PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: '92 - '97 Rear Disc Upgrade?

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar
    Land of the Greasy Hair and Orange Biyatches

Question '92 - '97 Rear Disc Upgrade?

Curious; what do I need to take off of a '94 MGM rear to convert to discs on my '86 CV? I imagine I would have to take everything down to the backing plate. Is there anything else that I need; aside from taking the whole unit off of the car? I am trying not to have to rebuild another rear for my CV.

THank You

need backing plates,parking brake cables and brackets, calipers for cores.

going to have to take the axles out of the rear at the yard to get the backing plates off.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Colony Park, "large marge"
    1982 efm and 1986 alaska stokers keeping me warm

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar
    Land of the Greasy Hair and Orange Biyatches

Thanks Scott!!!

In the end, I will probably be rebuilding the axle I take off of the Aero.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Aero rears are slightly wider. Fits under a box fine, just something to be aware of if you've got really fat tires that don't have a lot of wheel well clearance though. Its something like 3/4" per side.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body, 246k and counting

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Plenty of clearance with "stock" tires and 255/50-17's I use

LOUD EXHAUST IS FUN! AM I SHOUTING?
    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 111k miles, towing package with 3.55 trac-lok...347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

More of an offset thing than strictly a width one I suppose. Just something to keep in mind. If there is little clearance now, moving the wheels outward ain't gonna work.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body, 246k and counting

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Does the stock proportioning valve provide the correct pressure?
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

drink a beer, grow a beard, cut it, grind it, weld it back His Royal Ghostliness's Avatar

Yeah, in theory it's less than ideal, but in reality it still works quite well.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

It holds some pressure on the rear brakes, and they end up wearing faster. There are also some other details that make it non-ideal. It does work though.

I post a lot...

Do you have the pressure/proportional valve screwed into the master cylinder on the 86?
    GMN donor. 89 Colony Park LS Mods>HO, 4 spray injectors, 2.25SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 93 CV radio, Kenwood Speakers, 16" HPP wheels, 225-60/16 BFG advantage TA's, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft, HELLA H4's SS ultras H1 highs. It needs rear interior trim & headliner. Please help

03 Marauder DPB, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.

02 SL500 Silver Arrow pretty much done, nice ride, Maybe for sale

drink a beer, grow a beard, cut it, grind it, weld it back His Royal Ghostliness's Avatar

'86 has the all metal (be it steel or aluminum) master, the prop valve is not attached to those, instead it lives alone on the bracket bolted to the frame rail right under the brake booster. Can't do what you're thinking with that design.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

yeah, involves a re-plumb. Can be done, has been done on my car, its just somewhat annoying. Its worth doing, but if the lines and/or MC are not in questionable shape, it can be put off.

I post a lot...

ok
    GMN donor. 89 Colony Park LS Mods>HO, 4 spray injectors, 2.25SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 93 CV radio, Kenwood Speakers, 16" HPP wheels, 225-60/16 BFG advantage TA's, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft, HELLA H4's SS ultras H1 highs. It needs rear interior trim & headliner. Please help

03 Marauder DPB, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.

02 SL500 Silver Arrow pretty much done, nice ride, Maybe for sale

Southern

I have everything short of hard metal brake line so you can upgrade to disc. Ford oem parking brake cables for 1993 Town Car. Backing plates, calipers new remans, new pads, brake hoses...just need rotors
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

1966 Ford Country Squire - 6.4L 390 2bbl/C6 - ~85K miles
    1989 Mercury Colony Park LS - 302 V8- 188K miles.
    1990 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 302 V8- 102K miles.
    2003 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series 3x - (42K, 79K-totaled, 222k)

Quote Originally Posted by TecNickal View Post
    I have everything short of hard metal brake line so you can upgrade to disc. Ford oem parking brake cables for 1993 Town Car. Backing plates, calipers new remans, new pads, brake hoses...just need rotors
    Ooh how much you want for all that shizz? I never have time to screw around at the junk yard. Is there a hardline that'll fit or does it need to be fabbed? Rotors are no biggie.

You'll have to run line yourself. The NiCopp stuff is pretty easy to deal with.

Run your own line. Several ways it can be done, I think the factory aero line routing is kinda retarded but given that ABS cars need two lines anyways I can see why they did what they did. On a non-ABS car I like retaining the box setup and just attach the caliper hoses at the ends where the wheel cylinders used to go, even if reusing the factory box lines is not possible due to rot or other physical damage running two short lines on the axle is a whole lot easier than running a long line all the way across the frame to copy the factory aero setup. If doing the box lines with aero ends be careful how you run the caliper hoses, under no circumstances do you want them to run on top of the axle where they can be hammered on by the frame should you bottom the suspension out.