X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90's LTD Wagon Amp location

Group
    trying to find the stereo Amp in my 90 wagon,
    Looked on the right rear area by the spare tire well, that i saw posted and nothing there?
    SOmewhere else to look? Changed headunits and the amp is distorting everything.
    Non Premium Sound system too..
    Last edited by 9t3lightning; 05-15-2017, 08:11 AM.

can also be behind the rear glove box.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If you have a "non premium sound system" there is no amp! WagonMan
      89 Colony Park
      90 Colony Park
      70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Could be potential blown speaker issue. Use fader controls to isolate which one it is.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Lol
          Ok then that's weird
          I thought all fords used an amp

Comment

Can't be changed door speakers and added new 6x9s in the back

Comment

Ok let me check that
              Guess I need to find a wiring diagram for 1990

Comment

If you have non premium sound, you don't have an amp. If it's distorted now and wasn't before, it's because your new headunit is not capable of driving speakers without an amp.

Comment

Or your head unit is dying. Not 100%, but its possible there is some common ground crap going on, modern stereos are not compatible with that. Confirmate with the wiring diagram.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The door speakers can be changed. Just need the right size.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                      If you have non premium sound, you don't have an amp. If it's distorted now and wasn't before, it's because your new headunit is not capable of driving speakers without an amp.
                      Annnd most aren't capable of driving speakers without an external amp, despite what the sticker on the box says. With aftermarket speakers but no external amp you might as well implement a high pass filter for stuff under 120hz or so to keep from overdriving the amp and blowing speaks.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      Or your head unit is dying. Not 100%, but its possible there is some common ground crap going on, modern stereos are not compatible with that. Confirmate with the wiring diagram.
                      This too, although I thought they got rid of that starting in '87 or '86?

Originally posted by sly View Post
                      The door speakers can be changed. Just need the right size.
                      As a resident JBL hoarder I have what you need if needed. I don't have many JBL door speakers but I have loads of premium ones. I have old tape decks too, the ones with the square type connectors.

Comment

Not sure what happened on my post
                        Dam spell check
                        But should be I changed my door speakers and added 6x9s in the back
                        It distorts at high volume and anything with bass in it . Rock music that is not rap. 😄

Comment

Rock music is where it's at.

Now, rock or not, bass is what requires the most power to drive so for the time being, see if your radio has a high pass filter. If it does, enable it. If it has multiple settings you can play around until you find the setting which lets you have the maximum bass response without the distortion. I recommended 120hz as a starting point, numbers lower than that correspond to deeper bass. 120-400hz is kinda the buzzy range as I like to call it, bass guitar & tube hum stuff. If your stereo has an equalizer you could also decrease the response for those frequencies.

Comment

Ah... if it's distorting at high volume, that's one of 2 things... the head unit doesn't have enough punch to drive the speakers or the wire is too small to handle the power the amp is wanting to deliver. I've had no issues with 50Wx4 head units (RMS is typically around 22-23W) until high volume and it's usually the head unit's internal amp that's crap. If you have a higher power head unit, the restriction will be the wires and you'll have to run new wires. I've had no issues with my old Kenwood eXcelon head unit. It's nice and clean up to my pain threshold (which is lower than most bass heads). The speakers rattling the car on the other hand... looks like I need to put some sound deadener on my rear deck in the beater. Seems the stock grill likes to bounce on the deck.

Comment

Working...
                            X