No announcement yet.

Detroit Area Meet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet, spread the word. There are plenty of U-pull yards around here but expect rusty nastiness & spooge stains if anything at all.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Hmm... meet up/hang out/look at everyone's cars on a Saturday afternoon/evening, JY Run on a Sunday for those still in town, or an all in one day deal? There are enough yards around here that one day of yard hopping sometimes isn't enough.

How about July 22 or July 29?
      I'm actually not too familiar with Detroit so if anyone has any suggestions on where to meet (Slows was mentioned) lets hear what you think. Otherwise my suggestion would be a place about an hour drive North of Detroit where I grew up, so I'll let you guys pick a place.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

As an FYI, not a suggestion for this meet, this Saturday April 22 Parts Galore has posted on their Facebook that they're having a free hot dog day + free swag and door prizes for a customer appreciation day, coinciding with Earth Day. I imagine the swag may include T-shirts and similar.

I will most likely be finding some excuse to go, so there could be a mini-junkyard-meet that day.

As for the meet-meet: my preference is an all-in-one-day deal. Junkyards and photo-op-hunting through the mid afternoon then grab food at a location suggested by one of the locals (geographically I am one, but I haven't really had any food from south of 10 Mile).

Something late July-ish can work for me. Basically as long as it's on a weekend I can probably manage. If at all possible try to avoid days with sports games hosted in Detroit, as that whole downtown area including freeways becomes gridlock when there is one.
        Last edited by kishy; 04-19-2017, 01:23 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
        | 88 TC | 91 GM
        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

Good point, July 22 looks like a pretty good date then. There is an evening (6:10) Tigers game on the 29. http://m.tigers.mlb.com/schedule/month/2017/07

Hmm... I was planning on going up to my parent's place to work on The Ice Car this weekend. I am working from home on Friday after a morning appointment, maybe I should work from my parent's home and get the car done Friday.
          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Planning on being at the SAAC Show at Ford World Headquarters on June 11 maybe make a run at Waterford on the 12th
            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

+1 on avoiding game days. I'd also avoid giveaway days too as well that tends to draw a crowd. More people, more competition over what's there/standing in line blah blah.

Not so sure about bringing nice cars to junkyards and then leaving them there while we go and look for parts, especially in Detroit. I know two people who live there and it only takes 3 minutes for the locals to ruin your day should you be targeted.

Anyway, here are some locales in Detroit that have good grub (Mercury bar & slows have already been mentioned so I'll leave them out):

-The Bronx
              Deets: It's a bar near Wayne State that on most days makes the best burger I have tasted and I sample a lot of them. Jukebox with good tunes as well. No more Iggy Pop though. Parking will be a chore, although there's a hookah bar & Laundromat across the street that has parking but due to campus life may not want to tolerate cars hanging about.
              -Traffic Jam
              Deets: Another bar right by Bronx. They have a fenced in parking lot and may tolerate us should we become paying customers. They've got OK burgers but tasty beer battered fries and homemade cheeses. Tons of hipster craft beers if you're into that.

Outside of Detroit:
              -Duggan's Pub
              Deets: Bar, painted obnoxious green in favor of Irish pride. Parking lot of decent size. Grub is so-so, standard fare. On Woodward.
              -Red Coat Tavern
              Deets: Bar again, also have tasty burgers along with tasty fries and fried shrooms. Awesome dimly lit atmosphere with huge button tuck type seats. Can get crowded in there. Advice is to get there early as they pack 'em in like sardines. Also on Wootward. Has a spacious parking lot in the back, some of it reserved for their valet service.
              -Vinsetta Garage
              Deets: Bar/Restaurant, hipster style. Was a former old school auto shop, now serves hipster brews and good chews. Tasty burgs, fried cheese curds, hot hipster chicks complete with triforce tattoos. Parking sucks and it's always busy as well. Also on Woodward.
              -Parrott Cove:
              Deets: Bar, oldschool type. Jimmy Buffett themed but thankfully they don't always play his 'music.' Purty good burgers and parking lot large enough to accommodate us I'm sure. Not on Woodward.

If I can remember more places I'll chime back in..

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                Not so sure about bringing nice cars to junkyards and then leaving them there while we go and look for parts, especially in Detroit. I know two people who live there and it only takes 3 minutes for the locals to ruin your day should you be targeted.
                This is a concern I've had, but I've gone to the yards inside of Detroit a whopping 69 times in the last 3 years. The parking lot at Ryan's can be a little rough but otherwise it seems like riff-raff tends to stay away. All participants could of course make a point of bringing their ignition coil wires in with them, lol.

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                -Vinsetta Garage
                Deets: Bar/Restaurant, hipster style. Was a former old school auto shop, now serves hipster brews and good chews. Tasty burgs, fried cheese curds, hot hipster chicks complete with triforce tattoos. Parking sucks and it's always busy as well. Also on Woodward.
                I definitely wouldn't mind giving this a shot. My (formerly local, now moved out of state) buddies have recommended it but when we've tried to go they've been way too busy.

I believe Sindbad's (on the river, east of downtown) is held in decent regard. Haven't been myself since I was a kid though so can't personally vouch for it. I believe the place is pretty large and depending on the number of people we're looking at (5 no, 15 yes), it might make sense to consider bigger options that would be willing to reserve tables or a room.

Current driver: Ranger
                Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                | 88 TC | 91 GM
                Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

Wow, and I thought we went often.. I consider Ryan's to be the worst. Those guys don't need your car to run as they either cut the driveshaft or get it on some type of flatbed. Sometimes entire vehicle theft isn't the goal, either vandalism or theft of interior contents is and well there's your bummer. Plus Ryan's is nothing but dirt, no way do I want dust flying around all over my clean paint & such or track that into my '88, nor do I want my grimy junkyard clothes staining the interior or my junkyard hauls dirtying up the trunk

It's solid, especially the Mac & cheese and the burgs.

That place isn't bad either. A bit pricy so I left it out. I've only had the Walleye and the clam chowder but wasn't disgusted.

Comment

I've been to Dugans and Vinsetta. Enjoyed Vinsetta more. dugans was meh.
                    -Nick M.
                    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
                      I've been to Dugans and Vinsetta. Enjoyed Vinsetta more. dugans was meh.
                      That's how I'd sum it up. It fits the bill if all else fails.

Comment

Looks like I won't be able to make it to the yard this weekend, but next weekend I should be free to go.

As for the meet spot, I live under a rock. I've never heard of anything on that list, but I tend to spend most of my free time far from Detroit.
                        That's why Derek picked last time as well, and I think that pick worked out well enough for our small group last time.

So far we have the same size group interested (I assume Ashley will plan on going).

As for a yard run before the meet, Derek has a lot of good points. I'd still be interested in making a yard run early in the day though. My beaters don't mind getting dirty. Although maybe not parking in a group might be good since all the same type of car parked in a group might draw more attention. As for my JY clothes, I plan to bring a change of clothes, some Fast Orange, and some deodorant.
                        I'm also not opposed to making a JY run on Saturday and Sunday if it works out better for some to do Saturday and others Sunday. Either way it sounds like we won't get the whole group out to the yards on the same day.
                        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

You guys ever consider a cruse to Hell Mich
                          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

"some deodorant" haha
                            Yeah I never shower on junkyard days until after the score but do think I apply enough stuff to keep BO at bay. We have two beater trucks we can utilize for junk hauls. One being a '92 F250 and the other a '89 K1500. The K1500 is a shortbox so it's borderline useless for that sort of thing. Ford is a longbox with a locking cap.

A cruise would be cool. Get some walkie-talkies and we can do it all Slow & Curious style.

Comment

I think I'll try to hit the JY tomorrow. I'll probably start at my usual (PG on 8 Mile) early (8-9 AM time frame).
                              Afternoon looks like there is a higher chance of rain, but I'll see how the day turns out.
                              Send a PM my way and I can send you my #. (Derek, same # if you still have it.)
                              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I'm back, kid is here, spent more time in the hospital than expected and checkups continue every other day but I'm getting back to normal finally. Since she spent her first almost two weeks in Children's Hospital in Detroit, I now can find my way to Detroit and back without getting lost.

So, we've settled on Saturday, July 22nd for this mini meet.
                                I don't think we have settled on a place yet.

Vinsetta Garage looks neat, I've never been there. It looks like it is a bit north of the D in Royal Oak though.
                                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Working...
                                X