No announcement yet.

How to adjust door latches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting. I'll recheck but I remember noticing that the rear door didn't have one either.

85 LTC, Dark Canyon Red?/ 3.55 open/ HPP Wheels/ 4 Tone Horns/ ***POTM 5/2017*** SOLD
    06 LTC, Silver Birtch, Fully Loaded [ The Daily ] ***POTM 4/2018
    97 Mountaineer, 5.0 H.O. , 135k, Now with functioning window

89 LTC , Lowered, Straight Piped, (SOLD) 88 LTC (SOLD) Rough and Dirty, 2000 MGM, 2002 MGM, 96 MGM, 2005 MGM LSE (SOLD)

Comment

When you remove the strike to replace the plastic would be the time to lower the door height.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
        I personally like the clunk... but that's just me... beater gonna beat
        This. I like the solid "chunk" sound they make, although the regulator rattle inside is kinda dumb. If I wanted some jap-crap, i'd buy a stupid Honda and drive around in a boring buzzbox. Not sure how much of a lexus you're going to turn a 30-year-old Ford into, but it won't be easy mate.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
          Does not look like the plastic bushing is over the striker. You need that!
          Not a single striker on the car has one.

85 LTC, Dark Canyon Red?/ 3.55 open/ HPP Wheels/ 4 Tone Horns/ ***POTM 5/2017*** SOLD
          06 LTC, Silver Birtch, Fully Loaded [ The Daily ] ***POTM 4/2018
          97 Mountaineer, 5.0 H.O. , 135k, Now with functioning window

89 LTC , Lowered, Straight Piped, (SOLD) 88 LTC (SOLD) Rough and Dirty, 2000 MGM, 2002 MGM, 96 MGM, 2005 MGM LSE (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
            This. I like the solid "chunk" sound they make, although the regulator rattle inside is kinda dumb. If I wanted some jap-crap, i'd buy a stupid Honda and drive around in a boring buzzbox. Not sure how much of a lexus you're going to turn a 30-year-old Ford into, but it won't be easy mate.
            This.

Originally posted by LSE_Dave View Post
            My '85 was like that. Wondered why there was so much noise while driving and then noticed cars in the yard were different. Put strikers on that had the plastic thing and voila, tighter closing doors with no noise at speed.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by LSE_Dave View Post

Time for your next job.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ to each their own.

Comment

I am close to being done with this project. I ended up retrofitting Lexus/Camry door latches. They have integral door lock regulator so clunky one that Ford uses went bye bye. I am also adding additional bracing inside the door to reduce door panel flex. This was all combined with new door panels.

Comment

Did you ever dynamat the inside of the doors? I've always wondered how much additional sound deadening would help with interstate wind noise. The '87 needs it bad in the roof (sounds like a house with a tin roof when it rains), but I figure the doors could benefit some.

FWIW, the seals around the doors and windows are good. I know the Boxes will never be as quiet as the later cars just by the nature of their design.

My Cars:
                    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Negative on the Dynamat. I want to do it at some point but not sure how much it will do for stock setup considering inner doors are basically paper thin swiss cheese.

Comment

It does help, but the foam crap that goes between the door and door panel was also missing on my car. I did both the outer door skin and the inner, so its replacing the foam. A lot of what it does is help get rid of that hollow sound when you shut the door. It also helps a lot with the amount of air blowing around the door handles.

Most of the noise I used to get was from bad window run felts. Its replaced now, but there is a small gap where I messed up a joint and i can hear it through that spot now.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                        X