CFI in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CFI in Canada

I've been in a handful of conversations now where it has been said that "Canadian 302 Panthers didn't get CFI at all, they only got a carb". My '84 Town Car says otherwise, of course.

My understanding has been that (during the CFI years, both EEC-III and EEC-IV) CFI was available on Canadian 302 Panthers, it was just common to get them with a factory-installed Motorcraft 2150 instead.

In person, I have only seen 4 Canadian-market pre-1986 Panthers with their hoods up: my own '83 Grand Marauis (302 w/2150), my own '84 Town Car (302 w/EEC-IV CFI), and two junkyard Grand Marquis (84 and 85, both 302 w/2150).

What's the deal here? Where did the idea come from that there was no CFI in Canada?

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Not that I don't believe it but are you sure your car is indeed a car that was originally built for Canada?
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
      Not that I don't believe it but are you sure your car is indeed a car that was originally built for Canada?
      If the VIN begins with a 2, then yes. If it begins with a 1, it was built in/for the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
        As I recall, can't find the paperwork right now, it was sold new by a dealer here in Essex County, Ontario.

Originally posted by Mike_Windsor View Post
        If the VIN begins with a 2, then yes. If it begins with a 1, it was built in/for the USA.
        That VIN position refers to country of manufacture, not destination country. As pre-1986 (pretty sure that's right), and all Lincolns (at least up until the late years, I believe), were built in USA, this doesn't do much here I'm afraid. My '83 Grand Marquis was definitely sold here, but is also a 1, like the Lincoln. My '91 is a 2, as it was built in Canada.
        Last edited by kishy; 04-27-2017, 02:43 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

Hmm. Well then.

I do know my 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis from long ago with the 5.0L was fuel injected, so the theory that Canadian panthers only had a carbeurator is definitely out to lunch.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Comment

I believe its a Lincoln thing. Ferds and Mercurys probably got the carb, Lincolns got CFI. Lincoln from 1980-1985 with a 5.0 in the US was CFI, Ford/Mercury was CFI from 83-85. Probably true in Canadia as well.

86 onward, all the 302 engines should be multiport fuel injected. Most of the Canadian stuff seems to have gone straight from a 2150 to SEFI, no throttle body nonsense in between.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Civillian boxes had the option for the carb'd 351. Maybe thats what has muddied the waters. If Ford did what GM did with the F-body, we got carb's for an extra couple years after the U.S. destined production had switched to cfi/tbi/fuel injection of some sort. Same with the fullsize GM pickups, here in Canada they didn't switch over until 1985. The U.S. versions had already gotten that archaic computer control in 82 or 83.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                I believe its a Lincoln thing. Ferds and Mercurys probably got the carb, Lincolns got CFI. Lincoln from 1980-1985 with a 5.0 in the US was CFI, Ford/Mercury was CFI from 83-85. Probably true in Canadia as well.

86 onward, all the 302 engines should be multiport fuel injected. Most of the Canadian stuff seems to have gone straight from a 2150 to SEFI, no throttle body nonsense in between.
                This.
                Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

blkpnthr, your car is the ONLY pre-'85 Canadian-market Town Car I have ever seen with CFI. Every '85 and earlier CV/MGM I have ever come across that was originally sold in Canada has been carbureted - I have NEVER seen a Canada-spec '80-85 CV/GM with CFI.

My '85 TC was sold new in Winnipeg and left the factory with CFI. I know of at least one other Canadian '85 TC that was factory CFI as well. Any Canadian '80-84 TC I have ever seen BESIDES your '84 has been carbureted.

If there are more Canadian-sold '80-84 CFI cars out there, I'd love to know about them!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by RyPow; 04-28-2017, 03:58 PM.
                  RyPow
                  1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
                  1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
                  1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
                  2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
                  2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
                  1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
                  2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
                  2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    Your first comment is correct. '86+ 302s were SEFI here as in the US. In fact, after the late '80s our engines across most domestic brands were unified with the US market, with only a couple exceptions.

My experience has indicated that the CV and MGM for Canada went straight from carb in '85 to SEFI in '86.

The Town Car is proving to be an anomaly though. I had always thought that the '85 TC was the only Canadian Panther ever available with CFI, but blkpnthr's car disproves that theory.

Edit: blkpnthr, when was your car manufactured?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by RyPow; 04-28-2017, 04:02 PM.
                    RyPow
                    1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
                    1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
                    1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
                    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
                    2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
                    1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
                    2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
                    2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

CFEh?
                      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Adding a quick musing here...
                        I thought (though can't recall exactly where I got this info) that M/Y 1986 was the move to St. Thomas?
                        I've found a 02/85 Country Squire, US market, CFI, built at St. Thomas.

So ironically, St. Thomas did built CFI cars...just not for the Canadian market, seemingly.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                        | Junkyards

Comment

85 was when St. Thomas came online for Panthers.

In other news, someone changed my Wikipedia edit from years ago to include Oakville, Ontario as a assembly location for early boxes. I forget now the years so I won't add it back. I know my 82 was an Oakville car.
                          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                          X