No announcement yet.

Bump/Miss/Hesitation in engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably so and the fact that it used about a half quart of oil on a trip from Chesapeake to Charlotte and back.

Comment

Valve seals and or valve guides
      -Nick M.
      Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
      03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Hopefully my picture isn't getting confused with the OP's pictures. You could list every possible cause in my case and they would probably all apply.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
          Check engine LIGHT. Sorry, that irritates me to no end

How many miles? Does it burn oil? Could be it needs valve stem seals, these lopos tend to foul out the cylinders closest to the firewall. Ashley's old '89 fouled out the driver's side plug and produced the exact same symptoms you described.
          Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          link doesn't link proper. wants me to log in or something. Try uploading them to here as an attachment.

two rear plugs oil fouling is common on engines with wear. Not sure if it comes through the valve seals because of the tilt of the engine, or through the PCV system because of blowby but either way thats where you see it. Is the screen in place under the PCV valve? You'll get a lot of extra oil through there if the screen is missing.
          Originally posted by MattDoscher View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]47478[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47481[/ATTACH]

Had to re-size the pics to get them to post.

This is a new remanufactured engine. I'm assuming the PCV mesh screen is in place, it's nearly impossible to get back there to confirm w/o taking off the upper intake. What do you think of the pics? The first two are the "good" ones and the last two are plugs 4 and 8 with #8 being on the right and the worst of all of them.
          Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          old valve seals or worn guides could explain that.
          I believe I was first to the punch with the worn out valve seal thing
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

You were. Car is at the shop that installed the engine, dropped it off yesterday. The heads were also Jasper so we'll see what they determine. I'll update once I hear something.

Matt

Comment

VCV,
              Ashley's was so bad on #8 we weren't even getting 800 miles between plug cleanings.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

*Update*

So Jasper has advised my shop to make some changes to the PCV system and relocate the PCV valve. Apparently this was either a running change or a TSB not sure which that Ford instituted at some point. I have never heard of this but here is a link after doing some quick Googleing.

http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6049

Have any of you heard of or done this modification? I gave my shop the ok to do it.

Matt

Comment

That is a GREAT idea. Wow. That is a downfall of the 5.0. I really do like this idea - nice info.
                  -Nick M.
                  Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                  03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Lot of the mod-motor guys run oil separators. Accomplishes the same goal I reckon.

Comment

long hose is long.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

never seen that before.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I would not use Platnum tipped spark plugs due to the need to use a "hot" ignition system as in a race car not a street car with a "street" ignition, I speak from experience as I pulled out many platnum tipped spark plugs when customers complained of rough idle. Some cars do require the platnum tipped spark plugs to run properly.

Comment

Here is the document that Jasper provided regarding the PCV vacuum supply reroute. Makes sense that how it was routed before would have cause issues on the #8 cylinder. Hopefully this new routing will eliminate future problems.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jasper Engines PCV reroute.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	1281724

Comment

Working...
                            X