Strange noise when turning off ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange noise when turning off ignition

Got an odd scenario. I start my 2004 Interceptor, I get some bearing noise, like from a belt tensioner. Nothing unusual with these cars, or anything from Ford really. I used to sell lots of them at the parts store! But what is strange is this - when I cut off the engine, I get a strange "barking" sound. It doesn't last long, just a second, sort of broken into two stages, like "arf-arrrff." Sorry, not a great description. But the question is, do you mangs think it is likely the sound of that bad bearing coming to a halt? Because I don't seem to have any other issues. Car runs great, accelerates great, never hesitates to start. Thanks, mangs, for any thoughts or info.

Wes
    Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
    Bone stock... for now.

Any chance it sounds like this?
    This turned out to be a clutch bearing in the alternator on a 2003 Grand Caravan.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b4xHgy3Fv3g
    90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
    90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
    91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
    70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

Kind of, but a sharper sound.

Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Let it idle and turn on your a/c or defroster and watch the balancer. My '98 shit the balancer it made some weird noises, mostly when the compressor would engage. Mine sounded more like belt slippage but it was actually the belt/pulley part spinning on the balancer hub. Could also make the sound you describe. Other possibilities exist too, but that's something to go on.

Comment

I will check that out. A guy on the P71 Facebook page I joined described the same noise as a baby crying. Pretty accurate. Gonna check it out more this weekend.

Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
            ...A guy on the P71 Facebook page I joined described the same noise as a baby crying. Pretty accurate...
            Nails on a chalkboard to me. I'd have to fix that ASAP.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
            X