Stuck tailgate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck tailgate

So I replaced all my missing door striker post bushings with a small length of PEX tube. The wagon rode a lot quieter with no door rattles. Then I got ambitious. My tail gate striker bolts were also missing their bushings. These appear to be a smaller diameter than the regular door ones. I thought I'd try it anyway and now I can't get the tailgate open either way, from the side or top down. Any suggestions?
    Attached Files

88 Country Squire
    86 Colony Park, non-op'd
    89 Mark VII LSC, non-op'd

I would say try pushing from the inside while someone else is pulling the handle outside. If the bushings you made were bigger, it could just be wedged in the latch.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Yup, that's exactly how you open them, and not just wagon tailgates but also regular doors that have had aftermarket bushings installed - said bushings used to be just the right size but over the last year or so I've been having nothing but bad luck with them, and when striker gets wedged inside the latch giving the door a good shove from the inside while having someone holding the handle open from the outside is the only way to free it again.
      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

You can get the interior cover off the tailgate from inside and unlatch it like that.
        Had to do it on my 90 wagon when the lock motor went

Comment

Working...
        X