No announcement yet.

Rock(er) On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He could fabricate them without using much filler, I don't consider myself an expert metal worker, but with some time, bends, and welding I could do it, so I wouldn't doubt someone with more experience could not only do it, but do it better than I could. It just takes a lot of time, especially without fancy brakes and other metal shaping tools. I also understand it is a norm to slap something together and cover it in filler, shape it, and make it look right to get it out the door in a hurry. Mike, it's a shame you aren't closer, I would offer to do it for you for a lot less, especially knowing the sentimental value the car has for you, however I would also have access to spare rocker panels from a junkyard
    Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 03-24-2017, 09:42 AM.
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

ok Derek... He's fixing the car. Get over it. His car... his money. Until you want to start helping him pay for it, I think you've had your say.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Windsor View Post
        Have you ever fabricated rocker panels? Maybe you could do better for less?
        Fabrication isn't my specialty, pretreatment is. I already suggested what I'd do.

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
        He could fabricate them without using much filler, I don't consider myself an expert metal worker, but with some time, bends, and welding I could do it, so I wouldn't doubt someone with more experience could not only do it, but do it better than I could. It just takes a lot of time, especially without fancy brakes and other metal shaping tools. I also understand it is a norm to slap something together and cover it in filler, shape it, and make it look right to get it out the door in a hurry. Mike, it's a shame you aren't closer, I would offer to do it for you for a lot less, especially knowing the sentimental value the car has for you, however I would also have access to spare rocker panels from a junkyard
        Indeed, but the welds are the dirtiest and hardest things to clean and prevent from rusting. That is where it will rust out again, from the inside out.

Originally posted by sly View Post
        ok Derek... He's fixing the car. Get over it. His car... his money. Until you want to start helping him pay for it, I think you've had your say.
        LoL. I was done but when you post stuff like this, it only instigates more from me. Did I not already say it is his money and not mine? Where's the issue with saving money? Can people really not handle objecting opinions? Guess there's just not enough room for reality with all the unicorn piss and rainbows going around. Didn't realize people were getting butt-hurt over this, *hugs* *It gets better*
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Okay.

Did something awful happen in your life where you derive pleasure and/or self-validation from pissing down people's backs and telling them that it's raining?

It seems that encouragement and such is something you don't like to give. Which is fine. But don't go projecting your pessimistic outlook on life onto other people.

You gave your input. Was it somehow offensive to you that I failed to acknowledge your word as gospel?

C'mon. Don't be like this.

Comment

Also please keep in mind two things:

1) That shop rates vary lots state to state and up here in Canada. What you may get in somewhere down in the states at $37 an hour you will not get in Alberta.
            2) You did not see any pictures and don't know if it is a simple as the flat bottom metal needs replacing or the sill was full of wet mud and all needs replaced - including the full rear vertical along the frame. It probably some where in between.

Good luck Mike. I hope it turns out well.

Steve
            Last edited by Steveh66; 03-24-2017, 04:03 PM. Reason: grammer

Comment

I don't think the rockers are much, if any, different from 1979-1989 at least. I think the floor pan changed a little in 1990, but I don't know if that affects the rockers at all. If it does not, that gives you 1979-1991 as a window. Crown Vics would be the same through those years. Towncars are different, pretty sure wagons are different too, at least behind the center pillar. Round cars are way different.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah I met with the mechanic to pay him to cover his material costs today and he remained optimistic about how it's coming. I was invited out on Tuesday to take a look at the car and I might remember to snap a picture or 2 on my phone.

I'm terrible for remembering that my iPhone has a camera capability.

Comment

Does your mechanic work at a fully-certified shop? If so, that should give you peace of mind. I deal with a guy that has worked in the industry for many years but now he has his own shop. Labour rate is less and the quality of work is top-notch. I buy paint from NAPA and he supplies the rest of the materials for the job.
                  '79 Continental Town Car
                  '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                  '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Indeed he does. He's warrantying the work he's doing to the car for 3 years.

Comment

Nice.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Windsor View Post
                        Indeed he does. He's warrantying the work he's doing to the car for 3 years.
                        Excellent! Have undercoating done afterwards.
                        '79 Continental Town Car
                        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

So I went to the place today and the rocker panels are in the process of being welded on.

I took a couple of pictures, including what was left of one of the original 1985 ones and a random picture of my right rear wheel, sans axle and related things.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image1 (5).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	1281525Click image for larger version

Name:	image2 (1).jpg
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	1281526Click image for larger version

Name:	image3 (1).jpg
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	1281527

It's coming.

Comment

Looks like he's just doing the outer part, which is okay as long as the inner part is good. They make a foaming paint that you can spray in there after it's all back together that will coat everything inside, then dry like normal paint. That may be a a wise investment. http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fra...nozzle-qt.html
                            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Well it's done, except for the undercoating bit:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image1 (6).jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1281543Click image for larger version

Name:	image2 (2).jpg
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1281544Click image for larger version

Name:	image3 (2).jpg
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	1281545

The axles are on expedited delivery apparently.

Comment

looks good.

Comment

Working...
                                X