2015 Mustang IRS feasibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2015 Mustang IRS feasibility

Hey, just browsing the local Lists of Craig and found a full take-off 2015 Mustang Independent Rear Suspension. I know it would take a shitload of measuring and fabrication probably, but what's the feasibility of bolting one of these in a box or an aero? Just as a 'do you think it could be done reasonably' exercise.

They want $550 for the complete unit, 23k on it, "3.15 gear, 13" brakes, 67.5" flange to flange " https://zanesville.craigslist.org/pts/6108082120.html I just didn't know how that compared to the standard panther track-width or anything. Would probably take two boatloads of money and the shocks and spring mounts would have to be relocated too. Just wondering out loud.
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Doesn't look too horrible, spring perch width appears to be fairly close to that of a panther, and outboard shock upper mounts are a piece of cake on full frame. Exhaust routing will be a horrible nightmare, fuel tank placement and size will also pose a problem as factory ones live in the exact spot the rear horns of the suspension subframe will wanna go. Putting a fuel cell in the trunk should free up space for both suspension crossmember and exhaust pipes.
    Last edited by His Royal Ghostliness; 04-29-2017, 01:07 PM.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I too considered this at one point actually. Was discussing coyote swaps and such with mustangs and of course I steered it around to panthers. Picture this though, offer "updated" fords, your choice of 21st century fox, or 21st century box. Has a great ring to it. Independent rear suspension, coyote motors, big brakes, the sky's the limit. Of course, how many of us have that kind of money to spend?

With IRS I imagine cobra tailpipes would be easy to adapt for fitment. The fuel tank was one thing I also considered would be an issue ghosty. I know a very good custom shop so maybe someday i'll investigate this further.

Comment

IRS would really make a significant positive difference in these cars. I regularly curse the Ford Motor Corp for not providing IRS in a Panther.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Well if you're up for it, once the new engine and trans are in properly we can go for the IRS swap. You know, for driveshaft end match-up purposes
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
          The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Plan is to get this 'Vic done like i'd planned, but I may pick up another panther soon, and that one will get the treatment. Shop told me it'd be around $12k for the coyote swap. Given all the shit involved, I consider that a legit and decent price really. Once I get all the shit done with the 347 in this car, I won't be far off that price and probably still won't make the HP, lol. IRS would really be cake icing at that point. Too bad the front suspension would be lame and archaic in comparison. Oh well.

Comment

If The gas tank did not have to take up interior room it would be worth it.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                If The gas tank did not have to take up interior room it would be worth it.
                Yeah and the bummer is that changing it to something else would really screw up the trunk these cars are famous for. Quite a conundrum.

Comment

Guys that do Panther frame swaps to Ford trucks like to use Explorer IRS.

Comment

I have always thought IRS has no business in a heavy vehicle.

I am a drag racer deep down, but I also see way too many older Explorers, Expeditions, etc with the rear wheels all cambered out because the bushings just don't last.
                    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Implementation is everything. I still remember the first time I drove a car with rack and pinion steering and 4 wheel independent suspension. It was a full size BMW sedan. The handling and interior were the best things about that car.
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Creamys tank is in the trunk
                        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I wonder if the explorer diffs have different mounting points.
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                            I have always thought IRS has no business in a heavy vehicle.

I am a drag racer deep down, but I also see way too many older Explorers, Expeditions, etc with the rear wheels all cambered out because the bushings just don't last.
                            Agreed to a point, but look at the curb weights of these newer vehicles. With all the bullshit safety equipment and electronics, many of them are right there with the panthers weight-wise.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                              I wonder if the explorer diffs have different mounting points.
                              Looked at one years ago and remember some issues that backed me off.
                              Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
                              X