'92 - '97 Rear Disc Upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'92 - '97 Rear Disc Upgrade?

Curious; what do I need to take off of a '94 MGM rear to convert to discs on my '86 CV? I imagine I would have to take everything down to the backing plate. Is there anything else that I need; aside from taking the whole unit off of the car? I am trying not to have to rebuild another rear for my CV.

THank You

need backing plates,parking brake cables and brackets, calipers for cores.

going to have to take the axles out of the rear at the yard to get the backing plates off.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Thanks Scott!!!

In the end, I will probably be rebuilding the axle I take off of the Aero.

Comment

Aero rears are slightly wider. Fits under a box fine, just something to be aware of if you've got really fat tires that don't have a lot of wheel well clearance though. Its something like 3/4" per side.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Plenty of clearance with "stock" tires and 255/50-17's I use

LOUD EXHAUST IS FUN! AM I SHOUTING?
          1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

More of an offset thing than strictly a width one I suppose. Just something to keep in mind. If there is little clearance now, moving the wheels outward ain't gonna work.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Does the stock proportioning valve provide the correct pressure?
              Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Yeah, in theory it's less than ideal, but in reality it still works quite well.
                The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

It holds some pressure on the rear brakes, and they end up wearing faster. There are also some other details that make it non-ideal. It does work though.

Comment

Do you have the pressure/proportional valve screwed into the master cylinder on the 86?
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

'86 has the all metal (be it steel or aluminum) master, the prop valve is not attached to those, instead it lives alone on the bracket bolted to the frame rail right under the brake booster. Can't do what you're thinking with that design.
                      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

yeah, involves a re-plumb. Can be done, has been done on my car, its just somewhat annoying. Its worth doing, but if the lines and/or MC are not in questionable shape, it can be put off.

Comment

ok
                          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I have everything short of hard metal brake line so you can upgrade to disc. Ford oem parking brake cables for 1993 Town Car. Backing plates, calipers new remans, new pads, brake hoses...just need rotors
                            -Nick M.
                            Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                            03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
                              I have everything short of hard metal brake line so you can upgrade to disc. Ford oem parking brake cables for 1993 Town Car. Backing plates, calipers new remans, new pads, brake hoses...just need rotors
                              Ooh how much you want for all that shizz? I never have time to screw around at the junk yard. Is there a hardline that'll fit or does it need to be fabbed? Rotors are no biggie.

Comment

Working...
                              X