rocker panels! Unibody cars will fold up but not a panther.

Full replacement from a cut out car is the only way I'd go if they are bad enough to need attention.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Steveh66 View Post
                    Yup.. my wagon is the same. And it looks like other have had the same problem too. There was a 86 out at the junk yard that someone too the rockers out of before it was scraped.

I was lucky to find a low mileage rust free one in the yard... about 20 min later i cut the rockers out. I will use these in the wagon some time this summer.

[/URL]
                    Rust free doors. I wish I could get those.
                    1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

I would be interested in pictures as well. Geez, at $2,700 for rocker panels, the work i've done on my one car is probably $20,000 by your mechanics standards. I'm not sure why he wouldn't try to find some from a donor car, really would have saved him a lot of time and effort, and you money. I also agree, I have no idea why he would get dimensions, when he can just cut your old one off and use it as a template. However, In his defense I will say, if he does a spot on job, with no filler needed, the cost is worth every penny if the car contains sentimental value to you.
                      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

There hasn't been very many 1983-1987 Mercury Grand Marquis made for quite awhile, and so they seem to be something of a rare car.

But nevertheless, we're rocking along with the intended plan. Now if the axles come in soon, we'll also be rolling...

Comment

Just to go on a bit of a tangent, do you know the 88-91 rockers are different? I know the nose changed.
                          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Dude, 3 days ago if you had asked me if I knew what a rocker panel was I would have straight up said something to do with infant care.

...Stop staring at me...:ninja:

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                              I would be interested in pictures as well. Geez, at $2,700 for rocker panels, the work i've done on my one car is probably $20,000 by your mechanics standards. I'm not sure why he wouldn't try to find some from a donor car, really would have saved him a lot of time and effort, and you money. I also agree, I have no idea why he would get dimensions, when he can just cut your old one off and use it as a template. However, In his defense I will say, if he does a spot on job, with no filler needed, the cost is worth every penny if the car contains sentimental value to you.
                              There's no way he's fabricating rocker panels without using a ton of mud to get 'em to look right, unless of course he has access to the factory tooling. It's a money grab by said 'mechanic.' It's not my money so to each his own.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                                There's no way he's fabricating rocker panels without using a ton of mud to get 'em to look right, unless of course he has access to the factory tooling. It's a money grab by said 'mechanic.' It's not my money so to each his own.
                                Have you ever fabricated rocker panels? Maybe you could do better for less?

Comment

Working...
                                X