Me So Hornless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me So Hornless

So long story short, I have to get a POV chit approved to drive my car on the navy base where I have A school. Part of it is a really basic inspection, which my rolling shitbox managed to fail because it doesn't have a functioning horn.
    Any suggestions for fixing/replacing it? And yes, I already checked my fuse box. Am I better off just ordering an aftermarket one and wiring it in or trying to chase wires or replace the factory horn? Thanks.

Do you have voltage at the connectors for the horn?

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

When I had problems with my horns it was because their resistance was too low, you want them to measure at least better than 0.7 ohms otherwise they'll pop the fuse. Simple things first though, so like KW said check for voltage at the horns. If you've got that then try to see if you can measure any resistance across either one, if nothing then you can play with the little screw on 'em to some extent.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

What year is this magical rolling chitbox? 90+ have a bomb in the wheel and horn troubleshooting adds some steps.

First thing I'd do is power it directly to see if it goes. Horns should live either on the passenger side inner fender (90-91) or tucked up into the corner behind the battery and wash bottles (one per side). Its a one wire connection, just jump a decently fat wire off the battery and see if it makes noise.

Whenever i've had problems with the horn on my car, it was the relay had gotten water in it and went stupid. It lives on the driver's side, the bottom one below the three other relays by the washer fluid bottle. If its 90-91, I don't know where it lives but probably in the same general area.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

90-91 horn relay lives by the blower motor, close to the hood hinge.
          1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

It's an 88. Thanks for the replies. I'll see if I can get my hands on a multimeter in the next couple days.

Comment

Originally posted by MercurySailor View Post
              It's an 88. Thanks for the replies. I'll see if I can get my hands on a multimeter in the next couple days.
              If you do get voltage at the harness ends, it may be just a matter of poor grounds, for the horns, not any actual damage to the horns themselves. They ground thru their mounts to the body, any rust there will pretty much screw things up. And yes on a '88 they are every bit as annoying to get to as it sounds like. FYI you reach the bolt (there is only one thankfully) for each horn from under the car, passenger side is the unpleasant one cause the charcoal canister is kinda in the way there.
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
              The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                ...90+ have a bomb in the wheel and horn troubleshooting adds some steps...
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Are the horns wired in parallel or series? Honestly only need one op to pass my inspect.
                  Thanks

Comment

Welp, fixed it kinda. Pulled the connector for the driver's side, noticed it was pretty crusty, so I hit it with some sandpaper. Put it back on and it immediately went of. So my little push button thingy in my steering wheel is bad--reads continuity whether depressed or not--so I ghetto rigged a toggle switch I pulled from my sub system. Can't wait to see what they say when I get it inspected tomorrow.. but hey it works. Any way to replace that center button thing on steering wheel? Otherwise in the next couple days I'll just pick up a push button from radio shack and mount it on the dash.

Comment

parallel.

You can get another center button or rebuild yours if you're handy. The button just pulls out of the center of the wheel. Internally its two strips of metal with some foam between them. The foam has probably gone to dust. Originally the foam had a cutout in the middle so the strips would bend together when you push the button. Its held together with some metal tabs if I remember properly, and bending the tabs out will let you pull the whole mechanism apart. Probably some thin foam to replace the original will make it go.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I used a light density foam in mine from the home improvement store weatherstrip. Pretty easy and fixed it right up.

Mine decided to lose the original foam fight one winter night in college. No one likes 3AM horns going off for 15 minutes. People finally beat on my door and told me it was mine. BTW if you blow the horn for 15 minutes, they die.
                        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I removed the foam and used 2 one inch felt pads (the peel and stick type) on the flat area in the center. I do have problems with the left half sticking closed from time to time, but a good punch usually resets it. This is a recent issue as I did this mod 8 years ago now. Obviously, the others know the proper fix. I just used stuff I had on hand and it worked.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                          X