Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anti Freeze Smell

Ok all,
    Just changed my water pump, timing cover and Timing chain, do to leaks, also changed all hoses in front of motor.
    Now i notice an anti freeze smell when i turn the heat on the first few seconds its on, then it goes away.
    What could be causing this? Or could it be just pulling in the remains of the coolant smell that leaked all over?

I dont see any wet marks on the ground from leaks, nor is my carpet wet on the pass side floor , like a heater core leak.

If you put new heater hoses on, check that they are not having a little drip at the heater core. Buggers are hard to get tight.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Didn't change those
      Just the radiator , thermostat bypass and the one small curved heater hose from the water pump that feeds the heater core
      But the ones at the firewall weren't touched

Comment

still worth making sure they aren't leaking, same with the rest of the connections. Also not impossible the heater core is bad if the cooling system is making pressure now and was not before.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Gadget
          Thanks
          Didn't think about the pressure now
          Since the leak is gone and a new pump
          Is in.
          Time for some dye and a black light

Comment

heater core, you fixed all the lower pressure leaks. one of my friends has a theory on this, suprized he don't have a flow chart lol.
            what psi is your radiator cap?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

heh, the Dancy leak pressure theorum?
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X