Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barge Hubcap Options?

Hey All,

Just curious if anybody has any recommendations for a barge hubcap? My '78 has its original hubcaps but because there's this HUGE weight on one of the tires, it's next to impossible to get the hubcap on/off. Also, it makes me weary that it might pop off while driving and I'll lose it.

Here's what I'm working with:

I was thinking maybe paint the rim black and put a dog dish style that wouldn't require attaching to the outer lip?

Thoughts and suggestions welcome!

Thanks!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Why can't you just have it rebalanced with the weights that go on the inside if the wheels like new cars get?
    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Thanks. I didn't even think of that.
      I do need a new spare tire so I guess I could get it rebalanced then.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

That looks like a weight for an aluminum wheel although it's a bit hard tell. Is it squarish or does it curve and fit right in the wheel lip? A correct steel wheel weight will solve your problem even if it's a big one.

Also check to see if there is a weight in the inside. If not, you could use a weight on the inside and reduce the size of the outside one.

It's pretty unusual for a steel wheel and passenger tire to take a weight that large.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Right? That thing is huge! I'd look into getting it put on the inside. That's just gross-looking.

Comment

I agree with replacing the weight on the underside of the wheel or replacing the wheel. Can't lose a hubcap !

Comment

If our worlds ever collide, I could help solve your hubcap problem with these
              Attached Files
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Weights that big usually indicate a bad balance, a bad tire, or a bent wheel.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                  That looks like a weight for an aluminum wheel although it's a bit hard tell. Is it squarish or does it curve and fit right in the wheel lip? A correct steel wheel weight will solve your problem even if it's a big one.

Also check to see if there is a weight in the inside. If not, you could use a weight on the inside and reduce the size of the outside one.

It's pretty unusual for a steel wheel and passenger tire to take a weight that large.
                  Hmm.. I'm not sure. It does look roundish to me. I thought the weight looked extra large as well. I haven't checked if there's more on the inside but I don't believe so.

Here are more pics (not great ones) to give you an idea exactly what it looks like:

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                  I agree with replacing the weight on the underside of the wheel or replacing the wheel. Can't lose a hubcap !
                  Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                  Right? That thing is huge! I'd look into getting it put on the inside. That's just gross-looking.
                  I think this might be the option I go for.

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                  If our worlds ever collide, I could help solve your hubcap problem with these
                  Thanks. Those are some nice looking rims! If I'm ever heading that way, I'll PM you if they're still for sale.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  Weights that big usually indicate a bad balance, a bad tire, or a bent wheel.
                  It's very possible. I'm actually leaning towards a bad balance as all the steel rims have some sort of oversized weight on them. (This is the worst offender by far though). I'll try to get pics of the rest to give you an idea of how bad they look without the hubcaps.

I mean I suppose it's also possible the rim is bent. They are the original rims from '78. Who knows what they've been through before they came into my ownership.

Comment

Certainly the wrong weight type! Check out http://www.griffintoolsandsupply.com...iles/Steel.htm.

I bought an old school bubble balancer and it works quite nicely for steel wheels and older aluminum wheels.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Awesome! So it looks like it should be a quick easy fix. I have my safety inspection next month so I can ask them to just rebalance the wheels then. (I bought the tires at a different shop than my usual place last year)

Using the page you linked, what weight shape should be on there? It looks like right now I have a P 2.75. Those are listed as standard steel wheel weights. What's strange is that mine says "P" but actually looks more like a "FN" or "MC".

Edit: I actually wonder if the weights I should have on the rims are the "CAX" style. They're offset for full flush hubcaps. I wish I took a picture of the original weights.
                      Example Link: https://www.alltiresupply.com/produc...nt=25841086992
                      Last edited by slack; 04-27-2017, 01:28 AM.

Comment

I took a second look at your hubcaps and that style you found looks like that may be exactly what you need. The barge hubcaps cover the entire rim including the lip. Guess that was before they got cheap and made smaller hubcaps.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Working...
                        X