Bad Smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Smell

Yes I took a shower today, I even washed my hair (it is Sunday after all)....

The MegaMerc has been outputting a an awful rubbery/electrical smell when hammered with the def or ac on.

The Mustang used to eat compressor clutches under these conditions.

Recently on the interstate it became constant. I pulled the clutch connector off & forgot about it.

My wife took a 150+ mile trip in it yesterday & was frightened by the odor as it became her constant companion.

The compressor pully can be wiggled by hand.

I don't have anymore time to play with it today.

Has anyone experienced this?

Are the pulley & clutch toast?

The whole compressor?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys
    Last edited by mitymerc; 04-02-2017, 06:42 PM. Reason: speeling

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

pull the ac belt off and see if it stops. Could be the clutch, bearing, or the smog pump seizing. Or maybe its not that side at all. If the pulley will wobble, it sounds like the bearing is toast.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I wonder where this noise is coming from?

https://youtu.be/KBmFGx1SERA

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

My Wife is not happy that I put marbles in her blender.

Thanks Thain, is said bearing replaceable?

Comment

Probably compressor, clutch, or smog pump but don't count out the balancer. My '98(different but still a ford) crown vic would do what sounded like a belt-squeal when the compressor would engage. I figured I had to replace the compressor or clutch until I watched it one day. When the compressor would engage I actually saw the pulley spin on the balancer, not good.

Comment

check for shopping bags stuck to the cats (or the charred remains).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Jason, My cats looked good when I fed them this morning...

It is the ac compressor.

Thain mentioned the bearings, anyone know if they are replaceable?

Hopefully this will also cure the random squealing noises.

Comment

Yeah... the clutch assembly includes the pulley and bearings. You can try replacing just the bearing, but then you'd have to know what size it needs and I don't think it's removal friendly. The one on my 88 required snap ring pliers to get some rings out that hold stuff together after removing that retention nut Still running the same compressor with a replaced clutch 5 years later.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Depending what design you have, I might actually have the parts to fix yours. I have most of a clutch assembly from the later (88+ with the 3 "pucks" on the front) type compressor. The coil is bad, but the rest is fine. If yours is the same type, I'd be happy to offer it up to get the space back. I bought an NOS complete clutch assembly for mine when I broke the coil (connector broke) and the kind I got was the older design. The coil is slightly different and would not work with the later clutch assembly. You can transplant that whole assembly on with your coil and have a good working clutch assembly.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks Thain,

I think it is the original '91 compressor. There are 3 rivets on the front of the clutch, is that what you mean by 3 puck?

Kind of cramped area, this are the best pics I could get.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Remove center bolt. Walk off pulley. Then remove snap ring and remove clutch and coil. Bearing is integrated to clutch if I remember now.
                      -Nick M.
                      Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                      03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

And snap ring goes back in bevel side out.
                        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

The kind I mean looks like this

I guess those are rivets, they look like mini hockey pucks to me.

But yeah, its easy enough to take apart. Pull the bolt, use a puller to pull the outer part off, snap ring, then the rest comes out. There are some shims in there that sets the clutch gap, but thats the only thing remotely complicated about it.

Comment

I'm in a quandry. I don't recall if I used the original comp or if I used the one on the swapped engine (it was like 15 yrs ago)
                            The comp is not like the one pictured, could be '91 GM or '87 LSC, however I suspect that the purported '87 may have been an '86.

Comment

The earlier clutch looks like this

Still comes apart the same, but the parts don't mix and match. Either complete clutch and coil assembly will fit on the compressor though.

Comment

Working...
                              X