Bump/Miss/Hesitation in engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then engine related.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

ok thanks.

Comment

I received my Motorcraft parts from Rock Auto today (AWSF44C plugs, wires, cap and rotor) and removed the aftermarket wires, cap, rotor and Motorcraft platinum plugs and installed the new parts. The platinum plugs were not gapped properly, they were all right at 46/47 which is under the 48-52 range specified. Plugs 4 and 8 were fouled the most with #8 being real bad. Plugs 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 all look the same.

Here are some pics of the plugs I removed. The first 2 pics are of the 6 "good" ones and the last 2 are the fouled ones #4 on the left and #8 on the right. https://www.snapfish.com/library/photos?website=snapfish_us&cobrand=snapfish&locale =en_US#state={"pgvw":"siav","aid":122805387904060}

What do y'all think of the plugs?

Matt

Comment

link doesn't link proper. wants me to log in or something. Try uploading them to here as an attachment.

two rear plugs oil fouling is common on engines with wear. Not sure if it comes through the valve seals because of the tilt of the engine, or through the PCV system because of blowby but either way thats where you see it. Is the screen in place under the PCV valve? You'll get a lot of extra oil through there if the screen is missing.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1556.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1281655

Name:	IMG_1557.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1281656

Name:	IMG_1558.jpg
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1281657

Name:	IMG_1559.jpg
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1281658

Had to re-size the pics to get them to post.

This is a new remanufactured engine. I'm assuming the PCV mesh screen is in place, it's nearly impossible to get back there to confirm w/o taking off the upper intake. What do you think of the pics? The first two are the "good" ones and the last two are plugs 4 and 8 with #8 being on the right and the worst of all of them.
            Last edited by MattDoscher; 04-28-2017, 11:30 PM.

Comment

How many miles are on these plugs. The last two read like it's running pig rich, getting oil from the PCV (bad valve), or you're not driving long enough to get up to operating temp for at least 20 minutes to get the initial startup run buildup to burn off.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

looks like burnt oil to me.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

How many miles are on these plugs
                  12,000 and some change. What would y'all do next?

Comment

Is the screen in place under the PCV valve?
                    mesh screen is in place and PCV valve rattles.

Comment

Only 12k on that plug? My 88 will do the same on #8 after 15K or so. But it's 233k on the engine.

Do a leak down test on #8.
                      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Only 12k on that plug?
                        Yeah I know. Shouldn't be doing it on a remanufactured Jasper engine like this. I called Jasper and have a case number opened with them. Going to take it back to the shop that I dealt with so that they can further troubleshoot w/ Jasper.

Comment

Not even 5K on my #8 plug (below), in an engine with maybe 200-230K miles.
                          A bit more than the 12k on OPs engine.

What I believe I had going on here is an engine that must be burning oil and the plug wire was loose so the oil wasn't burning which caused that buildup. The symptom started out as a slight miss that I figured I would address eventually. The miss got worse a couple weeks later, so I looked at things and found a loose plug wire, corrected that and figured it would be good to but but wasn't. That's when I found the mess below. I cleaned it up and made sure the plug wire was all the way on at both ends. Since then (last year) I haven't had any issues.

I'm not sure that this story helps in any way, but I suppose my point is if you don't have good (consistent) spark things don't burn right and may cause build up.

Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Comment

Thanks Vic. Yeah my #8 wasn't nearly as wet as your is or completely covering the gap. I'm starting to think now that the shop re-used my heads without going through any rebuild and the Jasper engine was only the short block.

Comment

old valve seals or worn guides could explain that.

Comment

Working...
                                X