Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What speed is best for MPG on highway?

Hello all

What is the best speed, for best mpg? Obviously the stock GS 2001 MGM doesn't have a tachometer. Does anybody know what speeds are the best? I heard 70MPH and 44MPH is the best, but is that true? I need to drive 100 miles round trip from longisland to NYC... Thanks

LI to NYC it's not like you'll be moving very fast anyway!

Keep it under 70 and you'll pull 24 pretty easily.
    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

For my 2000 MGM with its shitty stock tune, I do best in the 55-60mph range, and that gives me at least 23.5mpg. My owner's manual actually says "traveling at 88 km/h [55 mph] uses 15% less fuel than traveling at 105 km/h [65 mph]".

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Generally a minimum of 40mph will provide the best mileage. Maybe cruise @ 45 for hyper mileage.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

For what it's worth, ive also had vehicles get worse mileage at 55 than at 75 (our van, which is a brick, comes to mind)
          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

the 93 with the stock engine and 2.73 open rear would get 28 mpg at 65... same car with the pi engine and 3.55L gears gets about 22 at 70 and because Texas and it's high speed limits, I haven't gotten better than 19 in a long time because you gotta drive 80-90 to not get run over. This is the main reason I don't highway the beater much at all. I don't like having people blow by me doing 20+ mph more than me. The beater will get 21.5 with the 3.55L rear if I keep it below 60. The whale with the npi engine and highway open rear will do 24 every day of the year at 65-70.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The best I've seen in the '97 was 28-29 MPG while keeping cruise at 72 MPH in 70 zones and 68 MPH in 65 zones. That was done on a trip between GA and PA. I got around 420 miles out of a tank of gas, which was great in my opinion. It has 2.73s, so it's easy on the highway. Mixed driving I usually see 18-20 MPG.

The '87 prefers to be kept under 65 MPH for any reasonable economy. I haven't logged any real steady interstate driving with it yet to get a proper judgement. Last highway run I did I was pushing it along at less than ideal speeds (75-85) and netted a garbage 13 MPG. In reasonable mixed driving I'm used to netting 16-17 MPG. It has 3.27s, so it's decent around town, but I do have to limit it on the interstate, considering aerodynamics are not on its side. Over the weekend, I should be able to get a more accurate reading since I'm taking a trip to NC.

My Cars:
              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

At least the speed limit. ;-)

I can't say I've yet noticed any significant difference if I'm doing 55 or 70 in the vomit comet. My box didn't make much difference between about 55 and 80--the only catch with that was it had to be steady state driving. If traffic got a bit thick and speed wavered, the mileage would drop due to always having to slow and accelerate.

Alex.

Comment

Never seems to matter to me. If I hit 19, its a good day. I just keep up with traffic and fill the tank as needed. It would probably do OK in the 55-60 range but I'd get run over. The car feels happy at 70-75 anyway.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    Never seems to matter to me. If I hit 19, its a good day. I just keep up with traffic and fill the tank as needed. It would probably do OK in the 55-60 range but I'd get run over. The car feels happy at 70-75 anyway.
                    Even with the new tune John gave it?
                    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Haven't spent much time on the highway. One tank seemed higher than typical then its back to pretty much the same mileage its given me for a decade.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        Same exact results here with my 89. It's been a while since I checked but I think my rear gears are 3.08.

Edit: just saw this was on the 4.6l forum. With my 94 and 97 Town Cars I believe I got low to mid 20s on the highway.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by slack; 03-27-2017, 12:22 AM.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

55-65 for la pantera. I got about 20 MPG on the highway.
                          1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LE SOLD

1972 Ford F100 Custom - 5.9 - Stock

2011 Ford Fusion SE - 2.5 - Stock

2018 Toyota Highlander XLE

Comment

My '88 Townie with it's LoPo and 3.27's would get 19-21mpg at 79mph on the expressway and recently netted 24.5mpg @ 65mph. Pretty impressive I think. I'm with gadget though, I just put gas in it when it needs it but not having to stop for 400+ miles is awesome. Even with 18mpg or less I'd say I spend less money on gas than most do on just their car payment per month.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

My Lopo Vic averaged 22-23.

It liked only speeds ending in 5's

35 55 and 65.

Runs best at 65.

Was an amazing road trip car from isanti mm to alma Wisconsin only took 1 fill up for each trip. I always fill at half a tank.

Usually costs 16 bucks to fill her up on average. Loved e15.

I am curious to see how the HO truck motor does with MPG.

Comment

Working...
                              X