Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

94 f-150 truck motor into 86 Vic Parts suggestion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

94 f-150 truck motor into 86 Vic Parts suggestion.

Okay, so I have a box of critical parts coming for this pseudo HO swap. The EEC ho upper and mustang tb modified to work with a panther.

However I am normally an aircooled vw guy. So looking at parts online is causing me to scratch my head.

Things I think I should replace on the new motor (94 with 100k miles) are the timing chain and gaskets, but where do I start? Any links or recommendation would be nice. I have no issues paying for something nice if it will last a long time.

I will be keeping the original exhaust intact and using many of the 86's original parts only the fuel injectors from the truck will be used and maybe some of the better condition accessories like the AC compressor.

Make sure your throttle body is modified to your 86. 86 is special.

Gonna need a bored out stock egr spacer our lightning spacer if you dont have one already so you can mount up your throttle linkages.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
      Make sure your throttle body is modified to your 86. 86 is special.

Gonna need a bored out stock egr spacer our lightning spacer if you dont have one already so you can mount up your throttle linkages.
      I've read about that just recently it's the TV cable thing right? i doubt the to was modified for an 86.... God damnit I knew I should have just swapped the cam between the two engines and moved on with life.

Comment

Yes. The TV cable thing.
        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Son of a gun!!! There was at least one 86-specific TB on the shelf, maybe even two! And there was an unfucked-with HO TB that could have easily received the lever off one of them '86 lopo TBs... I didn't even realize this car was an '86, or I would have provided a more proper part...

On the other hand the 86 cable setup is to me less than ideal, certainly not as user-friendly as the later design. And if (or when, if you don't know how it adjusts) the cable breaks, you're up some creek. Hitting a junkyard for a more commonly-used TV cable may not be a bad idea at this point. Which may sound odd coming from a person with a pretty much 50% custom-fabbed vehicle, but that's just it, if you later need a replacement part just about anything will do, and you won't have to worry about where the hell you'll find that 1-year-only part...
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
          The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

^^^ Whenever you can get away from a one-year part, do it. For a while I had a knack for landing one-year cars and hated myself for it.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
              ^^^ Whenever you can get away from a one-year part, do it. For a while I had a knack for landing one-year cars and hated myself for it.
              This is why I try to stay away from the first year of whatever it is, most importantly when it boils down to new engines or transmissions.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Great, now I need to source a regular cable and install it... boneyards around me have NO panthers of any vintage. The only one which would have some are two hours away.

I was really hoping I wouldn't have to fuck with that cable, but damnit...

Comment

Shit if i'd read this this morning i'd have yanked the one off my dead car and sent it to you. Off to the salvage yard in the sky now...

Comment

I wonder if its not possible to convert a late throttle body to an 86 one by bolting in a stud.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1069&ppt=C0261

looks a lot like the 86 TV cable stud. Add in a bushing of some fashion to adapt the hole in the throttle body to the stud size and you might just have it. Hardware stores usually have an assortment of bits and bobs that might be just what you need. I'd go wth something metal though.

It would want some measurements of the actual Ford stud first to see if its even possible. Failing that something could definitely be custom made to do the job.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      Add in a bushing of some fashion to adapt the hole in the throttle body to the stud size and you might just have it. Hardware stores usually have an assortment of bits and bobs that might be just what you need. I'd go wth something metal though.
                      Washer on one side, washer on the other side, fat rubber o-ring between them to more or less center the bolt into the TB lever hole. When the nut is tightened the washers will deform ever so slightly and that together with the clamping force will lock the stud into place on the lever. Done!
                      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

yeah, I was thinking something more along the lines of a piece of metal as the bushing but that would probably do it. Of course me being me I was actually thinking of a custom-machined adapter dingus. I could probably come up with the dimensions, I have an 86 throttle body on my car, and an HO throttle lever around here someplace for hole sizing. It wouldn't need to be an amazingly stout piece of anything, and I have some little stub bits of 1018 cold rolled that would probably yield such a contraption. The bigger problem is that I have no desire to take the throttle body off the car and I don't know that i can get in there for measurements without it.\
                        Last edited by gadget73; 04-10-2017, 06:14 PM.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

https://lmr.com/item/HLY-2040/86-Mus...ick-Down-Cable

or do that, because I couldn't possibly make it for less.

Comment

Nice find Thain.
                            ~David~

Comment

just got to thinking that someone must make that part. People own 86 Mustangs. I could make one myself but it would take longer than $13 worth of time. If I needed one for me, I could have it done long before the postman could get it to me though.

Comment

Working...
                              X