Engine knocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine knocking

I can't figure this one out. I keep hearing this knocking coming from the passenger side of the motor. It's coming from the front of the motor. My serpentine belt was rotted so I just replaced that and it's making the noise. It doesn't sound like Tick, its real weird. On the suggestion of one of my friends who has a mechanic background, I tried swapping out the spark plug on the cylinder I suspected with a spark plug that a new was working and this did not solve the problem at all. The sound is constant from idle on word. It is most audible at idle and starts to quiet down as engine revs. It doesn't quiet down 100%. Ideas? I've put in a link to a video of it. It sounds like someone knocking on wood lol.

https://youtu.be/Y736jdc4pcQ
    sigpic
    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

I would unplug each injector one at a time and see if the noise changes.

85 LTC, Dark Canyon Red?/ 3.55 open/ HPP Wheels/ 4 Tone Horns/ ***POTM 5/2017*** SOLD
    06 LTC, Silver Birtch, Fully Loaded [ The Daily ] ***POTM 4/2018
    97 Mountaineer, 5.0 H.O. , 135k, Now with functioning window

89 LTC , Lowered, Straight Piped, (SOLD) 88 LTC (SOLD) Rough and Dirty, 2000 MGM, 2002 MGM, 96 MGM, 2005 MGM LSE (SOLD)

Comment

Yup, shut injectors down one at a time, look for the one that makes the least amount of difference in engine sound. Same thing with the coil packs if she's a COP setup (don't recall if '96 and '97 already got that or not), if no COP you're back to the good ole pull the plug wire off the coil method. Also, you may wanna have the ECM do a cylinder balance test, it will likely catch it if something isn't quite right (like a tiny cracked in the ceramics of a brand new spark plug, whale panther ECM caught that misfire).

You can also try taking the new belt off and running the engine with the accessories powered down - worn bearings can make some really odd noises depending on how they're loaded, if you have no noise with belt removed then start looking at your accessories.
      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Take the belt off before you get too far along. Kinda sounds like a bad AC clutch bearing or a bad tensioner.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The ac pulley is singing like it needs another shim. Sounds decent when the clutch engages. I would also just check by feel on the plugs. If you feel a wire/cop pulsing, then that plug is probably blowing through.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

When I changed the belt, I did spin the A.C. compressor a few times to see if the sound was coming from it and it spun smoothly with no sound.
            Thanks for the suggestions mangs.

How do I do that Cylinder Balance Test?
            sigpic
            1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

On EEC-IV cars the ECM will kinda go into it on its own if you floor the throttle after it's done spitting the regular codes outs. On the EEC-V that you got, I honestly don't recall how I did it last time, it's been like forever since then and these days I got the attention span of a squirrel more or less, lol
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
              The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Mr Land Yacht! Suuuuuup, homie!?!
                Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
                Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Hey mang. I'm sorry, it's been a while since I've been on the forum. I don't remember you offhand Chuck Norris.

I unplugged fuel injectors with the engine running and that's not the problem.
                  sigpic
                  1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

I am not sure what you meat so let me ask. As you increase engine rpm does the knocking increase in synch with engine speed?
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

If you haven't test run the engine with the belt removed yet, try that.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So what has been checked so far? Now i'm curious and want to find out wtf is going on with this one. Loose plug? A/C compressor? Timing stuff on the way out in a big way? Rod knock? Also recall a post on CVN about one guy's experience with loose torque converter bolts so nothing is off the table here really. Come on! I gotsta know.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                          I am not sure what you meat so let me ask. As you increase engine rpm does the knocking increase in synch with engine speed?
                          Yes.
                          sigpic
                          1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Maybe it's the timing chain guides slappin' around??? NFC man..
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Can do a cylinder balance test with a decent scan tool for OBD-2 as one of the "Enhanced DTC" features of the tool.

Comment

Working...
                              X